First off, congratulations to Brad for being selected one of
Crane's 40 under 40. I'm sure it's a great honor in the business world. It
doesn't hold any weight here though
Today, I started out by showing Brad (suit boy) what we
accomplished last night with the lighting. Then we all talked about how good
Homeworld2 looks. But, we won't be doing that anytime soon as our current
project is really just a board game. That's fine. Actually, that's the way I
prefer it. But it doesn't mean that we can't do all the cool effects that you
find in Homeworld2. There's a lot more DX9 learning I'll have to do before I
Oh, another congratulations to my buddy Natasha Tatarchuk.
You didn't know it, but Natasha works at ATI and is currently on the GDC
circuit pushing RenderMonkey. We'll probably end up using it in this project
(especially if I can get extra help from her).
[That's a Russian toast
she taught me]
I managed to squeeze in some time for Scott. Technically,
I'm still on PoliticalMachine. It's just that the current project is taking up
all my time.
I spent quite a bit of time today working with Cari to get
our ships to display properly on the board.
The rest of the day I dedicated to getting the lighting
situation squared away. To that end, I decided to not to use DX9 effects.
They'll come in later. As soon as I can get a good handle on RenderMonkey we'll
be incorporating it. If you haven't heard of or used RenderMonkey, I think you
should. Check it out at ATI's site. It's quite a step up from EffectEdit, which
I've been using.
Anyways, back to the project. We're now using the FixedFunction
TnL for our ships now. I managed to get the lighting situation squared away. Our
ships are lit properly and the stars even emit light. Check it out.
Finished off the day by making sure all our stuff was
checked in and adding some special camera lerping code to do the "Alexg"
effect when you zoom the camera. Really, it looks like the "Ken