It is finding the drivers that is the problem. I contacted Acer and they were not much help. Apparently they have no compatible drivers on their site. I only got basic instructions.
Changing from Windows 8 to another operating system
I bought a system with Windows 8, can I install a different operating system?
You can install an operating system different from what shipped on your computer. If you choose to do so, you are responsible for locating and installing any drivers or software needed. Acer will not be able to troubleshoot any issues you have while installing or using another operating system.
Use the following steps to to install another operating system.
- Make a backup on a USB flash drive in case you wish to reinstall Windows 8. For more information, please visit Create Factory Default Backup in Windows 8.
- Insert your installation media and completely shut down your computer.
- Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS and disable Secure boot for notebooks or change the BIOS mode to Legacy BIOS for desktops.
- Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
- Press the RIGHT arrow key to select Boot and use the DOWN arrow key to select the installation media type and press F6 to move it to the top of the list.
- Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
- The system will load from your installation media. Follow the on-screen instructions to install your operating system.
Anyone want to buy a laptop less then a week old?