WindowFX 5 Beta Feedback Thread

By on February 9, 2012 4:40:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+606

We will use this thread for feedback on the beta releases for WindowFX 5.

When posting an issue, please provide as much information as possible:

• OS
  • Version number of WFX
  • Detailed description of issue
  • Screenshot (if possible)
  • The graphics card(s) you have and the driver version if known
  • Your screen resolution

If you need to start a support ticket, please e-mail support@stardock.com or visit http://esupport.stardock.com/

Thank you for your help!

Pinned Post 191 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 9, 2012 5:30:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Does WinFX4 need to de uninstaled before you install the new Beta.

February 9, 2012 5:44:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The uninstall of WinFX4 for me didn not complete properly.  Despite showing everything being successful, the process was still in memory and the DLLs didn'get deleted (Win7 64bit, SP1).  After uninstallation, I had to manually kill the processes and then delete all files.  THEN I installed WinFX5 and it worked.

I'm surprised that there isn't an open animation choice for menus.  They is only close animations for menus.  Why is that?  Is this something new to come down the road?

The wobbly window feature is cool, but the windows aren't very wobbly.  Is there a way to control the "wobbliness" of windows?

February 9, 2012 5:45:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Start menu animation is only for Win7. Am I correct on this? Because I don't see the tab in the control panel in Vista as I did on my Win7 Laptop.

I just installed it over FX4.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 9, 2012 6:00:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 7 is required for the new animations.

February 9, 2012 6:05:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you Neil.

I tried to uninstall FX4 and it told me I had to reinstall Impulse.

February 9, 2012 7:15:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you installed any Stardock application using Impulse you will need to use Impulse to uninstall.. Sorry.

February 9, 2012 7:56:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I once deactivatet the "fade windows to semi transparency when moving..." function. Now the windows are not semi transparent anymore, when moving, while they still are when resizing. I have it active again of course. I'am using Win 7 prof 64 bit and the current available beta.

Besides that, I really really love it so far! All the new animations, amazing!

Edit: Deactivating and reactivating the whole movement functions with "enable Window momentum", has not helped either.

Edit²: Now I have a white semi transparent bar on my desktop: http://www.imagebanana.com/view/z6wvd5dx/desktopwfx.jpg

I just was browsing the web until I minimized a full screen window and saw this. It is the bar that is only present when minimizing something whith pulling the window to the taskbar.

I restarted the windows explorer. There now was a second windowfx task in my taskbar. Which had no text, only an icon and I could not close it nor open it. But after I closed the main windowfx window, the second task and also the white bar disappeard!

But now there is an explorer task running, which has no text and I cannot close it nor open it: http://www.imagebanana.com/view/n176zg4f/desktopwfx2.jpg

Edit³: This task now finally gone after I fully disabled and enabled WindowFx5.

February 9, 2012 8:47:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The new Stardock activation program doesn't appear to work through a proxy, so I can't activate my copy at work. I sniffed the traffic with Wireshark and it wasn't even trying to go through the proxy, it was just connecting directly which won't work. WindowBlinds 7's activation program worked fine when I used it at work a few months ago, and so did Impulse a couple years ago.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I will work around the problem so I don't need to wait for them to fix it.

February 9, 2012 8:47:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Version 5.0

Win 7 64 bit (new install on new SSD)

nVidia 220 GT with 1 GB DDR3

Wobble isn't real smooth.

February 9, 2012 8:47:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kinger,
Does WinFX4 need to de uninstaled before you install the new Beta.

For me, the 5.0 installer uninstalled WinFX 4 before install.

February 9, 2012 8:49:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
  • Win 7 Home SP1 64 bit
  • WinFX 5.0

The Wobbly windows is very choppy on movement. Smaller windows are more smooth.

My Graphics card.

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370
Device ID 68E4
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 1641
Subsystem Vendor ID 103C

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.020.000.046
BIOS Part Number BR38059.016
BIOS Date 2011/02/17

Memory Size 512 MB
Memory Type DDR3

Core Clock in MHz 750 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 800 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 12.8 GByte/s

Edit: Turning off ObjectDock 2 or CursorFX has a moderate improvement on the Wobbly Windows.

2nd Edit: Another reboot after install seems to fix my issue, running very smoothly now!

February 9, 2012 8:49:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
If you installed any Stardock application using Impulse you will need to use Impulse to uninstall..

.......before you install from the store.

That should on the SD store/SDC Client in HUGE red letters. I don't think the message got out to everyone. It would save a lot of people some headaches.

February 10, 2012 11:17:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I restore a window, it first just pops up and then the aninamation is played. On my Windows 7 Prof 64 bit. All the other animations work totally fine.

February 10, 2012 11:20:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Asound,
When I restore a window, it first just pops up and then the aninamation is played. On my Windows 7 Prof 64 bit. All the other animations work totally fine.

Is this all windows, or just some and do you have anything else running that might alter animations or the appearance of Windows?

February 10, 2012 11:35:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Odd. Did original installation with Impulse, but installed just fine from the store. Just asked for the serial.

February 10, 2012 11:38:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It does happen to any window. But only when "make windows under the active window darken..." is active and all windows are minimized. As long as any other window is currently present on the desktop, the restore animation of additional windows works fine.

February 10, 2012 10:06:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you very much for this amazing new version. I love WinFX before and I love it even more now. All the animations are running great with no hiccups. However, I noticed some nuances that could be improved.

* If I have "Make windows under the active window darken..." checked, whenever I open/restore a window, it appears in its opened/restored state briefly and then disappears before the animation starts and completes normally. This becomes annoying after a while as it detracts from the cool animations. My solution for now is to disable the darken effect but I'd love to use it too.

* "Wobbly windows" doesn't work together with the "Fade windows to semi-transparent" effect. "Wobbly windows" takes precedence.

* I'd also love opening animations for menus but you probably have plans for it in later releases.

Apart from that, the program is working wonderfully. Thanks again for the animations!

Edit: I just noticed Asound mentioned the same point. It is as he said. The pop-up only appears if the darken effect is not active, i.e. when all windows are minimized. Works fine if there's a window open and the background is already darkened.

Edit: Win7 x64, WindowFX 5.0 Beta

February 11, 2012 12:37:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Version 5.0

Win 7 64 bit (new install on new SSD)

nVidia 220 GT with 1 GB DDR3

Wobble isn't real smooth.

OK, upgraded to an EVGA GeForce GTS450 GFX card

1024 MB GDDR5

Seems smoother now.

February 11, 2012 11:11:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

With some WB skins, mostly ones that don't have a straight titlebar and sides, I get a funky look when the window is flipped.

February 11, 2012 11:16:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Everything works just as it should. I think it is totally awesome Scott. Win7HP, x64, Intel i7860@2.8GHz, AMD 5750. The "Suck" and "Distort " options on opening is just way too cool. This is one great program. It has totally enhanced my computer pleasure. Thank you Scott and Thank you Stardock.  

February 11, 2012 12:19:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I do have a problem with the window flip on my notebook: http://www.imagebanana.com/view/9zu7741e/notebook.jpg

Okay, it depends on the windowsblinds skin I have active. With Subsecret for example, this problem is also fully present on my computer, which is currently in use on my notebook. The skin I had active on my computer first (Nocturne), made no problems. So I thought that this is just a problem of my notebook, which isn't.

Edit: I see now that a window is not semi transparent while moving anymore due to wobbly windows.

About windowflip: The Icon that is displayed there, is always the default icon, which is normaly in use, if the file or exe does not have a specific icon. No matter if the application I have flipped is actually having a specific icon.

Edit²: Sometimes it happens that the "terminate app" button is not there. If I just open the win explorer, it is not present, until I flip it a second time.

See here, there you an also see the default icon of my icon packager theme, even though the explorer.exe does have an own icon: http://www.imagebanana.com/view/0urzo9qf/flip.jpg

February 11, 2012 12:42:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

if anyone that has WIN 7 64bit please see if it does this on yours .

use MS's Magnify to zoom in then click onto the title bar and hold then move the window.. did / does your window disappeared then return when you un-click the Title Bar?

I move this one here do to my post was fixed

but this one is not yet... and that this was not part of my OP on my post

February 11, 2012 12:47:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Disturbedcomputer,
if anyone that has WIN 7 64bit please see if it does this on yours .

Yep, that happens to me too.

Edit: The "enable Window shake" function is always functionable, even if disabled.

February 11, 2012 1:31:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Asound,
Edit: The "enable Window shake" function is always functionable, even if disabled.

I don't remember but I think that is part of window also..  or they have a shake thing

Asound do you have Display Fusion ?  just want to see if I can say it's not or is part of the issue  I do have it?

February 11, 2012 1:48:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never have anything heard of a shake function, but that does not mean anything.

I do not have Display Fusion.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.