WindowFX 5 Beta Feedback Thread

By on February 9, 2012 4:40:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+610

We will use this thread for feedback on the beta releases for WindowFX 5.

When posting an issue, please provide as much information as possible:

• OS
  • Version number of WFX
  • Detailed description of issue
  • Screenshot (if possible)
  • The graphics card(s) you have and the driver version if known
  • Your screen resolution

If you need to start a support ticket, please e-mail support@stardock.com or visit http://esupport.stardock.com/

Thank you for your help!

Pinned Post 192 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 13, 2012 9:16:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gevansmd,
I like WindowsFX ability to make background windows either dim or transparent EXCEPT it also affects my Desktop image, at least when I'm running Deskscapes.  Can you make an option to NOT affect the desktop background?

The feature is designed to darken anything under the active window which includes the wallpaper with or without Deskscapes.

We have been asked before and the answer remains the same.  This is an all or nothing kind of feature due to how it works.

February 14, 2012 4:28:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

foobar2000 v.1.1.8 goes invisible when I grip the top and move the application window around the desktop.

Titlebar blur goes inactive (sharp) when I move any window.

Minimize icon on iTunes 10.5.3.3 does not animate but taskbar icon does. 

[Windows 7 32-bit, GTX280]

February 14, 2012 6:13:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unable to disable window Shake on windows 7 64bit. Even with a reg hack. When i disable the program the reg hack works.

+Same bug still found from FX4, Dragging the taskbar while its locked slides it out of place.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 14, 2012 6:19:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting xxinightxx,
+Same bug still found from FX4, Dragging the taskbar while its locked slides it out of place.
Confirmed.

February 14, 2012 8:27:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting xxinightxx, reply 53+Same bug still found from FX4, Dragging the taskbar while its locked slides it out of place.Confirmed.

also confirmed. but it doesn't matter if it's locked or not it still moves when dragging although it can be used to switch between vertical/horizontal taskbar quickly without having to go through the right click menu > properties etc..

February 15, 2012 3:50:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just got WFX5 beta today.

My reports.

Everything works fine with some exceptions:

1) Wobbly doesn't work at all, the window disappears for a while when I move it.

2) Start menu animations don't work, the start menu draws the user icon first then the start menu shows up without any transition.

3) Menu close animations don't work, none of them.

4) Window flip animation on middle click don't have any transition, I can see the info but the whole window doesn't draw.

Request: What about maximize and restore (from maximize) animations? I think a quick eased re sizing animation would look sooo neat.

Win7 Ultimate SP1

16gb RAM

Intel i7 2720QM 2.2ghz

AMD Radeon HD6750M

No fancy skinning, just plain aero, no transparency. Working transitions are really smooth, super good looking

Objectdock plus 2 installed too

BTW: Guys (Stardock Team), since you're experts in windows GUI and Aero....how can you explain why Aero behaves so sluggish at times? is a common problem not everybody is able to spot, but some of us geeks can tell that the framerate drops from time to time.

I'm part of the FL studio beta core team and I can tell u, Gol (Didier, main programmer) is really pissed off by this.

Basically the whole Win7 GUI framerate varies constantly and is easily noticeable when using WFX transitions (no is not a WFX problem, is how Aero and the graphics card work together)

I was hoping to find some light about this subject because we are basically going crazy over the FL forums trying to find the cause, this happens in a whole variety of systems (mine is fairly new and the graphics card is quite fast)

Thanks!

February 15, 2012 2:23:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After a reboot everything in WFX5 is working fine!

Really smooth BTW

February 15, 2012 3:09:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Spyrofunk,
After a reboot everything in WFX5 is working fine!

Really smooth BTW

I am glad you said that as I was wondering how the animations were not working right on hardware which clearly was up to the job.

Regarding the slowdowns in the DWM that sometimes happen (a drop to 30fps with or without WFX), this is something I too find frustrating.  It is far more common with a multiple monitor setup than a single monitor setup and I think it may be a bug in the DWM as my tests on Win8 did not show the same problem.

February 15, 2012 6:29:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, I have a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5215 With Win7 SP1, 8GB RAM, etc. and plenty of Stardock software. When I read about the WindowFX gallery and the ability to extract animation scripts into the scripts folder for WindowFX 5, I decided to give this a try with the "genie" animation. Sure enough, this appeared in the WindowFX 5 animation dialog box. As soon as I selected the Genie animation, however, Windows Explorer started crashing over and over again: as soon as it would restart, it would crash again. Bringing up the Task Manager to kill the WindowFX processes was not effective, it would not let me kill the process. Rebooting was of no use. I had to reboot my parallel installation of Linux (I supposed Windows Safe Mode would have been an option as well), browse to the WFX5 scripts folder and delete the two Genie scripts in order to solve the problem. 

I would suggest coming up with a safer way to try out animation scripts. Perhaps we could have the option to not have the animation take immediate effect when selected, as this is probably the reason why Windows Explorer started crashing ad infinitum. That way, if something does go wrong, it only goes wrong once, when previewing the effect. Thoughts, anyone?

February 16, 2012 2:09:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting Spyrofunk, reply 57After a reboot everything in WFX5 is working fine!

Really smooth BTW

I am glad you said that as I was wondering how the animations were not working right on hardware which clearly was up to the job.

Regarding the slowdowns in the DWM that sometimes happen (a drop to 30fps with or without WFX), this is something I too find frustrating.  It is far more common with a multiple monitor setup than a single monitor setup and I think it may be a bug in the DWM as my tests on Win8 did not show the same problem.

Hmm glad to know it doesn't happen in Win8, thanks for your reply I really appreciate it.

Did you ever get an official statement from Microsoft on this regard?

February 17, 2012 12:16:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Having a strange problem in Photoshop CS5.

When I move a window in PS, it disappears until I let it go. When I mouse down to drag it, it disappears, with an effect. When I mouse up and release it, after move, I also get an effect as it reappears.

And when I import more images, they don't show up until I move an existing window.

Version 5.0

Win 7 64 bit (new install on new SSD)

nVidia 220 GT with 1 GB DDR3

32 bit Photoshop maximized

All animations set to random in WinFX 5. All choices unchecked on the Inactive Windows tab. Window flicks disabled. Window shake disabled in Win 7 and in WinFX 5.

Fade to semi transparent disabled. Everything unchecked on the Window Management tab.

February 17, 2012 3:05:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i love this app. i can't believe that this is a beta. it works perfect. i use it for a few days and i have no issues. i use the option "random animation each time" and it rocks!

good job in this one!

February 17, 2012 1:24:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After a series of reboots, the problem of some animations seems to randomly happen, sometimes is fine, sometimes they are gone (this is regarding my initial reply). Just for the heads up so you can check that up.

February 18, 2012 2:39:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ah yeah I forgot.

This happens in WFX4 and WFX5 as well, when disabling WFX within it's own window explorer ALWAYS crash.

February 18, 2012 5:42:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Spyrofunk,
Ah yeah I forgot.

This happens in WFX4 and WFX5 as well, when disabling WFX within it's own window explorer ALWAYS crash.

Does that vary depending on what features are on?

February 19, 2012 2:34:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I used the latest beta since day one. I don't had any "graphics" issue like some other. The WindowFX process never crashed, but I had many issues with the explorer.exe process... :

1st Issue - I cannot tell about any kind of behavior pattern, but sometimes after few hours, the ability to highlight and select more than one file on the Desktop had gone, I just can take them one by one. BUT this bug doesn't affect any other explorer.exe Windows process. I can open any folder and select many folder at once, at the same time that I can't on desktop.

So I decide to kill the processes, and I saw :
wfx32.exe *32
wfx64.exe
WindowFXSRV.exe *32

- I want to know, why it seem to be able to execute the software on x64 and don't do it?
- And why the both process are activated?

2nd Issue - There is an another bug that I've found. Same as the first, after randomized period of time. The Show Desktop button (on the bottom right corner) doesn't work anymore.

3rd Issue - This time it's a bug with the "Screen edge window resizing" function :
When I select a Window and I drag it to the top left corner (This is specific to this area, the bug is only here), BUT I don't release the mouse button (cause I've finally decide to not resizing it), then I re-drag it anywhere on the screen (not on another corner area), and Voila, the windows finally drag themselves to the top left corner.

My configuration :

PROC : Intel core i7 960 @ 3.20 Ghz
RAM : 12GB Triple channel DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz
GRAPHICS CARD : Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
SCREENS : Only one - 1920x1080
HARD DRIVES : OS on SSD

- There is any possibility to restart the WindowFX software after it crash? Cause I can't, even if I restart explorer.exe!
- Would you next time, put an update feature for the beta software? More convenient than check the latest new (if you plan to update other beta).
+ A sending report submission form for each crash.
+ A easy way to send a text of all Software configuration, the enabled and disabled effects/options. To find a pattern on Issues with multiple submission.
- Can you add the "Animations"/"Open animations"/"Menus" with all the effect of the same categories than "Close animations"?
- Even with the explanation I really don't understand how the Window Flick are and how it work? ^^

February 19, 2012 8:06:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting elvee,

Win 7 Home SP1 64 bit
WinFX 5.0

The Wobbly windows is very choppy on movement. Smaller windows are more smooth.

2nd Edit: Another reboot after install seems to fix my issue, running very smoothly now!

That happen to me too. Working great since my first restart.

February 19, 2012 8:42:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've restarted plenty of times but the wobbly movement is pretty choppy on large windows. I've had to disable that feature altogether

February 19, 2012 11:31:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Using it and liking it... alot.  I'm using the fade option for moving windows.  I tested wobbly and its working fine here.

Right now I have FX5 set to random everything except the Start Panel.

February 19, 2012 12:21:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Having a strange problem in Photoshop CS5.

When I move a window in PS, it disappears until I let it go. When I mouse down to drag it, it disappears, with an effect. When I mouse up and release it, after move, I also get an effect as it reappears.

And when I import more images, they don't show up until I move an existing window.

Version 5.0

Win 7 64 bit (new install on new SSD)

nVidia 220 GT with 1 GB DDR3

32 bit Photoshop maximized

All animations set to random in WinFX 5. All choices unchecked on the Inactive Windows tab. Window flicks disabled. Window shake disabled in Win 7 and in WinFX 5.

Fade to semi transparent disabled. Everything unchecked on the Window Management tab.

I use Photoshop on a daily basis. I'd like to do the same with WinFX 5. I wonder, is this being looked at?  

Edit:, new gfx card. EVGA GeForce GTS 450.

February 19, 2012 3:11:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting RedneckDude, reply 61Having a strange problem in Photoshop CS5.

I use Photoshop on a daily basis. I'd like to do the same with WinFX 5. I wonder, is this being looked at?  

Edit:, new gfx card. EVGA GeForce GTS 450.

This is being looked at, but in the short term you can exclude Photoshop from animations.  Doing so would avoid this problem.  You can do this via the exclude applications from animations button under Misc animations.

February 19, 2012 3:19:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CitizenhanceR,
Well, I used the latest beta since day one. I don't had any "graphics" issue like some other. The WindowFX process never crashed, but I had many issues with the explorer.exe process... :

1st Issue - I cannot tell about any kind of behavior pattern, but sometimes after few hours, the ability to highlight and select more than one file on the Desktop had gone, I just can take them one by one. BUT this bug doesn't affect any other explorer.exe Windows process. I can open any folder and select many folder at once, at the same time that I can't on desktop.

So I decide to kill the processes, and I saw :
wfx32.exe *32
wfx64.exe
WindowFXSRV.exe *32

- I want to know, why it seem to be able to execute the software on x64 and don't do it?
- And why the both process are activated?

2nd Issue - There is an another bug that I've found. Same as the first, after randomized period of time. The Show Desktop button (on the bottom right corner) doesn't work anymore.

3rd Issue - This time it's a bug with the "Screen edge window resizing" function :
When I select a Window and I drag it to the top left corner (This is specific to this area, the bug is only here), BUT I don't release the mouse button (cause I've finally decide to not resizing it), then I re-drag it anywhere on the screen (not on another corner area), and Voila, the windows finally drag themselves to the top left corner.

My configuration :

PROC : Intel core i7 960 @ 3.20 Ghz
RAM : 12GB Triple channel DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz
GRAPHICS CARD : Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
SCREENS : Only one - 1920x1080
HARD DRIVES : OS on SSD

- There is any possibility to restart the WindowFX software after it crash? Cause I can't, even if I restart explorer.exe!
- Would you next time, put an update feature for the beta software? More convenient than check the latest new (if you plan to update other beta).
+ A sending report submission form for each crash.
+ A easy way to send a text of all Software configuration, the enabled and disabled effects/options. To find a pattern on Issues with multiple submission.
- Can you add the "Animations"/"Open animations"/"Menus" with all the effect of the same categories than "Close animations"?
- Even with the explanation I really don't understand how the Window Flick are and how it work? ^^

We have not had any other reports of problems with explorer not being able to highlight files or use the show desktop button.  Are you sure the desktop window doesn't think a key is stuck down?  Is Taskmanager showing an unusual amount of memory usage for explorer at the time?

The screen edge issue on the top left has been reproduced and fixed internally.  Thanks for reporting this.

I am a little confused about your need to restart the software as you mention at the top that the WindowFX process never crashes so I am unsure why you would need to restart them.  Under no circumstances should you terminate the WindowFX processes such as wfx32, wfx64 or WindowFXSrv as doing so may have unpredicable results.  The 32 bit process runs on 64 bit OSes as well due to how Windows implements things and on a 64 bit OS you need a 32 and 64 bit process for the kind of thing WindowFX does.

For technical reasons we do not allow animations for opening menus and this is likely to remain the case going forward.

Window Flicks are actions that can be performed when you hold down the mouse button on a titlebar of a window, rapidly move the mouse in a specific direction and then release the mouse button all within a short period of time.

February 19, 2012 3:20:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Spyrofunk,
Ah yeah I forgot.

Do you have any other software which would be doing things in Explorer running?

Also do you mean within its own window, not its own explorer window?

February 19, 2012 3:41:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jakob Grau,
Okay, I have a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5215 With Win7 SP1, 8GB RAM, etc. and plenty of Stardock software. When I read about the WindowFX gallery and the ability to extract animation scripts into the scripts folder for WindowFX 5, I decided to give this a try with the "genie" animation. Sure enough, this appeared in the WindowFX 5 animation dialog box. As soon as I selected the Genie animation, however, Windows Explorer started crashing over and over again: as soon as it would restart, it would crash again. Bringing up the Task Manager to kill the WindowFX processes was not effective, it would not let me kill the process. Rebooting was of no use. I had to reboot my parallel installation of Linux (I supposed Windows Safe Mode would have been an option as well), browse to the WFX5 scripts folder and delete the two Genie scripts in order to solve the problem. 

I would suggest coming up with a safer way to try out animation scripts. Perhaps we could have the option to not have the animation take immediate effect when selected, as this is probably the reason why Windows Explorer started crashing ad infinitum. That way, if something does go wrong, it only goes wrong once, when previewing the effect. Thoughts, anyone?

The issue with the user created Genie animation has been reproduced and resolved.

Generally speaking animations should not cause a problem, but the best thing may be to detect if a crash happens and if so disable the animation to prevent further problems.

February 19, 2012 3:51:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TwoWolves,
foobar2000 v.1.1.8 goes invisible when I grip the top and move the application window around the desktop.

Titlebar blur goes inactive (sharp) when I move any window.

Minimize icon on iTunes 10.5.3.3 does not animate but taskbar icon does. 

[Windows 7 32-bit, GTX280]

The latest version of foobar 2000 I could find was 1.1.11 and this is not having any problems with WindowFX animations that I can see.

All animations in Windows have no blur enabled while an animation is taking place.  This can be seen by looking closely at the default OS animations or Flip3D.  There are good performance reasons why this is the case.

We are looking into iTunes to see if anything can be done or not.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001218   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.