Help with tutorials

By on September 29, 2010 12:56:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

k10w3

Join Date 11/2007
+770

Hi everybody -

I was trying to go through sViz's tutorials at Wincustomize Wiki, so I could finally learn to create simple widgets with DX to match my Windowblind themes, and ran into some problems.  The first one, the shortcut, was perfect.  I got to the digital clock and could make a text clock but couldn't put it on a graphic.  By the time I got to the fourth one, where you're suppose to modify/tweak "The Cat" desktop, my desktop was a total mess.  First off, "The Cat" contains one of the nonfunctioning weather objects, so I couldn't do a thing to modify it, because I kept getting popups to provide a valid zipcode.  I don't know how to clear the desktop when I want to scrap a project.  I had to turn DX Builder Mode off through task manager, but anytime I reopened it to start a new project, BAM, there's that old cat again, asking me for a valid zipcode.

All I want to do is make clocks and weather widgets for my skins.  Can't somebody please make a step-by-step tutorial with these widgets in it for me?  I would be really grateful.

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 29, 2010 2:33:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Karen. I used "The Cat" desktop as an example of something to match the clock to. You don't need to load it, only the Clear Clock.

To stop the weather zipcode from popping up, you'll have to disconnect from the internet, and then you can proceed to remove/delete the malfunctioning parts.

The weather widget in the second part of the tutorial is obsolete--the newest weather template can be found HERE--but it's still good practice for taking apart a widget.

Some themes replace the taskbar and remove icons. To access the DX Builder controls there, r-click anywhere on the desktop and a custom menu should appear. Go to the DesktopX Builder option to get the DX Builder commands--new desktop, unload, etc. Otherwise, you can r-click on the DX Builder icon in the system tray to get the same options.

To apply the digital clock to a background, you need to create another object for the background. Then position the digital clock over the background. From there you can either group the objects together, or r-click on the digital clock and Set Parent to the background object.

I'll be updating those tuts, soon.

September 29, 2010 3:57:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you so much for your quick response. 

It's kind of difficult going from graphics-type skinning mode to DX, which is more scripts/programming mode, but I will not give up until I figure it out.  I just need to figure out how to wrap my head around it.

I look forward to your updated tuts.

September 29, 2010 4:07:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And you can always ask ole RND for help, I'll be more than happy.  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 29, 2010 10:01:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK...I got the digital clock the way I want it (it's so exciting!!!)  How do I save it as a widget so I can upload it?

Never mind....I figured it out.  WOOHOO...I can DO this!

September 30, 2010 4:27:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

September 30, 2010 4:28:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Eve! 

September 30, 2010 4:51:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Howdy Jim!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.