Well, This was basically a focus on closing out my main project which was making the personal pages much faster.
Some highlights from the project:
- I worked with Andrew_ on this project and we split the project into 2 pieces:
1. Create a system for all controls to inherit from and give all possible controls the ability to become static html files and once that class is made, convert all the necessary controls to use this system. -- Not an easy task
2. In junction with the system created in #1, there is a need for a set of flags that interact with these updated controls which basically tell the control to hide or show itself. With this system, there is some database administration needed to store these flags for each site in the proper db tables. After this is all set,
These flags have to be set properly based on the current personal page, and then need to hide/show the newly updated controls based on the value of these flags.
Hopefully not too confusing!
I was in charge of #2.
I did the DB administration stuff, made sure the flags were being populated correctly from the db into our site object, and then had to go to where each of our updated controls were located, and set it's visibility based upon these flags.
Here's a little snibbet just incase you were curious:
CurrentSite.Flags = new ControlFlags(CurrentSiteID)
Control_MyArticles.Visible = CurrentSite.Flags("MyArticles").Value
so in the code above, if you have created any type of articles, the flag will be true, thus showing them, and if you have yet to create an article, it will hide the articles control of the home page.
I hope this will help with browsing the personal pages!
one minor note: since these changes are only on the personal pages and not yet uploaded to the main Wincustomize.com, you may see some inconsistencies between your personal page and the main website.
For example, you create a forum post from the main site and check the box to display as an article, this article will not show in your recent articles list yet.
Also worked on a few bugs:
1. Article Referrals not showing correctly: giving an error -- Fixed, had to update a procedure
2. If an article has 10 pages of comments, and you are currently viewing the 2nd page, then decide to comment, it should return you to the last page where your new comment exists. -- Verified, and it works
Next week i will be starting on a system which will allow forum moderators. This feature alot of forums have which we do not so it is time to implement. After that, possibly Skin Moderators!!
Our overall goal for moderator system is to have a system in place where we can promote users of WC who really help out the community in many ways.
Well, crappy weather in michigan again!!!! have a great weekend all