After using Fences for almost 5 months now, there are a few annoyances I hope to see fixed/changed in the future.
First of all. things I have seen already brought up, but I'd like to give my feedback on possible 'solutions':
- Multi Monitor switching Fences or stacking them on top of each other on one screen. Again I know it has been reported, and that you can make snapshots and restore them (hopefully it restores perfectly), but I'd like to ask for a feature to quickly restore positions without opening the Fences configuration app. For example, add an additional right click context menu when on Desktop "Restore Last Snapshot". Even better if Fences detects change in the display configuration and either attempts to automatically restore last snapshot, or displays a confirmation message box asking whether it should do so (this should be configurable from settings).
- Preventing reordering of items is also a highly requested change, but from what I can tell it doesn't look like the developers can change it for now. Either way, I am just putting my voice out there. Hopefully we see some change in future versions.
And now my personal problems, mainly with folder fences:
- Reordering items is really annoying, most of the time it just goes to the end of the fence, especially if the fence has a lot of content and is a scrollable container.
- I'd like to ask for a way to lock a folder fence to a certain view (for example 'list' view), such that, the any directory including sub-folders are displayed with that view style. In my case, I have a folder fence in 'Details (Large)' view, where I want to always see file Size and Date modified at all time, including all it's sub-folders.
- Also with folder fences in detailed view, if I change the column widths below some value, they don't get saved properly. I suspect it is because there a minimum width allowed for some reason. Please remove or decrease it. Example:
<- I want the Status column to be shorter so that the Size column can also fit, but it won't let me have it smaller than this!
- I have a Synology NAS drive, and have a folder that is synced with it displayed on the Desktop using Fences. The files in it are in an 'online only' mode, where they only get downloaded when the user attempts to access the said file. Everything works fine, except that, for some reason opening a folder containing .exe executables causes them to get downloaded, which is especially problematic with big executables. I haven't tried other cloud syncing clients though (Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox etc.), so I'd like to hear if others are having a similar problem? EDIT: Seems that it's not only .exe files, but some part of the .zip files are also triggering the download when viewed through Fences