Hi, I've been using Fences 1.0.1 in combination with Rainmeter for a very long time. And yesterday I upgraded to version 3.0.3.
I think there is still much to improve.
But most importantly:
When the screen resolution changes it's nice that my desktop scales (so I do not want to disable this), but I'm pretty sure there a number rounding issue.
When scaling to a lower resolution and back my layout shifts by a few pixels.
Right now I have two options. Either everytime the resoltion changed; I have to restore form a snapshot, or I have to restore the Registry ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences\Groups") from an exported backup.
This could be solved by storing the pixel values of the fences in the resolution in which they were created. Or something similar.
And these are just a few things I feel went overlooked:
[Layout & snapping]
- "Pixels apart when moving" should have an option for the edges of the screen too.
- There should be a %horizontal, %vertical way to order fences. In addition to a px,px input, also a px,px when dragging would be nice. Much like the "4 x 4" when changing fence size.
- When not using the desktop w/o fence and "Auto arrange icons" is on and you try to move an icon it asks "Turn off sorting?", but this only changes the "Sort by" value to "Nothing" and keeps the "Auto arrange icons" on, thus you're still unable to move the icon.
- "Reverse order" should be done before "Place folders first". So that you can have it sorted New -> Old and Folders -> Items.
- An option to have "View" setting presist throught all the sub folders, because right now I have to manualy select the icon size for each folder I open through a portal. This might have something to do with windows size settings for the folder opened throught the portal, because some folders start with other sizes than others, but there still should be this option.
- Have MouseButton 4 move a folder up/back. Like in every other thing that's used for navigating. (Internet browsers, other file explorers)
Since this is only day 1 of my Fences 3.0.3 usage I might update this thread.
P.S. I think there should be an "Improvement Suggestions" thread pinned, so that you don't get a lot of dupes. And so that users can add to eachothers ideas.