Proposed balance tweaks and changes (mostly reverting things back to original values and bringing charm back from vanilla):
- Research Matrix: TP down to 10 from 12. All other labs got reduced, this one was missed. AI cannot improve this once they get Discovery Sphere, but same happens to Torians and their Central Mine once they get Industrial Sector. Alternatively, increase the maintenance cost to 5.
- Maintenance Grid: Morale down from 25 to 20. Back when it was 1pp, it given 20% bonus. They also got additional morale from stalks, so they don't need this extra buff.
- Efficiency Studies V: Economy Ability down to 15 from 20. Research cost up to 3500 from 3000. Could use a bit lower AI value as well.
- Collectives costs: Yor are supposed to have strong manufacturing, but in early game it is far from truth. All races except Torian, Iconian, Drengin and Korath already have same or higher Social Production then Yor in the early game (I'm not counting the bonus from Distributed Energy Matrix tech, as it comes late). Industrial Theory, Planetary Improvements, Xeno Engineering, Industrial Revolution puts SP to 40. Yor achieves it with Xeno Engineering, Planetary Improvements and their racial bonus. In other words, their racial bonus is only there to keep their production from falling behind. In case of Military, they still have 20 more then generic race in the early game, but that is to be expected from race with strong manufacturing.
Simplest solution would be to reduce cost of their collectives. CU/Proposed
Basic Collective 50 / 45 - 10 more then factory of the same level
Manufacturing Collective 100 / 85 - 15 more then factory of the same level
Manufacturing Collective II - 150 / 125 - 20 more then factory of the same level
Manufacturing Collective III - 200 / 165 - 25 more then factory of the same level
Manufacturing Collective IV - 250 / 205 - 30 more then factory of the same level
This means that for example, you can build 5 Advanced Factories for 350 bc and 30 production, or 4 Collectives mk II for 340bc and 28 production.
Even simpler would be just increasing their Social bonus from 20 to 30 or 35, but previous solution is "cleaner".
- Government techs: remove Diplomacy and Influence from techs. In vanilla, they had lower Diplomacy then Drengin. Alternatively, remove Advanced and Expert Diplomacy, and reduce Xeno Persuasion from 20 to 5.
- Basic Replicator: cost back to vanilla value from 35 to 25. It already provides 1 less manufacturing, and most races get access to more techs granting +Social then Iconians do, no need to nerf them in this regard.
- Slave Pits: In vanilla, they were cheaper, but with less production. This was unique to Drengin/Korath, now they are just like generic factories with different skin.
Basic Slave Pit - 3/1/25 || 4/1/35 || 3/1/25
Slave Pit - 5/2/50 || 6/2/70 || 5/2/50
Slave Canyon - 10/3/120 || 10/3/105 || 10/3/105
This way they are weaker, but also built faster. So in the end it ends up the same. Also they are not carbon copies of generic improvements.
10 Basic Factories - 40 production, 14 Basic Slave Pits - 42.
10 Advanced Factories - 60 production, 14 Slave Pits - 70.
Slave Canyons are unchanged.
They get slightly cheaper "cost per output" for two reasons:
1. They can achieve lower maximum output per planet.
2. They lose more extra manufacturing from bonus tiles.
-Cost = 0.83 * Standard Equivalent. This results in a steep raise in TP.
While I think increasing it was a good idea, the numbers themselves are a bit too high. They get 10tp lab for 3900 tp investement, while generic races get same for 4600, but!
- They don't have 12 tp lab, so to compensate, they need to get to their 10 tp lab sooner - they do, but
- They need extra 2500 research to get their +20% research improvement which generic race unlocks sooner.
Diabolical Research - 100/400/200
Imaginative Research - 400/900/700
Ultimate Diabolical Research - 1200/2500/1800
Pain Amplification - 800/2500/1500
This lets them reach 10tp lab sooner, while still allowing them to get +20% improvement just before generic race gets his 10tp.
Or, we can again look into vanilla for guidance. In vanilla, basic lab was 6tp worth, now it is 4. Basic Slavling Lab was 4, and now it is still 4, because no one changed it. Ultimate Diabolical Lab actually skipped one tier of labs, but because it had to be reduced to 10 from 12, it is more standarized. But flavor is gone.
Slaveling Imagination Lab - 4/40 || 3/25
Improved Slaveling Lab - 6/75 || 5/55
Advanced Slaveling Lab - 8/110 || 7/85
Ultimate Slaveling Lab - 10/145 || 10/115
So almost same thing as with proposed changes for their Slave Pits.
Their tech tree is similar to Korath, and their starting bonuses are almost mirrored, with exception of Morale that Korath get. If it wasn't for that and their SA, they would be almost same. I suggest we bring back vanilla bonuses:
It is said they were elite warriors of Drengi, but it is not specified if it means their fleets or troops. In vanilla, they had lower Soldiering then Drengin, but higher Weapons and HP, so it points at the former. They could use a bit less Soldiering in their starting racial ability. Meaning:
Soldiering 10, down from 30.
HP 20, up from 10.