Hello everyone. I tried to install the latest version of WindowBlinds on both of my computers at different times with problems both times. The first time I installed the update I was using BitDefender 2012 Internet Security. I am now using BitDefender 2014 Internet Security. Both versions of BitDefender had the same issues with WB 8.2
On my Dell 8300 desktop, 64 bit system, BitDefender found a problem with C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\WindowBlinds\tray64.dll and would not allow the program to install at all. Finally, I completely removed BitDefender 2012 and installed WB 8.2. Then I installed BitDefender Internet Security 2014. I still had a mess. After many hours of frustration, I reinstalled WB 8.1 and saved both tray.dll and tray64.dl in a separate folder. I then removed the "new" tray files and copied both of the previous versions from WB 8.1 to my Dell desktop in the appropriate directly. Then I did a reboot and was able to fix my Internet Explorer home page problem and BitDefender 2014 found no problem at all with those files.
Today I tried to install WB 8.2 on my laptop and had the same problem I had with the desktop installation. BitDefender 2014 found a problem with C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\WindowBlinds\tray.dll but did allow the install. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a screen shot of the supposed Trojan found by BitDefender so I cannot send that to you. Today Bit Defender found a Trojan but said it had disinfected the file. That was not so as my Internet Home page immediately went to Blank again and I was unable to restore my home page. After a couple of hours of frustration, I finally remembered that I had saved the tray files on my desktop computer. I then manually replaced tray.dll with the one from the earlier update and WB 8.2 is working just fine.
I should mention that I contacted Stardock support when this first happened on my desktop and I know they sent a message to BitDefender asking why the tray files are on their bad list. Now, however, I am convinced that there really is a problem with the tray files due to the blank page issue with both Internet Explorer 9 and 10. I have used BitDefender for a few years and other than this issue with WB 8.2, I have never had a single problem. I've used just about everything out there over the years and BitDefender is the best by far. It runs unobtrusively in the background and does not slow my systems down.
At this point, both computers are running WB 8.2 with no problem using the WB 8.1 tray files (June 2013 version). Something is definitely wrong with the tray files provided with WB 8.2. It is probably something very minor but it sure has caused me problems. I hope this information helps and the issue gets resolved before the next update. Stardock is welcome to contact me at the email address I use to log onto Stardock and I will be happy to assist further if needed.
Have a great day, everyone,