Here is my newest design for the new age to come!
Any EVGA product you buy - be sure it is either ar or a1 at the end of the product number and it will be warranteed for life!
1. EVGA X58 SLI Classified motherboard - $449.99 [link] buy direct not from new egg!
2. SILVERSTONE ZM1200M powersupply - $399.99 [link] this power supply will come very close to just doing it...
3. Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem CPU - $288.99 [link] best for the price at this time.
4. COOLER MASTER V10 Hybrid CPU Cooler - $139.99 [link] other than water cooling this will work well.
5. 3x - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card - $199.99 ea. [link] 3 of these to get the max performance.
6. EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT - $129.99 [link] PhysicalX Graphics Card needed for peak performance.
7. 2x - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) - 112.00 [link] for 12 GBs of Ram get 2 sets.
8a. Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA Internal Solid state disk - $393.00 [link] OS system drive.
8b. Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB Hard Drive - $229.00 [link] Gaming Drive & Programs...
I would use a eSata external drive for my backups and such. Which would only be connected at the time of it's use. Otherwise it is stored for better lifetime.
This being a moderate rig for the new age. I am still very picky about what case I would use!
9a. RAIDMAX SMILODON Case - $139.99 [link] this is good but cramped for space and cooling.
9b. COOLER MASTER HAF case - $159.99 [link] this has the space and the cooling... plus you can add water cooling later on.
As for DVD or CD and other Peripherals it will be good to start out with high end equipment. But this changes so fast I wait for things and buy just basic stuff I need.
My base price for this rig built by myself and ready to go with coolmaster case of course and basic Peripherals is $5000.00
otherwise with shipping and you build youself it would be close to $3500 to $4000 and you do your own warranty for installations.
Most have a lifetime warranty; others are like 3 years or better. NO OEM Manufacture will give you this for any kind of rig they build. Maybe 3 yrs - but it will cost you.
My best design for this new board has yet to come to light for the newest intel I7 chips are still being worked out. The true 8 core chip has yet to hit. Plus 64 bit Windows 7 is in the works of being released. I'm presently waiting for both of these to be complete before I go off the deep end and build the newest super computer I want here at home. But time will tell and I really can't wait for that day when I can place the order and get what I want.
Good luck with you new system and here is a pic of a HaF Case I did for my son here just a month ago for him to play his video games on and just have a better machine than he had before.
That and built another with a Sigma La Vie Case for my Daughter with basically almost the same. Except she is an ole timer and does not like vista so we used XP x64 and only 4 gigs of ram.
Here are a few photos
Sigma case 1
Sigma case 2
Sigma case 3
Haf Case 1
Haf Case 2
Haf Case 3
Also I would only recommend a 24 inch monitor or larger with this type of system!!!