As someone who happens to drive an M1A2, I must agree with this statement. An M16 bullet in the right location can cripple an F16. (Of course, we're talking about the one in a million lucky hit, but pretty much any hit will do at least surface damage.) There is no place on an M1A2 where you can do any kind of damage whatsoever with an M16.
What about inside?
If an enemy is shooting an M16 on the inside of either an F16 or M1A2, then you've got a problem.
As for these :
1) Starbases need more range
2) Starbases should move
3) Starbases should have built-in flak
4) Starbases should have more squads
5) Vas starbases should be able to be deconstructed and reconstructed OR Vas should get a torpedo cruiser.
6) Players need a reason to fight starbases. They need to provide some sort of heavy obstacle for enemies.
1) Starbases definitely need more range. The TEC and Advent starbases are just really strong turrets right now.
2) Starbases should not move. I'm going to allow the Vasari one to scoot around because one of them doing that is kinda cool. However, the whole concept of a starbase is that it's a freakin' stationary base of defensive operations. STATIONARY FREAKIN' BASE.
3) Starbases do need some kind of built-in anti-fighter equipment, otherwise carriers become cheap "torpedo cruisers". I like the idea of tying the number of flak cannons with the number of defensive upgrades, but maybe only one or two per upgrade.
4) Starbases definitely need more squadrons. Two to start off with, four for Advent and adding three squadrons per upgrade sounds about right. Gives you a stronger fighter presence without being game-breaking.
5) Starbases do not leave their gravity well. STARBASES DO NOT LEAVE THEIR GRAVITY WELL. I think this is the single most nonsensical idea I have heard so far. There aren't freakin' Death Stars, they're starbases. Defensive Starbases. But a Vasari torpedo cruiser (or torpedo mode for their mine cruiser) would even the playing field.
6) Starbases should absolutely have a compelling reason for the enemy to attack them. Long-range harassment missiles, planet-protecting powers, or my favorite ... the tractor beam ... are all good things that would influence an invader to engage the starbase.