The anti-fan club

An army of detractors

By on December 16, 2004 1:55:10 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

I get flamed. A lot.  In fact, as time goes on, I find I get flamed even in places I'm not.

For example, tonight I came across a link to an interview with Arlo Rose, the author of Konfabulator. While reading the comments, someone wrote a a response challenging why Konfabulator should get so much attention.  And the owners of the site claimed that the anonymous user was me. Apparently I am all knowing and all powerful and exist on every obscure website on the net.

Besides the usual annoyance of being falsely accused of doing something I consider pretty repugnant (those who know me know how I feel about anonymous detractors so being accused of doing that sort of thing is a double whammy). It really demonstrates that, at least in the customization community, that there are enough people that dislike me and what I do that they'll start believing I'm responsible for all the bad things out there.

In the OS/2 world, I still get brought up on occasion as a boogey man. Even this month on the Usenet group comp.os.os2.advocacy there were people blaming me (or Stardock) for destroying OS/2 (ah the power of google to find this stuff).  Apparently I am quite powerful.

In a single day I've seen myself blamed for buggy code in a Windows game, an OS/2 process killing utility, and a Widows desktop enhancement program while at the same time helping spread "FUD" about Linux and undermining the Mac market with our software that lets Windows users make Windows look like whatever they want. 

But the thing is, I'm just one guy. And while I try to keep track of a lot of things, I only know what's going on in a few selected places. Heck, I don't even know what's happening in the forums on JoeUser.com most of the time and that's supposedly my blog site.  That's why I get so incredulous when I get accused of having some influence or action in some obscure place like some website I rarely visit or some operating system I haven't used in 5 years or whatever.

Being falsely accused of something really bugs me. And and false accusations such as the one described here happen pretty regularly. It's almost like they want to pretend that they are worth more attention than they deserve.  But anyone who knows me at all knows that I don't shy away from criticizing things as myself. I take my lumps. Hence why I have so many detractors in the first place. <g>

Over the course of this year, I'll probably be decreasing my visibility markedly.  For one thing, I'm just tired of getting flamed. My thick skin is pretty ragged from constant flaming. We recently hired a net community liason who will slowly be interacting more with the whole desktop enhancement community. I'll probably eventually only frequent sites I have admin access of some kind which can put a quick end to those who want to impugn me.

40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 16, 2004 1:20:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If only there was a way to send an electrical shock through the Internet at some of these guys.
December 16, 2004 1:38:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LOL.  Indeed I think it makes more sense to be LESS omnipresent.

I just saw a super nasty anti-DX comment http://www.joeuser.com/articlecomments.asp?AID=58222&s=1 (first response).  Somehow I don't think anyone here is going to assume it's the author of a competing program.

So yea, I think as time goes on it makes more sense to stick to a very select set of websites.

December 16, 2004 1:47:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
It's a complete shame, is what it is. I've always
thought it very cool to have Brad's prescence here --
it imparts a sense of connected-ness to the software
and the community that uses it, and it puts a face on
the company. These are both things that I've admired
about being here, and it's a blow when some people have
to help ruin it for everybody.
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 16, 2004 2:19:50 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I bow before you, Oh Omnipotent Brad. For you have the power to be everywhere, know all, and ruin all.

December 16, 2004 2:20:59 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
We should form the Draginol Fan Club to preach your good deeds and keep the flamers at bay
Or on second thought, fading into obscurity might be a wiser course of action...
December 16, 2004 2:58:35 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I won't be leaving WC/JU.  Just going to cut down on the # of external sites I visit drastically over the coming months.
December 16, 2004 3:08:59 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
My thick skin is pretty ragged from constant flaming.

You know, lotion will help that...

-- B
December 16, 2004 3:21:21 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I bow before you, Oh Omnipotent Brad. For you have the power to be everywhere, know all, and ruin all.

Oh god that's so funny.

brad, looks like you're a suuperstar in skinnable/os2/joeuser corner of internet. hope your plan works.
December 16, 2004 8:25:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I just bumped my toe and I blame it all on you! It's all your fault!!
December 16, 2004 8:27:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
i have seen many comments concerning brad and/or stardock left by the less informed on other sites. two things amaze me about such comments:#1, how can anyone who supposedly uses english as his primary language have such poor grammar and spelling capabilities? (yes, i know i don't capitalize) and #2, why is that the anti-brad and anti-stardock crowd seem to think they have to be everywhere and leave the flaming messeges when people who actually use the stardock apps don't feel the need to flame style-xp, avedesk, konfabulator, and other such competitors? i'm guessing most of the flamers are teenagers who feel they need to hack their systems and complain when things aren't running quite right. eventually, they'll grow up and realize their ways are wrong. as for you brad, i have your phone number. don't be thinking you can run away and hide, buddy.
December 16, 2004 8:38:32 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
He knows what OS you're using
He knows how to make it break
He knows when you think ill of him
So think nice, for you own sake

Brad Wardell is coming to town

and undermining the Mac market with our software

I knew it was you all along. My contempt for Steve Jobs was a ruse to gain your trust.
December 16, 2004 9:18:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Brad, I like the fact that you are directly involved in the community. In my eyes you and Stardock care about what is going on.
No matter what, you can't win because of the position you hold. Most people are envious of you and the others are going to complain about everything in the world.
Decreasing your visibilty sounds like a good idea but please stay involved in this community where most people back you up. My work puts me in a similiar situation but just not on as grand of a scale as you. There will always be people that don't like you because you have done better for yourself and your family than they have.
December 16, 2004 9:32:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Ever since I became somewhat involved in the whole OS customization scene I never understood the bitter venom spewed toward Stardock, their products, and you in particular Brad. It never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people can be. I think stepping back some is probably a good idea. But it is good to know you will still be seen around these here hallowed halls. It really gives the impression you are in this because you love it, not just to make a buck or two.

We got your back man.
December 16, 2004 9:59:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I agree. I find it hillarious when I go to a forum where people are complaining about something like windowblinds, but in the next forum they wonder why their computer doesn't work after hacking their system files.
December 16, 2004 11:30:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well I think you're a nice person.

December 16, 2004 12:32:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Brad, its called "Success".. When someone becomes successful, they attract degenerates that are jealous over that success. When you have more than someone else, and they want what you have, the simple man can think of only one recourse, and that is to "Attack". Thats what you are dealing with, internet simpletons, when you deal with these hatemongers.

The best thing you can do is consider it a compliment, they want what you have, and probably never will get it. Go to bed at night, feeling good, because you got it, and they don't!

Imagine how badly Bill Gates gets flamed? Imagine what percentage of that flame stems from people angry that he has more than they do? I'd say 99%..
December 16, 2004 7:23:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Well Brad, anyone who's responsible for a "Widows desktop enhancement program" probably deserves a little abuse! How do you enhance a widow, anyhow?
December 16, 2004 7:23:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
curtains?
December 16, 2004 7:31:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
How do you enhance a widow, anyhow?

(don't say it...don't say it...don't say it)
December 16, 2004 8:35:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I don't know how long I can hold it in Gene. I just don't.
December 16, 2004 9:33:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
As a self employed businessman, I truly felt your pain reading your "Anti Fanclub" blog/letter.

First, I gotta tell you, from one business owner to another, you have to look at this all as THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS BAD PUBLICITY. The fact people are talking about you, Stardock and all the things you do throughout the computer world, is nothing less than a major feather in your cap.

As a person who literally spends 18-20 hours daily on either my Desktop or my Laptop, I can honestly say that your Skins, Widgets,Bars and everything else have truly made those hours easier to deal with. I have my computer totally "Stardocked" to my taste and work habits, running Sysmetrix, Desktop-X, Windowblinds and Object Bar.

Of course it took me a while to set up everything perfectly, trying to choose what I wanted from your MINDBLOWING SELECTION of everything.

However, I found it to be a labor of love and quite therapeutic, testing different skins & themes and picking what caught my eye.

If you had maintained a lower profile up to this point, who knows if you would even be thier topic of conversation today?

The only this I can say as a high volume computer user is "KEEP UP THE INTENSE WORK" and WHATEVER YOU'VE DONE UP TO THIS POINT...... KEEP DOING IT.
Don't fix what's not broken. Just take all of these comments and stories you have been finding from whom they came and for what they're really worth. i know your answers will be No one, and nothing.

In addition, if anyone not using Stardock reads these comments, they are sure to check out the site to see what the brew ha ha is about. When they get there, they too will fall in love with everything to have to offer just like I have.

Jealousy is a tough thing for people to deal with and it's quite apparent you are a victim of just that, from hotheaded "trying-to-be businessmen" that simply don't know what else to do, or who else to go after. These are the same people who hide behind the corporate vails' of their employers, safe & sound, and as far away from the private sector as a school teacher.

DON'T HIDE, DON'T CHANGE....... JUST KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK.

Ron Stahl
A Customer and a Fan
December 16, 2004 10:20:42 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
I had a bad hair day and I think it's all your fault!
December 16, 2004 10:35:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Over here in Oz we call it "the tall poppy syndrome" ...when someone (such as yourself) becomes successful and well-known ...out come the bashers and flamers, trying any means possible to tarnish the persons good nature or character, in a vain attempt to sully a person's reputation.

So, yeah, perhaps a lower profile for a while might help your situation, but keep in mind that that's exactly what they want you to do.

I see your point though, if enough mud is thrown ..eventually some of it starts to stick.
December 17, 2004 1:52:43 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
Fortunately Brad doesn't wear suits all that often so it's easy to clean off.
December 17, 2004 2:22:59 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

He knows what OS you're using
He knows how to make it break
He knows when you think ill of him
So think nice, for you own sake

How do you enhance a widow, anyhow?

what irony.  after finding both of the above in this thread about incorrectly attributed comments, all i could think was...if he'd only done it anonymously, i coulda maybe convinced someone they were mine    way too  funny stuff, gene.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.