Just Bought Fences 2.13 - Does NOT Work - Win 7 64-bit

By on December 22, 2015 9:47:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bbacle

Join Date 05/2005

Just bought Fences 2.13 and it won't work on Windows 7 64-bit.
In fact when I installed it, it messed up my icons on my desktop and I cannot move any of them anywhere.
When I uninstall Fences, the icons can be moved again.

Any solutions?
This problem has been going on for quite a few years, and still no solution is offered by Stardock.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 24, 2015 7:47:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you using 360 security on your PC?

December 24, 2015 8:59:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, but the problem occurred even before I installed 360 Security when I had AVG.

December 24, 2015 9:29:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is something specific to your machine. Prior to installing Win 10 on a 'few' I had 6 machines running Win 7 - all versions and both 32 and 64 bit - not counting VMs.  All had Fences...all worked.  One system was on Kaspersky....the others were on Comodo. None had issues.

A common issue with failed program installs [any kind] and/or bugs is the system's AV.  Some are famous for being too intrusive/obstructionist.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 24, 2015 9:46:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What Jafo said.  I use Kaspersky here and I rarely have an issue but it can slow down an installation so I disable it as a precaution.  So far, I have never had the issues I've had with other AV/security programs. 

December 24, 2015 8:25:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I took of all my AV programs, but still wouldn't work.

I also have a laptop which has the same problems.

And I have another installation of Windows 7 and it doesn't work with it either.

And there are numerous other people that have had problems with Fences not working on Win7 64-bit.

So I think it is a problem with the program, not necessarily my machine when so many others have experienced the same problems for the past 2-3 years.

December 27, 2015 10:37:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It could be that your A/V had quarantined something, causing the problem. Item would still be quarantined after uninstall/disable.

I'd suggest reinstalling Fences with the A/V disabled, and then adding back your A/V.

December 28, 2015 4:05:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I recently updated to Fences 2.90 on Win 7 64bit and had issues also, turns out it was affected by the .NET Framework. I uninstalled 4.5, restarted, uninstalled 4 & client profile, restarted, used .NET Cleanup Tool for those versions to make sure remaining entries weren't left over, restarted and fences started working again.

December 28, 2015 4:25:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When downloading and installing software directly from any company's https site, your antiviral should be turned off.

Your problem is likely due to quarantining or isolating parts of the software by your AV.

1. Turn off your AV.

2. Re-download and install with your AV off.

3. Contact your AV software company and let them know Fences is ok...something they should have known 5 years ago.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.