Fences 2.13 is "NOT" compatible with Windows 10 [corrected]

By on November 20, 2015 1:14:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bwjoyner1

Join Date 03/2014

I have been using Stardock Fences since the day it was originally released. This business of having to buy Object Dock to get an update is crap. I have virtually all of them including Object Dock. I hate the Object Dock product. So to have to install a product I don't even like, then update it, then try Stardock Fences 3.0 (2.90) is not worth all the trouble.

Stardock Start 10 is another product that does absolutely nothing to enhance the use of Windows 10 in any useful way as it did back in the days of Windows 7.

I use Deskscapes because its cool.

But all the rest of your stuff is headed to the trash can. 

Disgruntled Software Developer!

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 20, 2015 7:03:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just to clear things up ObjectDock is another product which has nothing to do with Fences.  The subscription is ObjectDesktop.  Likewise Start10/8 never ran on Windows 7.

Fences 2.13 IS compatible with Windows 10.  If you are having problems please contact support@stardock.com so they can assist you.

The reason Fences 3 is exclusive to ObjectDesktop is it is a beta of a new product.  I doubt Fences 3 will be a free update to Fences 2 users (though I am not sure as I am not involved in that) but the early betas are always exclusive to ObjectDesktop. 

November 20, 2015 7:46:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You don't need Object Dock or any otherSD product to upgrade Fences.  You can buy the latest Fences alone:

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/download.asp

November 21, 2015 7:33:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gevansmd,

You don't need Object Dock or any otherSD product to upgrade Fences.  You can buy the latest Fences alone:

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/download.asp

You can only buy Fences 2 and not the Fences 3 beta.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 21, 2015 4:44:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Desktop Fences 2.13 IS only causing problems when combined with Windows 10. I have tried and gave up because of random icons disappearing and desktops being unusable.

I also don't understand why we don't have v3.0 available. Windows 10 is 4 months old and an update has already been released and there's no valid version of Fences.

The fact that Stardock won't offer a free update to 3.0 is a shame and I will pass on this product if it's the case.

November 21, 2015 5:55:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Start 10 is another product that does absolutely nothing to enhance the use of Windows 10 in any useful way as it did back in the days of Windows 7.

Why would you use Start 10, Start 8 on windows 7 at all?. The application reinstates the traditional start menu which Windows 7 already had. So using Start * software was pointless on 7. Also Fences 2x and 3x runs flawlessly on Windows 10. I would suggest the problem may be with your system (some other application reacting with it?) . Good luck

November 21, 2015 6:39:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cgirardy,

The fact that Stardock won't offer a free update to 3.0 is a shame and I will pass on this product if it's the case.

Solution......become an ODNT subscriber or buy the software. Either one gets you free upgrades for one year. Not everything can be a freebie.

This is wrong. Only subscribers get the free full year. My mistake.

November 21, 2015 7:18:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was looking to buy Fences but with Fences 3 being in beta I would rather wait till it comes out then and purchase it rather than pay for an upgrade when it comes out..

The Sales team at stardock said

There is a 30 day window for upgrades

They did not tell me you get free upgrades for a year

November 21, 2015 7:50:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ijchase,

The 30 day upgrade is if you purchase a stand along product such as fences or any other product. 

The one year upgrade is if you purchase a Object desk top sub. This includes all products withing this sub. WindowBlinds, fences and many other products. If all you ever want to use is Fences you may want to wait till the final release of Fences

November 21, 2015 7:52:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,

Quoting ijchase,

The 30 day upgrade is if you purchase a stand along product such as fences or any other product. 

The one year upgrade is if you purchase a Object desk top sub. This includes all products withing this sub. WindowBlinds, fences and many other products. If all you ever want to use is Fences you may want to wait till the final release of Fences.

If you did purchase ODT now you could get the fences beta and any upgrades for a year.

November 21, 2015 8:30:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, with stand alone software, you get free upgrades/updates up to the next version number.  If you purchase Fences 3 when it is released, you should be good until Fences 4 comes out.

November 22, 2015 1:10:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Im also having some minor issues with Fences 2.13 and Windows 10. Unfortunately my subscription to Object Desktop has run out. I've bought it once and renewed it twice, and while i appreciate all the work Stardock put into their software i found out that i had a lot of issues with windows blinds and icon packager which were usually related to incompatibility with Firefox or Windows updates breaking something. It was just not worth the hassle and unfortunately fixes did not come in timely fashion either.

That said Fences is still incredibly useful and would gladly buy another version even in beta state if it performs better under Windows 10. Right now there's an occasional hang, files sometime become unresponsive or cannot be renamed by clicking once on their name and they keep re-arranging themselves briefly when you drag and drop something (doesn't always happen). Nothing of this sort happens if i disable Fences though.

Im also pretty sure that Fences 3 has been in beta for month's. What's the hold up?

January 15, 2016 10:13:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have been using Fences from the start and find it extremely useful. I have not experienced any problems at all using Fences 2.13 with Windows 10. I have just learned that Fences 3.0 is in beta and therefore am looking forward to the full release of version 3.0; hopefully it will be coming soon.

I think it is reasonable for Stardock to charge for a full version upgrade. I believe that there are many existing users who are looking forward to a new release and would be happy to pay the upgrade price.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0004344   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.