Please tell us something about WindowBlinds 10

By on November 19, 2015 5:15:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bodabar

Join Date 10/2004

It seems Stardock are very bad at communicating. We're four months on from the release of Windows 10 and we don't know when WindowBlinds 10 will be coming. There's no ETA. Will it be this year? We don't even know if it is weeks, months or years away. We've no idea if any work is being done on it - I am sure it is though.

What would be nice is a little explanation of the problems and an update on progress.

We all knew Windows 10 would mean a large proportion of Windows users would upgrade. We all knew there was a limited, ahem, window for users to upgrade for free. We're almost halfway through that now and there's no sign of WindowBlinds 10.

For those of us who had WindowBlinds installed on Windows 8, we saw the skinning of the main windows worked fine - it was just the taskbar giving trouble. Now I don't for a moment think that means that that was all there was to do, but it's not like you had to start from scratch, does it?

The forums don't give any information other than it'll be coming at some point. Most of the replies given to people wondering are to blame them for upgrading to Windows 10 and to suggest that things like the TH2 November patch may change things (even though those replying have no idea if it did or not).

So, please, give us some indication of what's going on.

97 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2015 5:59:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Most of us here share your frustration but you have to understand the complexity of developing an app for an Operating System as different as Win 10. The TH2 November upgrade, not a patch, saw changes made to the GUI and that has to be taken into consideration. Would you want a WB10 that works some of the time or a WB10 that just works as it should. I'm sure that when a Beta is available we'll be the first to know. Until then...patience.

November 19, 2015 6:24:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I understand the complexities of developing a program for an operating system like Windows 10. I am well aware that there are difficulties in hooking into the UI system in ways that don't impact system performance or cause errors. I've been using WindowBlinds since it was Window Blinds. I remember past releases that didn't work properly.

What I'm asking for is some kind of progress update; some kind of communication. You'll have noticed many posts on the forum asking about Windowblinds and Windows 10. There isn't much detail in the replies. It would be easier to be patient if there was some communication beyond "coming soon". My Object Desktop subscription runs out in May. I wonder if WindowBlinds 10 will happen before then.

November 19, 2015 9:10:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wish I had an answer for you bodabar.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 19, 2015 9:39:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Me too. But hopefully this post might prompt someone from Stardock to respond.

Given the sheer number of posts about Windows 10, it seems a bit odd that Stardock haven't chosen to be a bit more communicative about this. I'm quite sure they're working on this and I'm certain that Windowblinds 10 will be along at some point. But I can't help but feel that a few posts indicating progress would do much to head of a lot of the confusion and frustration that people are feeling.

No doubt when WindowBlinds 10 comes along, a lot of WindowBlinds 8 customers are going to feel a bit frustrated that the product they've paid for won't ever be compatible with Windows 10 (I'm presuming). A bit of up-front communication would forestall a lot of this.

Fingers crossed though.

November 19, 2015 10:56:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There's not much to communicate at this time. Windows 10 has proved to be a bit more complicated and WindowBlinds 10 is in development and testing.

I can't give a date or estimate as these have been changing, and I don't want to give an estimate and not be able to meet that. 

November 19, 2015 11:26:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's okay. No one wants you to commit to a date if you're not sure you can make it or not. That's why no one's asking for a date. Some indication of whether it's weeks, months or years away would be nice, but I can well understand if that's not possible.

But hearing that Windows 10 has proved a bit more complicated is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear (and I'm sure others were too). Everything prior to now has been a sort of vague "we're working on it" with no more detail than that.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, my Windows 8 installation of WindowBlinds worked surprisingly well for something the forums told me wouldn't work at all. Even the taskbar problem didn't seem that bad. So it looked to me (an uninformed outsider) as though a couple of tweaks would be all that was needed. This obviously isn't the case and the problems with Windows 10 are more fundamental.

So I thank you for giving us some information about the progress of WindowBlinds 10. There are a lot of people asking and information has been very sparse. Even some of the information given hasn't exactly been useful - for instance, IconPackager is said to not work with Windows 10, but it works perfectly for me (the problem is said to come when one uninstalls IconPackager, but that's not on the compatibility page).

Thanks again for the information. At least we now have some idea of what's happening.

November 19, 2015 12:14:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great OS.  Love the Start Menu Tiles.

November 19, 2015 4:54:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WB10 is coming along nicely.  I hope we can share it with you soon.

November 19, 2015 5:53:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good to read, Neil! 

Glad to know this, because, as good as the other programs are, I'd probably de-stardock my machines and let my subs (yes, two ODNT subs) lapse, with no WindowBlinds.

I'm a DX guy, but it's gone....WindowBlinds is the only thing keeping me interested in ODNT.

November 19, 2015 6:32:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have never commented on Windowblinds 10, I have no problem waiting for it. For all us patient folk we should be rewarded with an early bata to test while the complainers and whiners would have to wait for the final release.

Before the stones are thrown I am not being serious.

November 19, 2015 6:43:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

with an early bata

Yes...I agree....an early bata will show them young'uns.

November 19, 2015 7:08:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can't wait for the beta so you folks can tell me if it works or not.

Actually I don't have win 10. Just want to know what I need to add so you all have a good skin to enjoy.

NEIL. How about this answer. When ever WB10 is released even in beta will SKS be updated?? Very important to know that for the skinners. Thanks.

November 20, 2015 5:11:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, they have been pretty lackluster with communication. I remember a post from a dev that there would be info 'soon' which never happened.

A general update would be nice and we got it this time so, yay!

I really cant wait for it though. I really need my 3d UI elements and, more importantly, a UI that is consistent and doesn't have gaps.

The Win10 UI has small gaps between windows when I align them perfectly side by side or the corners. So frustrating. The extremely whiteness of the Win10 UI is also really bad for my eyes.

Oh well, I just need to hold on for a few more short months.

November 20, 2015 8:34:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I remember a post from a dev that there would be info 'soon' which never happened.

Or should that be hypersoon?

Seriously folks, if you have a headache waiting for WB10 to arrive imagine how the developers feel. Let's just leave them alone to do what they do best and enjoy WB10 when it's done

November 20, 2015 9:35:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Seriously folks, if you have a headache waiting for WB10 to arrive imagine how the developers feel.

Seriously Fuzzy Logic? I don’t care how they feel, they get paid for it and it’s called work, if they want my recurrent payment, they have to come along with "some" Information when WB 10 can be counted with, if it’s a matter of Weeks or Months, nobody wants an exact date but my License expires in 70 days and if, to this Point, there is no WB 10 in sight, then I will not extend my License, as simple is that.

November 20, 2015 12:14:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is your perogative. You're giving them two months and ten days to bring WB10 to the fore. Very not nice! 

November 20, 2015 12:34:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock should realize they are losing a lot of sales on windowblinds, since a lot of us are using windows10, therefore not making any purchases of that product.  maybe they just don't care. enuff said.

November 20, 2015 12:44:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting rustysam,

Stardock should realize they are losing a lot of sales on windowblinds, since a lot of us are using windows10, therefore not making any purchases of that product.  maybe they just don't care. enuff said.

They care and they are not losing sales. The sales are just on hold until they are able to bring a polished product to the table. Most of us are able to wait for that to happen.

November 20, 2015 1:32:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting rustysam,

We want to get WindowBlinds 10 out to people as quickly as possible, there is no logical reason for us not to. However, development and testing takes time to ensure we release a stable and functional product.

November 20, 2015 3:38:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@reply17...I would say something but I'll only get into trouble so......no comment.

Kudos to SD for keeping it real. 

November 21, 2015 4:12:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Calm it down. I started this thread to ask for information about the progress of WindowBlinds 10, not to hear general paeans about how development takes time (really?) and how Stardock want to release a functional product (goodness, what a new idea) nor to hear people threaten to cancel their subscription (so what?) or to bang on about how Stardock is losing sales (how would you know?).

If you have some information about the development of WindowBlinds 10 that you are able to tell us, then please do. If you don't (even if you're Stardock staff), then perhaps stop and think why you're chipping in even though you have nothing helpful to say. There are plenty other threads on the forum where you can post your thoughts.

The development of WindowBlinds 10 has not been marked by clear communications - that's why there's so many forum threads moaning about Windows 10. If you have something of use to add, please do. If you don't, then why are you posting?

November 21, 2015 6:50:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I myself wonder if the beta access will be available to all willing to participate or to subscribers of the OD only, cause if latter it would be a bummer as I am willing to test, as I positively HATE the current Windows 10 flat UI (I need my AERO!!! ). I am willing to test cause WindowBlinds 8 did not work correctly on my Russian Windows 8 system (didn't render context menu correctly on the preview windows in taskbar) but I was lazy to report it and just de-installed it cause it was my GF's PC while I was using Windows 7 Now that we both have Windows 10 installed, I am willing to test and report all misbehaviour

November 21, 2015 7:23:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@reply21......thank you.

@reply22......only those with an active subscription to ODNT will have access to the beta when it becomes available. Sorry.

November 21, 2015 9:00:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would not be surprised if the Stardock developers have had a tough time building Windowblinds 10. Microsoft have pumped through so many changes and updates to Windows 10 since release I bet the alpha or beta build is ever changing. Look forward to seeing it when its ready.  

November 22, 2015 6:11:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Uvah, that is a bummer, but I will just patiently wait then for the final release

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.