Get windows 10 icon

how to get rid of it

By on October 20, 2015 10:56:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

S J N

Join Date 10/2001
+18

I thought I had the windows update hidden which puts the "Get Windows 10" icon in the system tray.

I just noticed, it's back. If one of you good people would point me in the right direction to rid my laptop of this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2015 11:05:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NOTE: THIS LINK PROVIDES MORE INFORMATION FOR WINDOWS 8   http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

In Windows 7:

1. CONTROL PANEL - PROGRAMS AND FEATURES - on the side, click VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES

2. In the list that appears for the list of installed WINDOWS UPDATES, scroll down and locate the following updates in WINDOWS 7

KB2952664 
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB3035583   

VERIFY EACH KB NUMBER BEFORE CONTINUING

3. UNINSTALL EACH UPDATE YOU FIND  - NOTE: When asked to reboot select LATER and continue until all those are uninstalled and remove them in the ORDER shown above

THEN REBOOT

Go back and check to see if those updates are all gone in the system..   if they are then check and see if you can still connect to Windows Update...    IF BOTH ARE TRUE SKIP TO #6 BELOW AND HIDE THE UPDATES AT WU.      You are done

If KB2952664 has come back or appears again, OR you cant connect to Windows Update and get a ERROR continue with #4 below after uninstalling KB2952664 again

Here is the kicker..  if you UNINSTALL KB2952664  many systems cant connect to Windows update anymore!   Really MS?  Punishment or dimwit strong-arm tactics?

4. Run this MS FIX IT tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/windows-update-error-8000ffff [ignore the reference to Vista]

Run with the check box aggressive mode unchecked, let it finish, close and then rerun the tool again with the check in AGGRESSIVE

5. Once finished, reboot

The above repairs Windows update from not being able to run but BE AWARE it will CLEAN/FLUSH the Windows update 'history' list but wont remove the update list

6. Once rebooted run Windows Update in MANUAL MODE   do not let MS download and install updates automatically..   the updates I noted above should reappear in the list including KB2952664 right click them all and select HIDE

KB2952664 
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB3035583

you will no longer be prompted to install those hidden nonsense updates unless MS decides to try and slip them back in again and Windows Update will work fine

For Windows 8 the process is similar.. you can review the link above to remove this garbage

EDIT: If the above FIXIT tool fails and you still can not connect to WU, Try this tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821/

Download the correct version x32 or x64 and let it repair WU. It will request you install a KB and then it will run a aggressive scan to fix issues.

It can take 10 minutes and up to 3 hours to run sometimes so if it appears to hang at like 85%, its still running..  reboot when it finished and recheck WU and don't worry about the MSfixit tools

October 20, 2015 11:47:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had gotten rid of the tray icon long ago, but got tired of seeing Adware for Win10 every time I opened WU which must have been snuck in there when I wasn't looking.  I noted that WU had even been switched to Auto updates against my wishes, I NEVER auto update!.

Thanks for the detailed steps, Paul. My WU is back to normal now.

October 21, 2015 12:23:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks. Going to do this now. Be back in a few.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 21, 2015 12:31:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Did this on all my 8.1 rigs a few weeks ago. Got the ghacks page bookmarked.

October 21, 2015 1:32:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

2 of the updates were already hidden. Uninstalled the other 2. Rebooted and hid the other two.

No Icon, Yea! Thank you for your help. Copied your instructions and saved them for future.

October 21, 2015 1:39:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I performed all of the steps Jafo listed above to get rid of the icon and the updates, yet the 'Get Windows 10' icon reappeared.... 4 times [thus far].  There's even a registry edit that's supposed to prevent its reappearance, but it appears MS has found its way around that as well.

Quoting Jafo,

you will no longer be prompted to install those hidden nonsense updates unless MS decides to try and slip them back in again

Yes, I think that's exactly what MS is doing.  I've not seen any articles to suggest/confirm this [as yet], but I suspect Win 10 update thingies are being piggybacked with other patches/updates.... such is MS' desperation to have it on as many PCs as possible by Dec 2016

I normally work like buggery to resolve any errors on my PCs, but the one on my HP 2-in-1 where the Win 10 upgrade continually fails is one I intend to have remain on the machine.  There's a list of failed attempts in WU, supposedly because the Win 10 upgrade does not recognise my product key, but that's okay, I don't fechen want it.

Quoting Wizard1956,

I noted that WU had even been switched to Auto updates against my wishes,

Same here!  I specifically checked to see if my updates were still set to manual when I realised that the Win 10 updates were being installed regardless, and sure enough, they had been reset to auto update.  I've changed it back twice thus far, so it is wise to check regularly to ensure your preferred settings are still in place.

October 21, 2015 2:47:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Install Windows 10 and it disappears as if by magic!

October 21, 2015 3:13:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gef,

Install Windows 10 and it disappears as if by magic!

And who in their right mind is gonna do that.?

Given all the bad press and negative points regarding Win 10, not that I'm saying anything about anyone here, mind, me thinks that anyone who willingly installs Win 10 of their own free accord without bullying or stand-over tactics....  even the slightest persuasion, must have rocks in their heads, be incredibly naive or have been hanging with the ostriches too long.

Another way to get rid of it....  forever....permanently....,never to come back... finito, gone kaput.... switch to Ubuntu.

October 21, 2015 8:30:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

I performed all of the steps Jafo listed above to get rid of the icon and the updates, yet the 'Get Windows 10' icon reappeared.... 4 times [thus far].

You still got it wrong then.

This system is 10-free ...

October 21, 2015 9:04:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had one important update. That one was for flash player in IE 11. Even though I don't use IE I still keep it updated 'cause who knows. Anyway there were 9 optional updates, two I know of, one of them being kb3035583 and the other is the compatibility update to see if my machine can handle Win 10. Those are both hidden and they do not come back. The other optional updates I checked and mostly they're for stuff I neither use or am not hooked up to. Too bad they can't be deleted.

EDIT: I dunno......mine has never switched back to auto update. Weird

October 21, 2015 9:15:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

KB2952664   This one keeps coming back every time I check for updates, even though it is hidden, and I have Auto updates turned completely off. With the KB comes that moronic Adware for Windows 10.  I uninstall the update, it goes away until I check updates once again. Grrrrrr!!!

October 21, 2015 9:18:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are some different updates to uninstall and hide on Windows 8, try uninstalling any of these and then reboot and hide them.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

Worked for me! 

October 21, 2015 11:41:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers,
reply 6

I performed all of the steps Jafo listed above to get rid of the icon and the updates, yet the 'Get Windows 10' icon reappeared.... 4 times [thus far].

You still got it wrong then.

No, I followed it to the letter.  Furthermore, I am not the only one who keeps seeing the 'Get Windows 10" icon back in the systray after performing the same or similar methods of removal.  I even went to the length of doing a registry edit to revent its reappearance, yet it still returned.... 5 times now.  Like I said, I suspect MS is piggybacking it in with other updates  In any event, Microsoft is NOT behaving well here.

Quoting Wizard1956,

KB2952664   This one keeps coming back every time I check for updates, even though it is hidden, and I have Auto updates turned completely off. With the KB comes that moronic Adware for Windows 10.  I uninstall the update, it goes away until I check updates once again. Grrrrrr!!!

Same here!  Had to do a reboot before and the icon wasn't there at shutdown, but once the machine had restarted and everything loaded it was back... and in going to WU to check on the updates listed, I noted that the previously hidden KB2952664 was back.  Now being that hidden updates are not normally redownloaded or installed, I have to wonder if these Win 10 updates are somehow able to undelete themselves?  In any event, MS is behaving very badly.  I mean, medical staff are not allowed to force feed patients refusing food and drink, so why is MS being allowed to force feed Windows 10 to millions of unwilling users?

I was right when I said that Satya Nadella would be good for Microsoft as CEO.... and he has been.  Sadly for users, though, he's been an absolute **** and has betrayed them with a virtual clone of Apple's walled garden.  Windows as an OS died with Win 8.1... what exists now is a travesty.

October 21, 2015 1:00:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

And who in their right mind is gonna do that.?

Actually, quite a few people have done that.

Seriously, why does it matter so much if one small extra icon is in the systray.  leaving it there seems to be better than all the problems removing it seems to be causing everyone.

October 21, 2015 2:30:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gef,
Seriously, why does it matter so much if one small extra icon is in the systray.

1. Because *I* don't want it to.

2. Because with that icon comes 6.5 GB of stuff I do NOT want at this point (C:\$WINDOWS.~BT) and did not ask for sitting on my hard disk taking up space.

3. Because while that icon is in there (and sometimes even when it isn't) Microsoft will keep on trying to force feed me Windows 10 on Windows Update.

4. Because I don't appreciate being bullied into doing something I don't want to.

5. Because I no longer trust Microsoft to be an ethical company.

As a result of all this I can no longer trust Windows Update to simply do what it was designed to do, i.e.; keep my Windows 7 system up-to-date in terms of security and bug fixes.

*I* will decide when I want to upgrade to Windows 10 (if ever!), not Microsoft.

October 21, 2015 3:25:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have an exe called Disable GWX, if anyone wants it. 

To be used in conjunction with uninstalling the updates mentioned above. 

October 21, 2015 3:35:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gef,

Seriously, why does it matter so much if one small extra icon is in the systray.
Well, besides all the excellent reasons posted by Jorge, I can add:

I already have Windows 10.  It's called dual booting and I don't need MS trying to nag me to death to replace my Win7 install with something I already have.

Also, it's not just an Icon, which  I don't have, it's this stupid adware on Windows Update that is pissing me off.

October 21, 2015 4:36:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

No, I followed it to the letter. Furthermore, I am not the only one who keeps seeing the 'Get Windows 10" icon back in the systray after performing the same or similar methods of removal. I even went to the length of doing a registry edit to revent its reappearance, yet it still returned.... 5 times now. Like I said, I suspect MS is piggybacking it in with other updates In any event, Microsoft is NOT behaving well here.

That will be likely because you were on win8 ...you know...the OS you love so much...from the same company as 10 the OS you hate so much.

The removal instructions for the upgrade in 8 are different...and this thread is in the 'Windows 7' forum.

As I said...this machine still is win7 with no icon...and no Trojan download/torrent for MS.

If you do it right it stays done...

October 21, 2015 6:55:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Yup. I dood it on Winders 8.1  

October 23, 2015 6:05:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gef,

Jorge has pretty much answered this for me, but to put it simply, the longer it is there the more unwanted downloads I get.  Because Win 10 can not install on my HP 2-in 1, the "Get Windows 10' Icon keeps advising Windows Update to download it again... and again... and again....   With each failed installation another download is prompted.   Thus far 15,6 gb has been downloaded by the damned thing since July, so obviously I wan't it gone.

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers,

No, I followed it to the letter. Furthermore, I am not the only one who keeps seeing the 'Get Windows 10" icon back in the systray after performing the same or similar methods of removal. I even went to the length of doing a registry edit to revent its reappearance, yet it still returned.... 5 times now. Like I said, I suspect MS is piggybacking it in with other updates In any event, Microsoft is NOT behaving well here.

That will be likely because you were on win8 ...you know...the OS you love so much...from the same company as 10 the OS you hate so much.

The removal instructions for the upgrade in 8 are different...and this thread is in the 'Windows 7' forum.

As I said...this machine still is win7 with no icon...and no Trojan download/torrent for MS.

Jafo, I followed the same instructions that RND did from ghacks... to the letter for Win 8.1.  For a while the icon was gone, as were the hidden updates.  However, as Jorge and Wizard 1956 have also discovered, MS is being persistent in delivering the updates and the icon despite the measures taken by users.  And it's not just those of us here at WC.

It seems the problem exists right across the board, which prompted a software developer to create GWX Panel [see below], which not only deletes the icon, but also prevents future 'Win 10' updates from being redownloaded and/or unhidden.  It's still early days, but thus far, but neither the icon or the updates have returned since availing myself of GWX Panel.  Fingers crossed!

Oh yeah,, just cos something worked for you, and I'm glad it did, it don't mean to say somebody else got it wrong when it didn't work okay for them.... especially when it comes to computer shit.... cos we know how finnicky it can be at times.

\[quote who="RedneckDude" reply="16" id="3596 267"]
I have an exe called Disable GWX, if anyone wants it.
[/quote]

There's a proggie called GXX Panel that's available from Majorgeeks  The program is intended to disable 'Get Windows 10' notifications as well as prevent those unwanted updates in WU.  Should a user wish to upgrage to Win 10 later on the changes are reversible.

October 23, 2015 9:33:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I used that program from Majorgeeks, but it doesn't remove the Windows BT folder, which on MY system is 6Gb. Does anyone know if there's a way to remove this folder, and if it's safe to do so?

October 23, 2015 11:13:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Boxxi, you can safely delete it. I think I got rid of it with Disk Cleanup but not sure. I do know it's gone. I may have just deleted it.

October 23, 2015 9:02:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

I used that program from Majorgeeks, but it doesn't remove the Windows BT folder, which on MY system is 6Gb. Does anyone know if there's a way to remove this folder, and if it's safe to do so?

No, GWX Panel does not remove the upgrade folder, the reason being to allow users to upgrade at a later date if they so choose.  However, if you wish to delete it then that's fine.  I did so to free up disc space [120gb SSD] without ill-effect.

It is interesting to read the user guide, though.  The developer has indicated that MS has been quite aggressive in its approach for users to switch to Win 10, and that it will reissue the updates and the GWX app in an attempt to force users hands.  He even suggests that the icon and updates may have rules of their own, and thus able to override users own WU settings.

For mine, Microsoft's behaviour in this matter has been abominable... if not downright criminal.

October 24, 2015 8:20:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks guys.....

October 24, 2015 8:44:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

For mine, Microsoft's behaviour in this matter has been abominable...
I agree 100%

Quoting starkers,

There's a proggie called GXX Panel that's available from Majorgeeks
Thanks for the link, that seems to have done the trick. No more Adware, or recurring option to "Upgrade" to Windows10. (So far)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.