Object Desktop Subscription and Windows 10 Incompatability

By on October 3, 2015 10:22:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sabshire

Join Date 12/2001
+1

I opened a ticket but it has been ignored so far so let me try here. I recently purchased the upgrade to Object Desktop as I am a previous subscriber. Clicking on the "renew" button from my account page takes me directly to the checkout process which I completed successfully. I then download the utility that allows me to select and install applications that I have access to. Imagine my surprise when I find that only a few items are actually compatible with Windows 10. The main reason for my subscription being renewed is to get Window Blinds on my new rig that I recently purchased.

I now realize that the forums are full of warnings about the incompatibility of most of your applications with Windows 10. I also now realize that listed at the BOTTOM of your Window Blinds page in SMALL PRINT you display the incompatibility warning. But here is my issue with this. I purchased from my account page and went directly to the checkout process and at no time was I warned that most of the applications in the Object Desktop suite were not compatible with Windows 10. I was not given the opportunity to make an informed decision on my purchase and now I am stuck with nothing that I can use as my annual subscription slowly dwindles away. I should not be required to search through the forums before making a purchase.

So I am asking for one of two solutions:

1. Refund my purchase and restore my account to its original state, or
  2. Once the full Object Desktop suite is compatible with Windows 10 start my one-year subscription on that date

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.

26 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 3, 2015 10:48:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was not given the opportunity to make an informed decision on my purchase

Sure you were.

You really should have checked the current ObjectDesktop page to check compatibility. Or you could have checked the forums and found Island Dog's Pinned Post on what is and is not compatible with Windows 10. BEFORE resubscribing.

You really have no one to blame but yourself.

If purchasing an item from Newegg, do you not first read the reviews on the product?  I do.

The information is there, if you take the time to look.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/469524/page/1/

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

Scroll to bottom. NOT small print.

October 3, 2015 11:10:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I respect your opinion but humbly disagree. There was no need for me to do research into a product that I have already used before and merely want to continue using. Using your New Egg example, if I have purchased RAM from them and it worked as expected, my next time around I would not invest time into investigation because I have done that already on the previous purchase and trust the product. This time I just want to buy some more RAM. It is the same here with OD and WB ... why should I be expected to research into something that I have used before with success. Stardock should have placed the Windows 10 warning in the checkout process, on the shopping cart perhaps, to make sure the incompatibilities with Windows 10 could not be missed. 

October 3, 2015 11:49:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sabshire,

why should I be expected to research into something that I have used before with success

Easy. Because the Windows Operating System has changed, radically.

Just like buying RAM, to use your analogy.

Newer systems use DDR4. So, if you go to Newegg and buy what you have always used, it isn't going to work.

Newer systems use/need newer hardware/software.

Seriously, if you're really into customizing your system, it follows that you should follow the forums of the company you purchase your customization software from.

Or at the very least, read up on the software you're buying. Things change, that's life.

You really can't blame this on anyone but yourself.

Take me, for example. I have been with Stardock/WinCustomize products since October 2004. I am INTO customizing my computer. I follow the forums. I keep informed on what is what and which supports which.

My Object Desktop subscription is paid up until Dec. 2018. Stardock will make me happy. It may not happen instantly. Hell, I know it won't happen instantly. But it WILL happen as soon as they can get there.

Stardock has no control over Microsoft. They have to deal with what they've been dealt.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 3, 2015 11:51:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sabshire,

There was no need for me to do research into a product that I have already used before and merely want to continue using.

Ok, maybe this is easier.

KNOW the product you use.

If you do that, then you KNOW the product has to change as the OS does. Then you'll understand why you need to look into things before you spend your money.

October 4, 2015 1:12:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When someone takes it upon themselves to change their Operating System they expose themselves to potential issues with each and every currently-installed program.  They may or may not be compatible yet [or compatible at all - ever] so it is necessary for the person changing OS to research whether the update is going to ruin his current PC experience or not.

An on-going subscription to Object Desktop enables the subscriber to keep up to date with product revisions as and when they become available.  If for example the sole reason for the OD sub is to be using/maintaining Windowblinds....and Windowblinds is not [yet] compatible with your new OS then the solution is to revert to the prior OS until such time as it is.

EG...I have 5 systems [not counting VMs] on which Win 10 has been put on 3.

I still benefit from Windowblinds working just fine on 2, and ultimately will have WB on all 5...at which time all 5 may very well be Win10.

Remember, it was your choice, not Stardock's to change your OS ...

October 4, 2015 3:16:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

it was your choice, not Stardock's to change your OS ...
Word

October 4, 2015 8:08:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sabshire - Sit back, take a breath and relax. Look at this another way. So you want WindowBlinds. News flash, many of us want it. We will get it as soon as it's available and that is all there is to it. It will be available at some near future date I'm sure. 

You renewed at $29.99 and most likely because you were close to the expiration date you have. Lets say that WB comes available in a few days, week, month and your subscription had expired. You would now have to pay $49.99 because you can't get the renew price if it had date expired. I figure you will use other programs then WB. If not you would have just purchased Windowblinds. 

Last I will add what has been said. Anyone that has paid any attention to forum post would have known it wasn't ready yet as there must be 20 post about it. So  again please be patient and relax. Look at your quick purchase as a learning curve for future situations. Don't assume anything you are unsure of without checking out things first. Many things in life can not be undone. It happens. 

October 5, 2015 8:43:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've answered your ticket.

October 9, 2015 8:41:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bunch of Thieves, No way I'm purchasing software from Stardock again.

But like all companies these days Stardock is based on capitalistic rewards, This windows 10 issue is just another way to generate new income. even though you paid for a product for a year. they can stick their next Windows 10 subscription up there "You Know What"

I hope they go down!

October 9, 2015 9:09:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wtoerien,

Bunch of Thieves, No way I'm purchasing software from Stardock again.

But like all companies these days Stardock is based on capitalistic rewards, This windows 10 issue is just another way to generate new income. even though you paid for a product for a year. they can stick their next Windows 10 subscription up there "You Know What"

I hope they go down!

I am a little confused as to what way Stardock are a "Bunch of Thieves".  Have you not been delivered everything you have paid for?

If you have a current ObjectDesktop subscription then you will receive all the updates released during your subscription period.

If you purchased a standalone copy of WindowBlinds for example then unless it was very recently I would expect it to be a paid upgrade.  This is hardly unreasonable as the product you purchased works on the OS you purchased it for and the fact it does not work on Windows 10 is due to OS changes which have caused it not to work and resolving those comes at a cost.

A number of the products have already had updates for Windows 10 and the WindowBlinds update is under development.

Stardock have never advertised the non compatible products as Windows 10 compatible and the supported operating systems have been clearly shown on the website.

Ultimately if you have upgraded to Windows 10 then you made an active choice to do so and unfortunately early adoption of a new OS comes with negatives which is that all your software (and even hardware) may not be supported yet and some may require upgrades which may not be free.

It should also be noted that there is no guarantee of timelines as to when updates are released.  Development takes time and sometimes unexpected problems are encountered.  We are not intentionally delaying updates as there is no benefit to us what so ever to do so.  We all wish for all the products to be compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.

October 10, 2015 9:52:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I completely agree with you. I've used Object Desktop for years and decided to upgrade because on their Website for example for Shadow FX it shows that it is compatible with Windows 10. On the entire page there is no small print mentioning incompatibility, nor on the following pages. In Ojbect Desktop Manager it shows that it is compatible with my Windows 10 installation. The configuration window opens and I can make changes, but none of the effects can  be seen on any of the various windows. The same is true of Windows FX.

Start 10 works. Woo hoo.

The idea that I as the consumer should have to spend my time researching whether a product works as described is ludicrous. Let's blame the victim shall we.

I guess the purchasers of VW diesel engine cars should have conducted their own tests to see if the manufacturers were telling the truth.

And all those who purchased those mortgages in the 2000s should have read all 320 pages of their mortgages, after they, of course, had taken courses in real estate and banking law. Yeah, they have only themselves to blame.

And whatever you do, don't dare propose laws or regulations that FORCE companies to actually be truthful in their advertising. Oh no, that would be a terrible imposition.

Maybe we should just all accept that we live in a psychopathic culture and just assume everybody is lying about everything all the time.

Talk about being brainwashed!

October 10, 2015 10:17:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Corelli68,

I completely agree with you.

You completely agree with whom?

October 10, 2015 11:00:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Corelli68,

The configuration window opens and I can make changes, but none of the effects can be seen on any of the various windows. The same is true of Windows FX.

You assume much.

Just because a software doesn't work for you does not mean it's incompatible with your OS.

WindowFX 6 and ShadowFX both work for me on all 4 of my Windows10 machines. Meaning if it doesn't work for you, it's a problem with your particular setup, like maybe something else you're using is conflicting.

October 10, 2015 11:06:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As the OP for this post I want to state that I unwaveringly stand by my original assertions made. But even more I want to give credit to Stardock for addressing these issues to my satisfaction, thus virtually guaranteeing me renewing my subscription once compatibility has been restored. I respect the opinion of those who did not agree with me, I appreciate those who saw things from my point of view, and I give Stardock a ^5 for making things right.

October 10, 2015 12:09:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been a satisfied customer of Stardock for 9 years and in all that time I've had 2, just 2 problems and they were addressed to my satisfaction in a timely manner. From Win 95 through Win 7 and now 8.1. The devs at SD have a proven track record as most can attest to. Nine times out of ten there is a conflict with other software and/or hardware that an individual has on their machine. That too has been proven so before bashing SD one might look at what they have installed. My two cents. 

October 12, 2015 10:41:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Customer since 2001.  This same problem/conversation/argument has occurred with every iteration of Windows.

And every time, most of the suite's apps are re-done & made compatible with the new OS within a reasonable period of time after the OS is released.  Some apps don't make the cut, so to speak, for various reasons - low demand, high technical hurdles, etc. - and some new apps never previously envisioned are added.  MS has made some very strange implementation decisions with each OS version.  Without asking Stardock (or even advising in some cases), I might add.

Just like the OS, the suite evolves.  I won't argue about whether or not SD should put up warnings within the purchase cascade for individual apps or the ODNT suite - wouldn't hurt.  But the compatibility list is there for everyone to see, if one takes the time, before making a purchase.  And when a problem like this surfaces for a specific individual, SD always makes it right in some fashion.  Props to sabshire for reply #14.

And props to Neil Banfield for being the most reasonable man on Earth.  A truly remarkable person.  I only know him through his posts & replies here and the odd email exchange over the years, but I feel quite confident in that assessment.

October 12, 2015 11:51:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

And props to Neil Banfield for being the most reasonable man on Earth. A truly remarkable person. I only know him through his posts & replies here and the odd email exchange over the years, but I feel quite confident in that assessment.

On my visit to Stardock last month, Neil was there too ...so I've [finally] had the chance to meet him in person.

....and he's a good bloke, too ...)

October 13, 2015 1:37:13 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I've been in the neighborhood (Detroit) twice in the past year & just didn't have time on either trip to drop in.  Hope to some day.

And I hope the the sting of being only the Second Most Reasonable Man on Earth isn't too severe, Paul.

October 13, 2015 1:51:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If I ever got to Mich. I would MAKE time to stop in. I'd love to meet some of those guys and shake some hands. It would be so awesome!!!

October 14, 2015 9:18:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Agreed!

December 8, 2015 3:19:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I hope you are successful in either retrieving your investment or getting the programs to work.  I saw your statement while trying to make a decision about purchasing Object Desktop for Windows 10. Some people may think it is naïve and "buyer beware," etc., but a company that has been providing customization software for as long as Stardock should respect the fact that not all of us are computer savvy enough to catch all of these things, and if they are a solid company, be willing to provide support or a refund if their product does not work with your system. (Audible.com sells a lot more books because of their "satisfaction guarantee" than they would without it.) 

From the site ads, I had the impression that Object Desktop was ready for Windows 10 and would function properly with it. This has certainly made me reconsider purchasing the product.  Thank you.

December 8, 2015 8:44:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gwendolyn1265,

From the site ads, I had the impression that Object Desktop was ready for Windows 10 and would function properly with it. This has certainly made me reconsider purchasing the product.  Thank you.

Object Desktop is a suite of applications, most of which works with Windows 10. I'd always advise checking the individual product pages and our compatibility list for updates.

http://forums.stardock.com/469435/

December 8, 2015 10:39:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is coming up on 5 months since Windows 10 was released and WindowBlinds stopped working on my three PCs. There is no excuse for this as numerous other applications were ready for Windows 10. Since the Windows 10 release I have found that I do not miss WindowBlinds. The only WindowBlind I consistently used was "Vintage Tiffany", yet I would keep downloading blinds only to discover that I was unhappy with some aspect. I refused to download pay-for-blinds because why should I pay for a blind that I probably would not like. I have found that I am much more relaxed without frequent visits to WinCustomize so I would not miss a recent release.

My Stardock subscription has expired and I will let my WinCustomize subscription expire as well. I have uninstalled all Stardock applications except for games on my three PCs.

Good Bye Stardock!

December 8, 2015 11:56:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kkunderwood,

It is coming up on 5 months since Windows 10 was released and WindowBlinds stopped working on my three PCs. There is no excuse for this as numerous other applications were ready for Windows 10.

kkunderwood, I must again reiterate. Windowblinds did not 'stop working' - the user changed the OS.  That is NOT the fault of Stardock or Windowblinds but is wholly a decision made by the user.

There IS NO immediate need to change the OS.  Even the 'free upgrade' is available until well into 2016.

Windowblinds [and other GUI-specific software] is NOT like other programs which merely run within the OS.  They instead are dependent upon the Shell [GUI], which was NOT finalised 5 months ago, in fact it is still evolving.

As a long-time member I would have hoped you would be aware of Shell enhancement idiosyncrasies  by now, and held off 'upgrading' until WB10 was Gold [or at least Object Desktop Beta].

As an example, I updated 4 of my 5 machines - all now running various Stardock Apps that ARE ready, whilst the prime machine is happily still on 7 until WB10 is ready [and Microsoft has ironed out the numerous bugs inherent in 10 STILL].

Early adopters [that is what we are currently] are public Beta testers of the new OS, hence the flood of issues abounding [check online].

We are sad to see you go, but that is entirely your choice...

December 9, 2015 3:51:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A reminder.

Comments not pertaining to support of the Op will be summarily removed...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.