Is it possible to use .xpsuites with MyColors?

By on September 19, 2015 9:16:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Weboh

Join Date 03/2014

I found the old Windows XP AlienGUIse Alienware suites. I also found the Windows 7 version of the free themer, MyColors. I want to be able to use the old themes with the new program, since I have Windows 7 and need to use that program. When I just rename the .xpsuite file to a .mycolors file and add all the missing things that that has that the other doesn't, the theme doesn't apply. Presumably, this is to keep people from using MyColors instead of buying the full version. Do the themes have to be "signed" for MyColors or something? It seems like I would be able to use these themes with it, since they were originally used with another free version of OD. Is there a way to make them work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Locked Post 31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 19, 2015 10:26:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As far as I know, there was never a free version of Object Desktop (OD), or MyColors, and to answer your question, nothing works with MyColors but those skins which Stardock put out for it, and MyColors is no longer supported or sold by Stardock, it's antique. Also, the AlienGUIse suite was limited to use on Alienware computers, and not to be given away, so I don't know where you got it, but you should not have.

September 19, 2015 11:37:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The free version was like MyColors is now--locked down to a few promo suites. There were several different version of it for several different suites (XBox, Nintendo, etc). And AlienWare offered the suites as a free download on their page back in ~2005. Soooooo....

September 20, 2015 7:24:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Apples and oranges. Free downloads can be a good thing if......you have the requisite hardware, in this case Alienware hardware, which is what AlienGuise was designed for. I tried it years ago on a non-Alienware machine and it worked, sometimes. I wound up getting rid of it. Mycolors is like LightStar said, Antique and no longer supported by SD. Trying to marry one antique to another on hardware not designed for its use is, not to put too fine a point on it, dumb. Its no surprise that it won't work the way you want it to. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 20, 2015 9:55:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's no hardware requirement. I used to use the themes on a Windows XP computer, and they always worked just the the main OD suite, with no problem. Heck, I even got them to work on virtual machine by simply installing them. I know MyColors isn't supported by StarDock. I'm not asking them for help. I'm asking you guys, and no offense, I'd like the advice of people that know what they're talking about.

September 20, 2015 11:07:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have at it then!

September 20, 2015 11:55:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It seems like I would be able to use these themes with it, since they were originally used with another free version of OD. Is there a way to make them work?
While both programs served similar functions, they were produced by entirely different companies using different methods and code. Short answer, no, the can't be made to work together and all you will likely accomplish is hosing your OS install.

September 20, 2015 3:24:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

While both programs served similar functions, they were produced by entirely different companies using different methods and code. Short answer, no, the can't be made to work together and all you will likely accomplish is hosing your OS install.

Weren't they both made by StarDock? They both have StarDock branding, and both use WindowBlinds and IconPackager. I can extract the files from each type of suite and use them in both of those programs with no problem. How can I hose my system using them? Isn't skinning the UI what this is made to do? I'm not talking about doing any hacks. I just want to know (from someone who is knowledgeable about the programs, which you guys obviously aren't) if there's something I can do to the theme file to make MyColors recognize it and apply it like it would any other MyColors theme.

September 20, 2015 4:12:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Weboh,

which you guys obviously aren't)
I know much more than you, obviously.

The fact that SD abandoned  MyColors ought to tell you something, DUH. Even TM which is the current so-called theme applying App is buggy as hell.. Just extract the things and apply the WB, IP, wall, etc using the program interface for each. SD needs a major overhaul of ThemeManager. Using XP designed skins on Win7 is going to give less than optimum results and you can expect issues.

September 20, 2015 4:45:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you obviously know more than me because you can spread misinformation? Everything in your first post was wrong and I pointed it all out. StarDock abandoned MyColors because nobody wanted to make more themes after Windows 7 came out. How is that a DUH moment? I don't have WindowBlinds for Windows 7, which is why I want to see if I can use this. I know that XP themes on 7 aren't going to be optimal, but with the free trial of WB, the skins worked well enough. So please, leave this discussion open for people that want to help instead of just showing off how "superior" they are.

September 20, 2015 5:11:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Weboh,

StarDock abandoned MyColors because nobody wanted to make more themes after Windows 7
Wrong. Stardock created MC and only they released themes in that format. There was no "nobody" that could  create MC themes. Dude, just get WindowBlinds and be happy. screwing around with obsolete software isn't the way to go, trust me. And being rude and obnoxious isn't going to serve you well here.

September 20, 2015 5:14:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Weboh,

I don't have WindowBlinds for Windows 7, which is why I want to see if I can use this.

If you don't have windowblinds, it won't work anyway. How do you expect AlienGUI to apply a windowblinds skin if you don't have windowblinds?

Do tell. 

September 20, 2015 5:41:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

StarDock abandoned MyColors because nobody wanted to make more themes after Windows 7

Wrong. Stardock created MC and only they released themes in that format. There was no "nobody" that could  create MC themes. Dude, just get WindowBlinds and be happy. screwing around with obsolete software isn't the way to go, trust me. And being rude and obnoxious isn't going to serve you well here.

I realize they weren't regualr themes available from average Joes. StarDock was paid by companies to do some of them. And when Windows 7 came out, people didn't care as much about customization because the default theme was good enough. So since there was no market for it, nobody else paid them to do it. That's the reason they abandoned it--not because it was inherently bad. That's what I meant. I'm not the one being rude and obnoxious. That's you with your whole short, wrong, snippy answers.

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Weboh,

I don't have WindowBlinds for Windows 7, which is why I want to see if I can use this.

If you don't have windowblinds, it won't work anyway. How do you expect AlienGUI to apply a windowblinds skin if you don't have windowblinds?

Do tell. 

...By using the free version packaged with this program? If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't talk about it. It's not helpful. If you guys can't help me, at least stop posting and making it seem like other people can't. Hopefully there's someone that knows about this program and can tell me.

September 20, 2015 6:12:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Your getting loud with the wrong people. Look at their join dates, they do know more then you.

Having said that, the answer to your question "Is there a way to make them work?" the answer is NO. You can rename the .xpfile to .zip and extract the parts but even then you still need all the apps to apply them. Besides MyColors doesn't work on Win 7 just XP.

September 20, 2015 6:42:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MyColors does work on Windows 7. I know because I'm currently using it with the Alienware suite released for it. Are you familiar with MyColors and sure there's no way to make these other themes work?

September 20, 2015 6:44:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*beating a dead horse*

September 20, 2015 7:21:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*nobody is knowledgeable about it* You didn't know that StarDock made it, RedneckDude didn't know that it used WindowBlinds to work, and Almonty didn't know it worked on Windows 7. So you guys clearly aren't the ultimate authority on this program. Why is it wrong to want somebody that knows more about it to give me advice?

September 20, 2015 7:58:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MyColors website, Read. http://www.stardock.com/products/themes/

This is what it says:

An Object Desktop Premium Theme gives your Windows desktop and applications a custom look and feel. With a Premium Theme, users can apply an entirely different look for their desktop, icons, wallpaper, window frames, scroll bars, buttons, and more!

Premium Themes Require: Object Desktop with recent versions of IconPackager, Theme Manager, and WindowBlinds installed.
Explore Object Desktop purchase options. 

And if your still  not sure, read here:http://forums.stardock.com/1073/page/1/

It says:   MyColors is available for Windows XP (32 bit), and Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit).

I bought 17 themes and I can't us any of them. We've all tried and failed. It doesn't work.

September 20, 2015 8:03:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Weboh,

By using the free version packaged with this program? If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't talk about it. It's not helpful

Man, I was trying to help. I no longer have Windows 7, and haven't used AlienGUI in ages. So I forgot it came with WindowBlinds bundled. You apparently don't appreciate people at least trying to help. So, I won't try anymore. Al Monty is correct.

I seem to remember you being a bit nasty on another thread in the past. Maybe you don't deserve to be helped, I dunno. But I'm done.

If you check, you'll find that 2 people in this thread Wiz and I, had a thread going a few YEARS ago where the older version of WindowBlinds which comes with MyColors totally borked our Win7 systems. This AlienGUI uses a similar, if not the same, version of WindowBlinds.  So some of us DO know it won't work on 7, at least not well.

Good luck.

September 20, 2015 9:17:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been here for 13 years. I've seen Mycolors born and die, no one could get it to work on newer OS's. If you find a way good for you. Or you could put in a trouble ticket to Stardock and they'll give you an answer.

He's all yours guys! Peace out

(Now I know why I stay off of these forums)

September 20, 2015 9:27:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The Alienware themes were produced FOR Alienware...for their products.

To apply them to a Win7 OS and not XP you will need a Windowblinds for Win7.

No matter how you do it... the GUI will not skin entirely correctly as the theme was for XP.

Please accept both this and other's responses above as informative, NOT confrontational. 

The above respondents do actually know their craft...

September 21, 2015 12:11:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Man, I was trying to help. I no longer have Windows 7, and haven't used AlienGUI in ages. So I forgot it came with WindowBlinds bundled. You apparently don't appreciate people at least trying to help. So, I won't try anymore. Al Monty is correct.
Sorry. Uvah wasn't trying to help and was only pretending to be knowledgeable, and I interpreted your winky emoji as a sarcasm tag and thought you were just being like him.

Quoting RedneckDude,

I seem to remember you being a bit nasty on another thread in the past. Maybe you don't deserve to be helped, I dunno. But I'm done.

I wasn't nasty on another thread. People were giving me answers like Uvah did that weren't helpful and were condescending. The internet is wonderful for misunderstanding, and they happen.

Quoting ALMonty,

(Now I know why I stay off of these forums)
Forums are prime for misunderstandings. Sorry!

September 21, 2015 6:40:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I may not be as knowledgeable as most but I've been around long enough to what works and what doesn't. I've used all of SD products save Multiplicity and Spacemonger, both relatively new. To say I've been obtuse or whatever......well......I usually respond in kind. What will it take for you to accept what knowledgeable people tell you. Some have been around from day one and know as much as the developers do. Kindly give them the benefit of the doubt. 

September 21, 2015 11:03:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you responded in kind to my initial, unhostile, question by telling me that I'm dumb and giving me a short "or course not, gosh!" answer based on things that weren't true (like Alienware computers being required for it)? Okay.

And if you'd have read all of my last post, you'd have seen that I apologized and gave them the benefit of the doubt.

September 21, 2015 12:04:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, we don't need to hang on to this all day. I hope you got an answer to your question, if not please let us know and we'll try to help.

September 21, 2015 2:05:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I got an answer that it more than likely isn't possible, but just in case someone else knows a way, I'd like to keep this thread open.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.