Ubuntu installation not detecting installed Windows 10 [Solved]

By on September 14, 2015 10:15:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BlackSmokeDMax

Join Date 03/2006
+49

I know there is some smart people hanging out on this board, hoping one of you can help with this.

Here is the situation:

I have an extra computer that was running Win7 Pro x64. I have since upgraded that to Windows 10 Pro, and then after that, went through and did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Everything good so far. Mostly. The computer was running Win7 with the hard drives in a Raid 1 setup. Windows 10 didn't seem to respect that, and installed on one drive only. This was true for both the standard upgrade and the clean install. Looked into that, and it seems I would have had to load drivers from an optical disk or USB during the Win10 install to solve this.

That led me to saying, "oh well, I'll leave that be." So now I have (2) 1 TB drives in this PC leaving me a completely empty drive...

Figured I would throw an Ubuntu install on there, just to start learning Linux a bit. Already had an Ubuntu DVD prepared from saving some files from a laptop with a corrupt Windows install for a friend. So, I threw that in the drive and went for the install.

Now the problem. Ubuntu doesn't seem to detect the install of Windows 10 that is certainly there and running just fine. I've done quite a bit of internet searching on the problem. Had found a few things to try.

- Disabling UEFI bios, my MOBO doesn't seem to have it, so that wasn't it.

- Found a slew of commands to try entering via the ubuntu terminal. None of them seemed to do the trick.

Next thing I'm thinking of trying is installing Ubuntu first (wiping out the Win10 install). Apparently that will mess up the ubuntu installed boot menu, but that can be easily repaired with a boot-repair tool.

Basically just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas to try. This is not a high priority thing, like I said, just an extra computer I had laying around that I'd like to use to play around with Win10 and Linux.

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 14, 2015 11:37:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Last I heard windows 10 does not allow dual booting....

September 15, 2015 3:30:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi,

Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit schould have UEFI support. On EFI You can select the booting device or partition its F-11 on my laptop.

Jafo its not important if Win 10 wants to support dual boot or not, since its not the win10 boot loader thats touched. If you don`t let ubuntu see windows 10 installation thats the hidden key.

What i would do:

option 1):

Enable EFI if possible.

install Win 10 on one harddisk and remove the cable of the one you want for ubuntu and have maybe win7 on it.Try to remove secure boot.

Then create a very small Fat 16 partition on the second Harddisk. And then install ubuntu to its free space.

Now you attach  both and use the efi boot bios loader menu your pc has. Then its unimportant if your win 10 supports linux or not.

Thats the easiest way. Set win10 as default. Efi lets your computer have both boot loaders and the disk. otherwise you can try to change disk boot priority each time in bios.

option 2):

proceed first likely in option1.

you have a floppy disk drive or a n usb stick or cdrom to store linux bootloader. Install windows 10 to one drive ubuntu to the other one. Now make sure you have an working win 10 installation. You can copy the boot loader for your linux installation to a floppy or usb stick or cd-rom(there are even free ones (13 MB) that autodetect grub2 from ubuntu and let you boot it). not elegant but will work.

Themes: for gtk2/3 gnome3-flashback  unity cinnamon  try search on noobslab .

If you have found one and have a question ask me i wrote few for ubuntu 14.10 and one till 12.10. 15.04 i don`t encourage you to use 15.04 unity due to less features.

regards bluedxca93

September 15, 2015 4:03:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Boot order for option 2 if you use bios): USB-STORAGE CDROM, Win10HD.

Make a normal win10 installation and detach drive, install ubuntu to another, set win10 drive as first drive and look that you have win 10 booting corectly.

Now you can either use uefi boot-build in bootloader or an external booting drive to start linux.

Not try to let grub2/ubuntu boot win 10. that works with 7 but not with 10 or 8

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 15, 2015 7:30:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Question: If your computer has two separate drives (physical drives) and on one you have Win 10 and on the other a separate OS, like 8.1 or other, can you dual boot that way?

September 15, 2015 8:39:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Question: If your computer has two separate drives (physical drives) and on one you have Win 10 and on the other a separate OS, like 8.1 or other, can you dual boot that way?
Yes. On my main rig I have Win7 on an SSD and Win8.1 on a platter drive. Works fine.

September 15, 2015 9:29:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bluedxca93:

Not sure if this changes your advice or not, but it appears my motherboard does not have UEFI. I should have made that more clear in the original post, instead it looks like I said that it does not have a way to disable UEFI.

I'm thinking that it may not matter with your other method. (Detaching the Win10 drive during Ubuntu install) May have to give that a try.

Quoting Uvah,

That is my exact situation, and I believe it should work that way, with the onboard RAID disabled.

September 15, 2015 2:43:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Isn't a raid configuration used to make them mimic each other or to just operate in tandem. Now you're making me curious.

September 15, 2015 3:10:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Isn't a raid configuration used to make them mimic each other or to just operate in tandem. Now you're making me curious.

With two hard drives they are typically in either Raid 0 mode (speed mode) or Raid 1 mode (data security.) With Raid 0 if you lose one, you've lost  everything, as they are combined together, with Raid 1, they are an exact copy of each other, so if you lose 1 and then replace it, the Raid utility will rebuild the replaced drive back to being an exact copy.

With Raid disabled, you are back to having 2 (in this case) separate hard drives.

September 15, 2015 3:14:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sort of an active backup. Do work on one and the other duplicates it. Very not bad. Thanks   

September 15, 2015 3:19:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I am running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 on the same comnputer, triple boot... 

September 15, 2015 3:33:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Sort of an active backup. Do work on one and the other duplicates it. Very not bad. Thanks   

While fairly accurate, there is a typical * to that statement. Raid 1 should not be treated the same as backing up, as it is really only good for one specific function, the breakdown of one drive. Timeliness to getting back up and running is about all it provides. In case of fire, it's all gone, in case of virus, it's possibly all gone, etc. Backing up should still be done in the case of important data.

September 15, 2015 3:59:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

All you have to do is go into bios, disable secure boot, enable legacy boot.

September 15, 2015 4:02:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Jafo,

All you have to do is go into bios, disable secure boot, enable legacy boot.

I take it that is only applicable to a computer with UEFI?

September 15, 2015 4:05:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes. Otherwise, dual booting is child's play.

But with Win10, as with Win8, you may need to go into bios and allow for booting to CD\DVD\USB.

Some PCs have a certain key to press on startup. mine is F12. To access the boot mode.

September 15, 2015 4:18:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

But with Win10, as with Win8, you may need to go into bios and allow for booting to CD\DVD\USB.

Some PCs have a certain key to press on startup. mine is F12. To access the boot mode.

Yeah, I've been into the BIOS and can access the boot menu (F11 on this particular machine), so booting to the ubuntu dvd is no problem. The main issue being the non-detection of Windows 10 during ubuntu install. At this point, I'm hoping to try the method bluedxca93 recommended earlier in the thread of temporarily disconnecting my drive with Win10 installed.

September 16, 2015 2:51:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi,

the boot disc (linux bootloader from cd.) i mentioned earlier:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/

If it detects win 10 all you need to do is press e and note the boot configuration and add it to ubuntu grub2 boot loader as described  here in an askubuntu thread very similar to your problem also try the ideas  it fi it doesn`t detect it.):
http://askubuntu.com/questions/564496/trying-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-14-10-with-windows-10-last-one-not-detected

And on your setup grub might use hd1 instead of hd0. for windows 10 don`t  be confused about if its the case.

My advice don`t install grub on the same physical disc as win10. Thats also why i did say detach win10 disc while installing. Since ubuntu does it by default and win10 only writes boot loader to whole harddisk boot and not to its partititon as default also set windows 10 partition active with gparted in ubuntu.

Get a win10 boot recovery disc to restore win10 boot loader if necessary. Its easier to reapply/restore ubuntu boot loader ( you also can istall grub2 ubuntu boot loader to a floppy or usb drive if necessary) .
win10 bootloader  has to be on harddisk

regards bluedxca93

September 16, 2015 2:57:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HD0: fat16 ( realls small 1 gb): ubuntu with grub2

HD1: win 10 with boot loader

default boot will be on HD0 with grub2 which can of course  boot HD1 with win 10  with chainloader+1 or ntldr.

schould work.

Note HD1 ad 0 might be reversed.

September 16, 2015 9:16:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

if all fails, just install linux via virtualbox or some other virtual machine. a lot slower with older machines, less fiddly, and pretty much guaranteed not to screw up your windows. you can also mess with all the different linux flavours you want, not just *buntu

obviously i'm assuming win10 will log everything you do in the vm as opposed to dualbooted... so that's a downside.

September 16, 2015 10:53:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

if all fails, just install linux via virtualbox or some other virtual machine. a lot slower with older machines, less fiddly, and pretty much guaranteed not to screw up your windows. you can also mess with all the different linux flavours you want, not just *buntu

Good point, but I think if all else fails, I'm just going to install ubuntu all by itself. So far what I've seen of Win10, I don't love. I don't hate a lot of it, but certainly don't love it.

The speed of the OS seems great, even on a 6 year old machine.

They are trying so desperately to tie everything all together. Which in certain ways is a great thing. The problem being is if you have multiple accounts for a reason and do not want them tied together so closely, there is no real option. I expect that might change slightly as time goes on and programs are released by non-MS groups who aren't so worried about the "total experience". Plus, I haven't tried installing any legacy software yet, which I expect most will work just fine, but like I said, haven't tried it yet.

Will probably give the dual-boot install a whirl again one night this week, and if not, then for sure on the weekend.

September 17, 2015 10:46:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[Solved]

Ended up just forcing through the Ubuntu install on 2nd hard drive (/dev/sdb in ubuntu), got that working just fine.

Somewhere during that I accidentally deleted the main partition on /dev/sda (my Win10 install), so I ended up having to reinstall windows. That was mainly due to inexperience with the gparted UI. LOL, it is a quick, dangerous tool!

After the windows install, it looked like windows had reset the partitions on my second drive, but booting up with the ubuntu DVD, and looking at that with fdisk showed that not to be true.

From there I had to install supergrub to a bootable USB drive. That got me back into my ubuntu install, from there I was able to modify grub back into the MBR so that I am getting grub as the first thing I see on boot-up.

The only minor problem is instead of showing the actual win10 install in grub, it shows up as the windows recovery area. Selecting the windows recovery area as the OS to boot shows an error, but then kicks over to the Win10 boot up. So one extra button press, not a big deal.

Tested and can boot to both. And have tested a windows update that needed a restart, and that seemed to go through as well. So think I'm set!

Thanks to all who contributed!

September 17, 2015 11:54:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BlackSmokeDMax,

Quoting RedneckDude,

been into the BIOS and can access the boot menu (F11 on this particular machine), so booting to the ubuntu dvd is no problem. The main issue being the non-detection of Windows 10 during ubuntu install. 

That's the issue I am referring to....

September 17, 2015 11:57:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Quoting Jafo,

I am running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 on the same comnputer, triple boot... 

Yes... but I bet the host / original was 7, not 10....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.