Windows 8 compatibility?

By on September 13, 2015 5:37:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mwrightmw

Join Date 12/2012

All this talk of windows 10 compatibility... Why were the skins never updated for the address bar to be white so they don't look absolutely terrible?

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2015 11:21:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some people prefer the address bar not to be white. Skinners like to skin everything that can be skinned. 

My current address bar is light blue, and I like it that way.  

Also, updating all skins isn't feasible. There are a lot of skins out there, updating all of them would be impossible.

September 13, 2015 2:19:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well yeah, obviously I don't believe it's their responsibility to fix other people's skins.

Are you using windows 8/8.1/10? Because to me, this looks broken:

September 13, 2015 4:17:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That IS broken. Obviously you're trying to use WindowBlinds 8 on Windows 10. It is a known issue that WindowBlinds 8 will make your taskbar icons wide.

WindowBlinds does not work on Windows 10 yet, it has been addressed countless times in these forums.

Here is a list of what does work for Windows 10.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/469524/page/1/ 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 13, 2015 4:20:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Note that WindowBlinds isn't compatible with Windows 10.

September 13, 2015 4:30:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry for being unclear. I was referring, as above, to the white ribbon + black address bar in an included skin. This has been the same since windows 8.

September 13, 2015 5:10:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please note that Windowblinds 8 or any other prior is not compatible with windows 10. You will always find issues attempting to run 8.

Please do not,  as it's not supported. 

When Windowblinds is supported it will not be "Windowblinds 8". ....

September 13, 2015 6:17:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK I'm regretting not cutting out the taskbar from that screenshot; this has nothing to do with windows 10. My concern is with file explorer, and originates with windows 8. Since then I've been waiting for the fix but it never came. 

The ribbon divides the control bar and the navigation bar, and since they say the ribbon cannot be skinned for whatever reason, the navigation bar needs to be white to match.

I assume other windows 8.1 users are using Old New Explorer to get rid of the ribbon, but that shouldn't be a requirement to use this program.

September 13, 2015 6:36:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm very doubtful that the ribbon will be skinnable on the final version of WB 10. The best we (skinners) can do is make our skins (boring) white to match the 2 glaringly unskinnable elements of the GUI. It's kinda like in the day of Vista skinning. Windows 7 (and XP before that) were IMO the best for us in terms of what we could do.

Like you mentioned there are proggies that give us back som of the W7 GUI and that is good, but Window 8 and 10 may have killed skinning for my part unfortunately.

September 13, 2015 6:52:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mwrightmw,

the navigation bar needs to be white to match.

The navigation bar in your screenshot is from the Win8 Metro skin. It was skinned that way. If you want, try a different skin, one which uses a white nav bar.

The guy who skinned the skin you're using apparently wanted it to be off white/gray.

For example, the Win8 skin, by the same person, has a white nav bar.

Moral of story:

Pick a skin with a white nav bar.

Or, you could go into SkinStudio and change the nav bar in Win8 Metro to white, IF you weren't running Windows 10.

September 13, 2015 7:26:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What will users who install the demo and see half the skins don't work think of this program? Basically those skins are part of the program, and if they don't work then it's unfair to say that windows 8 is fully supported.

September 14, 2015 6:29:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm running Win 8.1 and Windowblinds works flawlessly. I have a host of skins made for Win 7, 8 and 8.1 and none have issues and no I'm not using Old Explorer. The ribbon stays nicely tucked out of sight and IMO I like it. My two cents.

September 14, 2015 11:38:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mwrightmw,

What will users who install the demo and see half the skins don't work think of this program? Basically those skins are part of the program, and if they don't work then it's unfair to say that windows 8 is fully supported.

The skins mentioned above DO work. Just because some parts aren't the color you want them to be doesn't mean the program don't work.

(Again, I mention that it isn't supposed to work on Windows 10.)

The Win8 Metro skin works exactly as it was meant to. At least it does on my Windows 8.1 machines, I have several.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.