My turn to say...I quit!

Crazy!

By on August 6, 2015 9:15:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+784

One week ago today as I crushed the last empty pack of smokes and tossed it I didn't look in any mirror or do any soul searching. What I did was say enough is enough and went cold turkey. Chills, heat flashes, body aches and other not nice stuff followed and I wondered...what was I thinking. Seven days later no cravings, getting more sleep, after a fashion and a return to decent appetite. Speaking of which my taste buds feel like they're overdrive, everything tastes so much better. Changed my diet to include more veggies and fruit and I developed a new appreciation for ordinary water. Got a little ways to go yet but I'm off and running and I ain't lookin' back. Yaaaaay me!

23 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2015 9:25:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WOW! When I read the title I thought it meant you were quitting Wincustomize....and I was going to slap you with a trout! (ask WOM or Hank)!     But since it is quitting to smoke... Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for you!!    But you say you had hot flashes... sounds like menopause to me!!!!     

Wishing you the very best, in trying to tame the beast!!!! 

August 6, 2015 9:32:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks tbc. As for quitting WC....hell no! Never gonna happen. Where else am I gonna insinuate my insanity. Lol

August 6, 2015 9:41:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The most important thing to remember is that you haven't quit, only stopped! You may stop for a week or a month, but the habit will always be lurking in your subconscious waiting for a trigger to reactivate the habit. My wife and I stopped smoking back in 1982, but some two years later we went to a gaslight theater which allowed smoking. The sudden urge to smoke hit both of us and we had to leave.

I applaud your decision and hope that you can continue to avoid this very real health problem.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 6, 2015 10:10:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I quit cold turkey back in 2000 too Ross, never went back. When I would get the urge to smoke, I'd take a really deep breath and think to myself "You know, if I was a smoker I'd be coughing like hell right now! Been 15 years, and I will never go back!

August 6, 2015 10:36:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

good on you.... keep it up...  

August 6, 2015 11:10:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good on ya Ross, keep up the good work and feel good about yourself.... most importantly, believe in yourself and know you will succeed.

I've been off the smokes for 6 years 8 months and haven't looked back.  I had a bit of help at the beginning with something called Champix, like during the week prior to stopping day, but after that I went cold turkey.  I was supposed to have taken it for another 6-8 weeks afterwards but felt like I didn't need it.  I was determined and resolute because my health was suffering so much, and that was a great motivator, but believing in myself, my success was what kept me on track.

August 6, 2015 11:19:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks guys. I have a friend who stays with me from time to time and she smokes. Oddly enough I'm not bothered by it. Weird.

August 6, 2015 1:34:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Thanks guys. I have a friend who stays with me from time to time and she smokes. Oddly enough I'm not bothered by it. Weird.

It's not so weird.  I've had people smoking around me at times and I wasn't bothered by it... no cravings or desire to light up at all.

So about the female friend, one of mine who know I'd quit smoking asked: "So you don't smoke after intercourse, then?"

I replied: "Dunno, I've never looked!"

August 6, 2015 5:13:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Smokin'!

August 6, 2015 6:19:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

She asked" Do you smoke after sex?" I replied, I don't know, I've never been drunk enough to try to light it "

Good on ya, Ross, that tobacco stuff will kill you.....slowly!!. Stay off that stuff..

August 6, 2015 6:42:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good for you!! Did the same thing about 18 years ago. Big doings..how much of a raise in disposable income did you give yourself...

August 7, 2015 7:09:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting delve-miller,

how much of a raise in disposable income did you give yourself...

Enough to be a bit more comfortable. 5 x 7 x 4

August 7, 2015 7:42:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I quit in 2002, Food started tasting too good gained to much weight, now trying to lose some, I can smell the smoke a 100 yards away now, have no urge to start again. Quite alcohol about 25 years ago, still have the urge for a beer once in a while.

August 7, 2015 7:57:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, I quit 1 nov. 2005.  Took about 2 weeks to get over being hooked and another 2 years to get rid of the habit.  As long as the person who smokes is down wind of me I'am fine with it other wise I start coughing.

Glad to see another person quit.

August 7, 2015 2:22:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting navaljayhawk,

Quite alcohol about 25 years ago, still have the urge for a beer once in a while.

Nah, I still enjoy a beer or 3 on occasion.  A few people who quit the smokes reckoned they had to quit the drink as well, because drinking alcohol made them want to light up again, but that has never bothered me.  The determination to improve my health/breathing always kept me on track... not to mention having more money for worthwhile things that don't simply go up in smoke.  I have creature comforts that I would never have been able to afford before, so the win win is all the deterrent I need to remain smoke free.

August 7, 2015 5:23:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I prefer a brandy now and then or maybe a beer or two but I've never been much of a drinker. Schnapps is good too. Peach is a favorite.

August 7, 2015 7:59:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah for you!!!

August 7, 2015 9:26:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good for you!  I quit about 27 years ago. Also cold turkey.  I had to stop going to the clubs because back then, you could still smoke inside.  Now, whenever someone is smoking nearby or even just had one, I want to gag! I can't believe I used to smell like a used ashtray!

August 8, 2015 7:02:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks. First cup of java in the am takes on a whole new meaning. Yum!

As an aside...I joked a bit about 2015 being my year. Turns out its kinda like that. I got my cable, dedicated internet, new laptop running 8.1. I'm using the trial versions of WB 8.12 and Start 8 and I can't tell the difference between that and Win 7. Now giving up ciggies......I feel blessed. 

August 8, 2015 8:07:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Now giving up ciggies......I feel blessed.

Yeah, life without the 'coffin nails' is so much better.

Hehe... a true story.

Shaunna and I were flying up from Tassie and the hostesses were sitting opposite us during takeoff.  Anyway, the usual pre-flight messages/warnings came across the PA system about it being a non=smoking flight.... that the toilets were fitted with smoke detectors and offenders would be prosecuted. 

Right off the cuff I piped up and said: "Bugger!   No obligatory smoke afterwards means our plans to join the mile high club are off"

With that the hosties cracked up laughing.

August 8, 2015 8:45:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Congratulations, Starkers!  But...it's not over.  You will start coughing as your lungs clear out and breathe better.  In about six weeks, the craving comes back and that is when most people cave in and start smoking again.  It you can make it through that six week issue and not relapse you will be FREE!  My dad smoked three packs a day for most of his life.  His doctor told him he had a choice:  live or die.  He quit cold turkey and never went back.  Fingers crossed that you can do the same.  The life you save really is your own! 

August 8, 2015 1:20:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Cameochi,

Congratulations, Starkers!  But...it's not over.  You will start coughing as your lungs clear out and breathe better.  In about six weeks, the craving comes back and that is when most people cave in and start smoking again.  It you can make it through that six week issue and not relapse you will be FREE!  My dad smoked three packs a day for most of his life.  His doctor told him he had a choice:  live or die.  He quit cold turkey and never went back.  Fingers crossed that you can do the same.  The life you save really is your own! 

Um, I've been off the smokes for over 6 years now.  It's Uvah who's just quit.

August 9, 2015 7:59:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah and I'm into day eleven. I take things one day at a time. Much easier than fretting over the little stuff.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.