Norton update creates havoc!

and how to fix it ...

By on July 8, 2015 4:35:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ormrod2002

Join Date 12/2012

Hi guys,

My Norton internet security updated its self last night and must have done some kind of background scan and in that ended up deleting a whole pile of stuff it should not have.

Before anyone says, my objectdock is genuine, I have used norton for years with no problems after this update though objectdock reported objectdock Dll/Hook missing "please reinstall..." and stopped working, well I have used objectdock for years with no problems either I love that app, well the answer to fix it is simple, go to nortons options and find the quarantine section and restore the Dll from there. 

I would have to admit in this regard Norton is a pile of cr** for being so aggressive.

Kind regards

Stardock fan.

Locked Post 50 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 8, 2015 4:58:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Norton is one of the worst pos along with mcafee.honestly most people are fine and are protected with just what windows loads on your computer.ahh that Microsoft though.i don't use an antivirus just what comes installed by Microsoft and ill tell you between the firewall and windows defender.i don't get jack problems and I'm a power user.honestly most people get viruses from allowing virus programs.they tell you that your whole computer is fucked even though 9 times out of ten that's whats causing it until you purchase.your dll prolly got erased with a Norton update because the way those programs work is this.coding is limited and it searches for strings that's common in viruses.problem is every program in existence uses similar coding at time to a degree.

don't believe me fine,but for my whole life ive never had any issues with my computers by not having antivirus bloatware

July 8, 2015 5:33:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Norton is a legal virus.

It was crap the minute it took a "special" tool to remove it. It supposedly improved, but it remains crap, it seems.

No surprise.

July 8, 2015 7:47:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting juggalofrost1,

don't believe me fine,but for my whole life ive never had any issues with my computers by not having antivirus bloatware

Reminds me of the guy walking down the city street spraying himself with some odd chemical...and his friend says 'what's that?' and the guy says 'it's my crocodile repellent'...and the other says 'there aren't any crocs in the city...' and the guy says 'see? it works!'

Not having a GOOD AV program means you don't have an indicator of an issue even if you did.

Not knowing is not not having.....

Just yesterday Kaspersky dealt with 2 infected emails on this machine [as they were received].

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 8, 2015 8:40:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Norton, absolutely the best internet insecurity a person can get.

Guaranteed to always be working in the background... breaking shit.

Install with confidence if you want to be free of stress-free PC use.

Yes, that's right folks, Norton Internet Insecurity, designed from the ground up to be a PITA

July 8, 2015 9:18:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Norton is absolute complete JUNK! Get rid of it.

July 8, 2015 9:18:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

well the answer to fix it is simple

Thank you for taking the time to post so that someone else might benefit from your experience. 

July 8, 2015 9:37:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been using Avast Pro Anti-virus for a couple years now. It's very light weight on my system and you would never know it was even there until it detects a threat. It's very affordable for most anyone and I highly recommend it if you are in the market for dependable and hassle free protection.           -- Ace  --

July 9, 2015 5:39:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think that some do not know that there is absolutely no need to run the Internet security package.
Antivirus already includes Antivirus obviously Antimalware and Antibot.

Trust me im far off sharing the same opinion as the guys above me, i use Norton AV and im absolutely happy with it.

In some cases it will Auto lock/block unreputated shit...
Meaning that stuff gets quarantined to protect you due to the fact that the file has no/low user reputation and almost no userbase worlwide.
You still can go and allow it if you run your installers with administrative rights if you totally trust the application.

I started using Norton AV in 2013 again after the 2006 desaster, even though i told myself to never go back.
The only other AV i would switch to atm is Bitdefender.

But then again they cant save themselves from intruders as you can read online...
So one could go and point fingers there and HAW HAW, but it would just seem equally silly since ist also top row.

July 9, 2015 6:08:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been using Norton Internet Secuity for about 3 years, and I've never had any issues with it. I switched to NIS after Avast completely missed a virus that had been around for a long time and was well known.

July 9, 2015 9:16:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Case in point. A friend of mine has a laptop with Norton preinstalled. I did a quick scan with MalwareBytes that unfortunately was not able to complete, my friend got a call and had to leave. Anyway mb found five PUPS about a third of the way through the scan. Next time I get my hands on it I'll run the full scan and see what pups up. Go Norton  

Thne I'll strip it to the bare bones...he he. 

July 9, 2015 10:07:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

In some cases it will Auto lock/block unreputated shit... Meaning that stuff gets quarantined to protect you due to the fact that the file has no/low user reputation and almost no userbase worlwide.

Oh, yes.  Norton is the WORLD'S BEST AV Software.... provided the criterion is how well it succeeds with FALSE POSITIVES.

The really enjoyable part of this equation is how cleverly it can slander and malign another's reputable software...

WITH SEEMING IMPUNITY.

Norton cannot get its act together to NOT interfere-with-legitimate-software-TOO-DAMN-OFTEN.

The living end [for me] was when Norton decided the Microsoft BITS service was 'suspicious/malware' and PERMANENTLY DISABLED IT.

You had essentially 2 choices.... sift through three pages of command line instructions and registry edits.... or completely reinstall Windows.

I discarded 10 months of subscription and said 'fuck you, Norton 3rd strike'...and switched to BitDefender.

Yes, Norton [from what I since heard] hasn't quite repeated that clusterfuck of a 'slight glitch' and now tends to 'only' annoy the shit out of programmers everywhere with false positives.....

Those outside the 'programming industry' probably see that as an improvement.

I don't.

July 9, 2015 1:17:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I don't.

Me, either!   My Win 8 tablet-come-laptop came with Norton pre-installed, and to put it bluntly, it ran like a hairy goat in leg irons and was slower than a  wet week.  Worse still, it didn't want to be disabled or uninstalled so's I could get on with things.  Not even the official uninstaller wanted to shift it, often returning the message that I didn't have the required permissions  Anyway, after a time of messing around and getting nowhere fast, I searched for and found the answer in one of those tech problem solving forums.... which was to restart in Safe Mode and uninstall Norton using IOBit's uninstaller with deep cleaning to get all those nasty little leftovers.

Once I was rid of Norton there have been no real issues to speak of.... nor has there been any false positives wanting to shut down/eliminate legit installations, etc.  Nope, Norton is malware and will never again reside on any machine of mine.

July 9, 2015 2:24:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good luck finding an AV that doesn't throw up fp's.Thankfully using the "add to exclusion" option works wonders.It's when they start quarantining windows system files that things start to get hairy..lol..

July 9, 2015 7:19:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Oh, yes.  Norton is the WORLD'S BEST AV Software.... provided the criterion is how well it succeeds with FALSE POSITIVES.
Norton cannot get its act together to NOT interfere-with-legitimate-software-TOO-DAMN-OFTEN.

I will proceed by asking you if this is directed at me?! 

As i mentioned if you trust it run it with admin privileges and your fine how hard can that be?
2006 version was a mess like I did mentioned before, but Norton AV is currently very close to BD, it sometimes doesn’t catch as much low range stuff but it’s pretty equal when it comes to destructive "let’s call them things" to keep it simple, however they managed to find truly potential spyware before BD guess that means they are not as bad then?
Thankfully the www is filled with alternatives. 

Who said it’s the best? I didn't.

I guess it’s what you define as best... for me a good AV updates and keeps track of the new 3-4 daily destructive viruses and updates accordingly.
SO far both do a pretty good job doing so.

If the stuff that you program only reaches a small audience its not uncommon to be blocked by user reputation not only by Norton, thinking a bit further it should make sense since not everyone is a power user, for me it makes perfect sense it serves one purpose - to protect.

Legitimate? You mean as receiving fraud shit from foxacid/quantum servers back then?
Ok…

July 9, 2015 7:32:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting benmanns,

I guess it’s what you define as best...

It's the best at false positives.

However that's not a good 'quality' to be best at.  It's like being No.1 on a 'most wanted' list.

Actually stopping the bad shit whilst not impacting on the good....that's what would qualify an AV as desirable.

In all the years of using Kaspersky [ever since the first release of Win 7] I have only encountered one false pos..... an installer of an old proggy called 'Sonique'...one of the many skinnables I used to skin for.

Norton on the other hand actually [permanently] disabled BITS.... and just to be absolutely clear....uninstalling Norton wasn't actually a fix.  That did nothing [other than preventing the program from further screwing with an Operating System]....

July 9, 2015 9:05:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Oh, yes. Norton is the WORLD'S BEST AV Software.... provided the criterion is how well it succeeds with FALSE POSITIVES.
The really enjoyable part of this equation is how cleverly it can slander and malign another's reputable software...
WITH SEEMING IMPUNITY.

Norton, AND Avast both flag my gadgets as malware, effectively blocking them. Adding it to the ignore/allowed list helps not. It okays THAT gadget, but the next one I build gets blocked.

PITA!!

July 9, 2015 10:50:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

eh having or not having an antivirus.like I was saying Microsoft comes with bitsdefender windows defender the malware protection update and etc.it usually does its job.ive had some things ppop up on using what Microsoft gives me and I choose to allow it or not.most the time its bs though but eh.perhaps some need the extra crap but I do not.then again I know what sites to stay away from and use adblocker so no spam bs ever gets installed.like I said I rarely have an issue.my computers never lag crash break down.prolly helps that I got a router and a modem both with firewalls on as well.who knows lol

ive used a lot of antivirus programs in the past before and I found that most,apart from maybe kapersky and eset are crap.

one computer lifespan for me can last up to 10-15 years if it wanted to without hiccups.

I just go by my experience.then again it all depends what you do and where you go on your computer.

July 10, 2015 12:47:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting juggalofrost1,

then again it all depends what you do and where you go on your computer

This is really the bottom line folks.  We have to pay attention when using our computers.  What's that popular quote "You can't fix stupid". 

July 10, 2015 1:20:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

What's that popular quote "You can't fix stupid".

You can.... but it's terminal.

The thing about being smart and avoiding so-called 'bad' sites, is that it doesn't always ring true.  I have a couple of nephews who frequent pr0n sites regularly and who very rarely get infected, yet I have a nephew who frequents music sites to research stuff [sheet music/recording tools, etc] and he is often infected with various nasties and has an inbox full of spam riddled with spyware, etc.  Yeah, go figure!   The pervert nephews are less trouble when it comes to fixing their PCs.

July 10, 2015 3:59:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting benmanns,

I guess it’s what you define as best...

It's the best at false positives.

However that's not a good 'quality' to be best at.  It's like being No.1 on a 'most wanted' list.

Actually stopping the bad shit whilst not impacting on the good....that's what would qualify an AV as desirable.

In all the years of using Kaspersky [ever since the first release of Win 7] I have only encountered one false pos..... an installer of an old proggy called 'Sonique'...one of the many skinnables I used to skin for.

Norton on the other hand actually [permanently] disabled BITS.... and just to be absolutely clear....uninstalling Norton wasn't actually a fix.  That did nothing [other than preventing the program from further screwing with an Operating System]....

Well Jafo, what version of Norton was that? what package what year? 
You cant compare rotten tomatoes with freshly picked ones.

July 10, 2015 8:51:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

Well Jafo, what version of Norton was that? what package what year? You cant compare rotten tomatoes with freshly picked ones.

If you hate tomatoes then their ancestry is irrelevant.

It was back around 2004.

Since then Norton improved...which is only fair...it could NOT get worse.

Bottom line...I am no sucker...once bitten and it's F U, arsehole...direct me to anything else....

I only ever had any remote interest in Norton as I remembered a time before Symantec ...when Windows was an absurd dream and the world was Dos.

Sadly 'wot's in a name' is merely a phrase from 'The Sentimental Bloke' and definitely not a recommendation for reputation and performance.

July 10, 2015 10:14:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seems not all proggies work for all people. I have to agree with Jafo, in the five or so years I've been into this I have had nothing but headaches with Norton which is why I lean towards the freebies I've used. AVG seems to be the best of the lot IMO and it didn't miss the PUPS that Norton did.

July 10, 2015 1:20:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting benmanns,

If you hate tomatoes then their ancestry is irrelevant.

It was back around 2004.
Bottom line...I am no sucker...once bitten and it's F U, arsehole...direct me to anything else....

1.  OK
2. Agree it was around that time Norton shit the bed, i stopped using Norton after i bought the retail of 2006 Norton Internet Security, it was slowing the crap out of my rig (again Internet Security Suite not AV)
But once i switched to win8 i tried them once more i believe it was the 2013-2014 version and it was/is good.
Need to mention that im not using the Internet Security Suite.
3. Well i can understand that. My Norton sub is running out and im thinking about giving "Fsecure" a shot not because i dont like Norton only because i can have it on multiple devices.
If you guys like, i will record the uninstall process once my subscription ends, im sure there is no removal tool needed anymore to remove it.

July 10, 2015 3:26:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

im sure there is no removal tool needed anymore to remove it.

After you do that, go through your registry, manually, and see how much is left behind. Hell, even after running their tool, there is still some Norton/Symantec stuff left in the registry. The fact that a tool is even needed turns me off to it.

July 10, 2015 5:02:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting benmanns,

im sure there is no removal tool needed anymore to remove it.

After you do that, go through your registry, manually, and see how much is left behind. Hell, even after running their tool, there is still some Norton/Symantec stuff left in the registry. The fact that a tool is even needed turns me off to it.

Yeah, I feel the same.  A special tool should NOT be necessary to remove a program.... and if one is it sends up a red flag not to install that program.  As for Norton crap being left in the registry, I found that when I got rid of NIS on my laptop..  However, I didn't have to spend too long wheedling it out.  Ccleaner got rid of some, and Advanced System Care pretty much got rid of the rest, leaving just a couple to manually move. 

After doing an 'Everything' search I also found left over files in the Windows folder under System 32, System and SysWOW64.  Oh and in Program Files, Program Data and Common Files as well.  Yup, when Norton gets its hooks in it don't mess around none...it plants files fechen everywhere.

For mine, it should be illegal/classified under malware.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.