Stardock - could forum experience be improved for uncool people like me?

By on June 3, 2015 12:35:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

GalCivius

Join Date 11/2010
+6

"Uncool" as in: I'm not sitting on a monitor as big as a Star Wars Death Star.

This means:

1. Forum font size is rather small for me, so not that well readable (esp. if it bigger chunks of text).

Oh, wait, just use Ctrl + in Firefox to make everything bigger. Yup works, but can make forum pages wider than my display - so not that well readable again, as I have to scroll back and forth.

2. The real cool people have biiiiiig displays. I know for sure because in various threads I see regularly pics that mess up the display for me, because they're so huge.

Without changing anything to the worse for people that can live well with the current setup - could there something be done for people using smaller displays? Afaik, those forums make it possible to offer several styles which can be chosen by the visitors in the control panel.

So would it be possible to offer something that gives better readabiltiy, and limits pics in a post to a smaller size (ideally with the option to view full size in a separate tab or window).

That would make me really happy

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 3, 2015 12:45:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Big is not always better. I sold my desktop and I am now using a laptop with 1366x768 display. I am so depressed now because I just discovered that I am not cool.

June 3, 2015 12:52:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They were talking about doing a new site for WinCustomize quite a while back (and it's really needed), but nothing ever came of it unfortunately. 

June 3, 2015 1:04:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I just did an experiment with my tiny monitor. In Firefox, go to Options, then Content, then Advanced.

Set the font sizes to be bigger. Probably around 20 for the proportional setting and 18 for the monospace and minimum settings.  Then uncheck the little box that lets websites set their own fonts.

The change is immediate, so you can switch back and forth between the tabs until it looks good for you.  

It won't mess with the rest of the page, so the edges stay where they should.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 3, 2015 1:04:44 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I agree I would also like to see a site for windows phones and tablets.

June 3, 2015 1:13:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

Big is not always better. I sold my desktop and I am now using a laptop with 1366x768 display. I am so depressed now because I just discovered that I am not cool.

Ken, trust me, you're very cool!  

June 3, 2015 1:19:49 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I got to say Ken I don't know you to judge how cool you are. All I can tell you is a computer does not make you cool. It's. When you shine with cheap hardware and free programs.

June 3, 2015 1:32:25 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,

I just did an experiment with my tiny monitor. In Firefox, go to Options, then Content, then Advanced.

Set the font sizes to be bigger. Probably around 20 for the proportional setting and 18 for the monospace and minimum settings.  Then uncheck the little box that lets websites set their own fonts.

The change is immediate, so you can switch back and forth between the tabs until it looks good for you.  

It won't mess with the rest of the page, so the edges stay where they should.

Thx, it makes stuff bigger indeed - though with deactivated "use own font" option it does so for all webpages. Those that were just fine (which is for me, most other sites) before can be way bigger then.

June 3, 2015 1:55:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Should I have used a sarcasm emoticon? I could not care less about being cool at my age, those days have come and gone. Back on topic though it can be frustrating at times when people design things with only themselves in mind or those that might have the screen real estate that they have. I have noticed a lot of different skins using small fonts. It bugs me personally because not only do I have a small resolution screen but my eyes are getting bad. I don't know what the solution should be seeing how you can't always make everything different sizes. That is another reason why I am becoming an xwidget promoter. The designer at least thought to make widgets resizable and when you skin xwidget you can make your widgets whatever size you want, even full screen which can then be reduced in various sizes by a click of the mouse.

June 3, 2015 5:17:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm REALLY cool....

In fact it's the coldest start to winter here in 66 years....currently 5c....going to make it to 10 maybe.

For this part of the world that's about as cool as it gets...

June 3, 2015 5:27:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I'm REALLY cool

I'm glad I always believe what I read.

June 3, 2015 6:25:48 PM from Ashes of the Singularity Forums Ashes of the Singularity Forums

Short answer: Those and many more suggestions are already in process.

Especially regarding fonts.

June 3, 2015 6:44:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

June 3, 2015 8:04:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Especially regarding fonts
  ... had to read it twice...thought it said "farts" !!  

June 3, 2015 8:21:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

tbc...mistaking those two is the first ophthalmologic sign of being an old...well, you know.

June 3, 2015 8:27:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

tbc...mistaking those two is the first ophthalmologic sign of being an old...well, you know.
  ....  hehehe, duly noted!   

June 3, 2015 9:35:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

one nice thing about being an "Old Fart" is that you can get away with letting one loose occasionally because ...well...people expect it. Therefore , I'm feelin' guilt free.....

June 4, 2015 4:55:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

try the "reader view" in firefox? (38.0.5 or later)

June 4, 2015 6:06:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Woohoo! Thx a bunch

June 4, 2015 10:18:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting admiralWillyWilber,

I got to say Ken I don't know you to judge how cool you are.

you only need to check out his screenies to know how cool he is... 

Quoting Jafo,

In fact it's the coldest start to winter here in 66 years....currently 5c....going to make it to 10 maybe.

nippy up here too..we had a 6C with a windchill of 4C...  even Brisbane got a cold snap...  

Quoting teddybearcholla,

... had to read it twice...thought it said "farts" !!

someone needs a larger font... 

June 4, 2015 12:08:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Global warming finally reaches Jafo-land.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.