DesktopX

By on May 25, 2015 4:37:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ofuroinu

Join Date 02/2015

Hi friends

I am deskscape user here and was unable to find DesktopX is this not continue any more?

Which is the alternative to this?

Please guide me thanks

Ken

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 25, 2015 11:45:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Unless you have it already you are out of luck. Stardock shelved it. 

May 25, 2015 11:53:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DesktopX and Deskcapes are two different applications. www.stardock.com/products.

I think that's right.

May 25, 2015 1:24:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

xWidget is a great alternative. I even feel that it should have it's own gallery here just like they did for rainmeter a while back. xWidget is also easy to skin once you spend a little time with it. I learnt to skin it so it can't be that hard. There are hundreds of skins with more being added daily. You can find many xWidgets on the deviantart site which I am not fond of promoting but if you want xWidgets that is the place to go. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 25, 2015 5:59:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ken, TELL STARDOCK!!! You want DesktopX. I want DX to carry on as do many other people. Stardock dropped a fine app. Let  them know you want it!

May 25, 2015 10:57:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Ken, TELL STARDOCK!!! You want DesktopX. I want DX to carry on as do many other people. Stardock dropped a fine app. Let  them know you want it!

Have you ever used xwidget? I don't think Stardock should have dropped an app that many people like but if you want my honest opinion I have used both DesktopX and xWidget and xWidget is a much better program. I don't see anything that xWidget cannot do that DX did. It is an easy to load and use program. I will even go out on a limb and say that if Jim learnt how to skin it which would only take him a day or two, he would like it better than DX. People like what they have used a long time and have got use to but it does not mean it is better than something else. That being said if people want DX it should still be available.

May 26, 2015 12:34:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi friends

I never tried DesktopX but found alot of nice themes . I am always interested to try something new. If new themes exist why not DX?

Regret I cant put my hands on DX . Will try out the Xwidget as well. Currently on trial using winstep extreme but not fully customize as windowsblinds so I guess need to combine both to bring out the result.

May 26, 2015 3:03:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

xWidget is a much better program

As unstable as DX was I can believe that without even looking..

On the flipside, I find it VERY disturbing that a software vendor's means of distribution from their own website is a OneDrive location.

May 26, 2015 3:17:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

xWidget is a much better program

As unstable as DX was I can believe that without even looking..

On the flipside, I find it VERY disturbing that a software vendor's means of distribution from their own website is a OneDrive location.

There is not a thing to worry about Phoon. The software is as safe as anything you will find on this site and xwidget is not the only software that can be downloaded on OneDrive. A lot more people are using it. xwidget has its own web site, they just chose to use OneDrive instead of other file hosting sites.

May 26, 2015 3:38:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I did grab it and install it JuniorCrooks. Gonna kick the tires a tad. . . 

May 26, 2015 5:01:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

I don't see anything that xWidget cannot do that DX did.

Well, I hope XWidget can allow me to create full themes, not just widgets. I'd want a full theme, including start menu replacement, etc., like I did with DX.

Truth is, I may have lost the skinning itch even if Stardock hadn't retired DX. There are other reasons why I lost interest.

For me, the lack of enthusiasm is due to a combination of losing DX (or rather, loss of new DX users.), Windows is evolving, not as fun to skin anymore, and things at WC just ain't what they used to be.

Not only have I not been skinning, I don't even use DX much anymore.I have XWidget, but I don't use it.

I do use Winstep some.

May 26, 2015 5:03:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

I will even go out on a limb and say that if Jim learnt how to skin it which would only take him a day or two, he would like it better than DX.

Let's not go crazy...lol. We'll see...........

May 26, 2015 8:44:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can do full themes Jim. Only one person has done one but it can be done. Check it out.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Access-Windows-Pseudoskin-3D-for-xwidget-533190032

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Access-Sidebar-3D-for-xwidget-533189743

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Access-Bar-3D-for-xwidget-533189299

http://www.deviantart.com/art/3D-Metal-Widgets-Pack-for-xwidget-533189023

May 26, 2015 9:36:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.