Poor fishy is hiding

By on March 30, 2015 1:38:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LizMarr

Join Date 05/2006
+46

So, it goes like this, I'm poking around and organizing every Stardock file and assorted customizations (most somebody else's) into one directory on the portable backup drive. There are files here probably 10 years old or more. As I snoop through I find Fishy, and his buddy Kumanomi. Much delighted and run them. No Fishy, no Kuma, just the two Aquarium fish that swim about all the time.  They are there in the tray, their menus seem to work right, but no Fishy and Kuma are swimming past.

My setup is the same laptop I have always had. Currently it is using only the external monitor. It is running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I even tried installing DesktopX. The widget that comes with that works like a widget should, as does a Christmas one I accidentally clicked on and then couldn't figure out how to close it. I have considered to try it on my Windows 8 x64 Pro machine, but it is in the process of loading the tech preview of 10 Pro, and since I been practicing doing everything I could do wrong on a Windows install and now 36 hours later it seems to be working I am not going to mess with it.

I figure poor Fishy and Kuma are doomed to the "old software" directory, but I though I would ask the Stardock gods and goddesses first. Now that I found them, I really do miss them.

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 30, 2015 3:27:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They might just be swimming "offscreen".

Close all you widgets then try clearing the DTX widget cache (deleting the files contained in) C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Local Settings\Application Data\Stardock\DesktopX\WidgetCache\ or whatever the Win7 equivalent is.

That will reset all of your widgets though and you'll have to re-enter any specific settings on them.  If you can pick out just the subdirectory in there for the fish and delete it that should avoid resetting everything else.

Edit: Guess they could be gadgets instead of widgets, in which case you'd want to clear the "GadgetCache" directory instead of "WidgetCache".

March 30, 2015 6:00:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

THAT WORKED! I found the cache (C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Stardock\DesktopX\WidgetCache) Deleted the Fishy and Kuma caches and they worked. At least for a while anyway. I got things in that cache folder dated 2012.

March 30, 2015 6:59:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ya if you've changed monitor arrangements since the last time you've played with DTX much you'll probably run into it again on other widgets and gadgets.  If it gets to be too much trouble you can just delete the entire cache, it will rebuild itself.  Again though, you'll lose any placements and user options you've put into them.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 30, 2015 9:13:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Way To Go Dave!!!!

March 30, 2015 10:09:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ya I've knocked a few things off the graphics map 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.