Windows 8 and delayed run of Stardock programs.

By on March 4, 2015 3:01:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jorgensen

Join Date 01/2008
+1

In Windows 8 ObjectDock, Fences etc. are by default delayed to show up, and with a SSD drive it is unacceptable to wait several seconds for the desktop icons and ObjectDock to shows up.

The delay for startup applications can be disabled in the registry to have ObjectDock etc. to show up asp - link.

Why are Stardock not aware of this?

Locked Post 9 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2015 3:15:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

tried this and works

March 4, 2015 5:02:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

unacceptable to wait several seconds

March 4, 2015 5:12:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never minded the wait not in a rush just thought I would give it a go as just run a back up onto portable drive.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 4, 2015 5:36:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

10 seconds is a long wait for ObjectDock to turn up as well as Fences shows icons on the Desktop, after the desktop is fully shown!

You just sit waiting for the Stardock applications to turn up, before you can do anything - was close to abandon the Stardock applications before the fix!

March 4, 2015 9:24:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Microsoft wants to delay third party apps from interfering with the startup sequence to seemingly indicate a faster boot.

That doesn't help shell enhancement apps such as Stardock's [and any/all others] as they demonstrate the ruse perpetrated by MS quite obviously.

Altering the registry to reduce/negate the delay is not ideal [or probably even recommended by MS] so I expect GUI devs will want to honour MS's load sequence and set their apps to initialize when MS wants them to...

Personally I see no issue with the 'delay' as actual load time [of the complete OS kernel/GUI] is no different [only the perception there-of].  A few seconds delay before clickable icons on a desktop isn't anywhere near what the MS update sequence does to a shutdown AND a reboot...

March 5, 2015 2:27:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Altering the registry to reduce/negate the delay is not ideal [or probably even recommended by MS] so I expect GUI devs will want to honour MS's load sequence and set their apps to initialize when MS wants them to...

For mine, MS 'wants' too much and thus interferes too frequently with the wants and needs of end users.  I hate that program related items go by default to Public the Documents folder.  I'd rather they went elsewhere, preferably to a different drive to save clutter on the OS drive/partition, but no, MS has to have its way.  I have a name for companies/people who behave this way - essentially bullying others to get their own way - but sadly I can't use it here.

Anyway, while my big beasties don't need it, both boot fully in around 6 seconds after adjustments, I will certainly avail myself of the fix for my lappy-come-tablet, which has far fewer BIOS and other adjustments, and bugger MS if they don't like it.

March 11, 2015 1:53:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Start 8 is installed as a service to have instant access, which should be an option for ObjectDock.

March 11, 2015 9:07:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As other users have stated, Windows is still booting. Windows 8 especially is guilty of showing you the desktop before everything is fully loaded. These are working as intended.

March 11, 2015 12:08:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wrote about the delay before and mentioned it couple of times
the delay is used to make sure that all the modern apps are fully loaded once the users enters windows since normally the user ends up on the start page.
The delay also benefits older hardware.

Removing the delay.
Well i removed it in the first or second month after windows8 was released.

The thing is once you see the desktop windows8 is operational only your 3rd party applications need to be loaded - its the same as in windows7
There is no magic involved....
Microsoft is tricking it´s users since Windows95, that their system is fully loaded and operational with a desktop screen.
Is windows8 worse than its predecessor? NO, they both do the same thing only one boots a little faster ^_~.

You will even notice the delay if you do use a extreme volume with huge writing/reading capability’s. Be it on 7 or 8.

However once the delay is set to 1ms you won’t notice it, that is unless you have an external drive with programs or shortcuts to fences plugged in that needs a little more time.
You will then face the legendary explorer “restart” or wait a couple of seconds longer than normal.

Like it has been said, it would be wiser to load up all apps in autostart before showing the desktop, that way people would not get the impression of a fully loaded system. But honestly people should be used to it meanwhile and know that the apps are still loading it has been this way for ages.
However i do not blame MS since once you see your desk it is (Windows is) operational.

You currently have the chance to change this just become an insider and tell them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.