My thoughts on skinning in 2015 and beyond

By on February 27, 2015 4:29:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

2of3

Join Date 10/2006
+653

I had a passion for skinning at one time. So much so that it sometimes interfered with family life.

What has changed? It's very simple: Windows 8.

I know that programs like modern mix and start 8 make w8 seem almost like w7, but that's just it......almost, but not quite. Windows 7 was just perfect for a skinner! Just as skinnable as XP IMHO.

I feel very uninspired to skin for windows 8 because of the many hard coded fugly white areas that just stick out like a zit on a super model's face! I am a perfectionist to a fault (just ask anyone who knows me well) and these unskinned areas just piss me off and make any skin look half finished.

So for me, skinning is over.

I very much doubt that Windows 10 will be any better. If I know MS, they will do everything possible to make it harder and harder to completely skin the OS.

Wake me up when we can skin everything and I'll be there.

Locked Post 34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2015 4:36:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had a passion for skinning at one time. So much so that it sometimes interfered with family life

I too had a passion for skinning a long time ago. Just so much that it killed my family life - and a subsequent divorce.......

February 28, 2015 6:30:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

Quoting LightStar,

nstalling and configuring "OldNewExplorer" like Andy mentioned, makes Windows 8/8.1 look and function almost exactly like Windows 7. If you put 7 and 8 side-by-side, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Dunno.....looks like a reg hack to me.

it patches explorer.exe in memory.

just as UxStyle patches uxtheme.dll in memory.

i wouldn't be surprised if WindowBlinds does something similar or the same for skinning shellstyle.dll related elements.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 28, 2015 8:17:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,

i wouldn't be surprised if WindowBlinds does something similar or the same for skinning shellstyle.dll related elements.

Are you serious?? Never have Stardock software use this method to implement,but add its own engine/service to render functionality. 

February 28, 2015 8:32:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

If you put 7 and 8 side-by-side, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.
I could. There would still be several big differences. Both under the hood, and on the outside as well. Some obvious, some not so much.

But if I want 7, I'll run 7. No real point in trying to turn 8 into 7.  YMMV.

February 28, 2015 8:35:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

Quoting LightStar,

nstalling and configuring "OldNewExplorer" like Andy mentioned, makes Windows 8/8.1 look and function almost exactly like Windows 7. If you put 7 and 8 side-by-side, I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

Dunno.....looks like a reg hack to me.

Dunno about reg hack, but I have used Old New Explorer. It's fine, but I like the options available using the ribbon that Windows 8.1 provides, so I don't use O.N.E.

February 28, 2015 8:46:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

But if I want 7, I'll run 7. No real point in trying to turn 8 into 7.  YMMV.

+100 Jim for being someone with a clue!!! BRAVO!!

February 28, 2015 9:22:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 28, 2015 9:32:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's a matter of taste I guess

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.