I removed it all..

By on November 30, 2014 12:42:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

benmanns

Join Date 12/2005
+89

I thought long about opening a topic like this...

I had been a Fan of the Products provided from Stardock to enhance my visual experience on Windows.
Sadly I can no longer enjoy it as I did once.

I stumbled upon things that are so annoying and frustrating to me to deal with and even though i told you about these problems nothing seems to be done to solve the mystery.

I know once windows8 hit the market everyone was complaining about how much clicks it took to restart the system.
Now I have to complain about having to restart my system after applying a Windowblinds skin to see my start8 font.
Not only once, I have to do it each time I change a skin. But there is more...

Start8 still does not support live tiles nor does it support Windowblinds animations the topic i once opened was left unanswered.
Only 2of3 joined and said it would be nice to have animations on start8.
Looks like people are far from interested about such a feature, maybe that is the reason you don’t change it.

I think having animations would be a nice bonus and it would benefit not only skinners on win8 to have a look at skins without having to download and set up a VM, it would also be a nice addition to the list of functions for start8 and of course the normal end user. 

Maybe then I would invest my time to make some more skins, currently I would rather punch my PC from the table each time I have to restart my PC as soons as I apply a skin from Skinstudio.

+

People might consider buying the whole OD pack if they know Start8 will have sweeet animations on it if they also run Windowblinds and a skin that offers animations.
I’m just pointing this out so something might be done for once, since there is the chance for cash to be made.
All I experienced over some years using the products is that if there is no cash made things will be on the bottom line of the list.
Like good old Iconpackager that STILL can NOT handle live folders on win8 correctly. 

But I have to admit that I think with so many free solutions out there, that are also pretty damn good, especially in the the startmenu section, I think SD should consider adding support for animations and well beyond that, what I mean is live tile support for example like displayed on windows10.

I’m still loyal to SD products simply because I appreciated the time using them on windows7 and because of the nice good people on WC that are helpful if you run into problems.
But as customer I think I have to speak up and point my frustration out finally, I try to stay polite here and hope something will be done.

I don’t want to complain but I took three steps back of extending my sub until there is windows10 on the market, mainly because I encountered problems on my machine using my OD.
With several programs in the list.. as well as Start8 in combination of Windowblinds.
Things like rebooting the system to have text visible for the applications after applying a skin.
Windowblinds crashes and freezes, Display driver crashing locking up the cursor afterwards forcing me to restart. 

Fences not responding crashing. No seperate handling off drives and programs located on those causing a slow desktop boot.
There is more IP - live folders, DECOR font problems, Deskscapes...

Meanwhile my subscription is running for another year

Object Desktop Subscription - Expires in 371 days

not even using any application of my OD currently.
Not one, my system is back to its normal speed no freezes no bugs no disappearing windowframes (captions) and I’m thinking, should I ask you guys if it is possible to give my running subscription to someone since I’m not using it.
That is a serious question^

Sorry about this post but things have been working better in the past as they do now.
I totally lost my motivation to skinning anything because of the constant bugs and problems I’m facing surely it has been a while since I uploaded anything but I do requests that’s more fun than uploading and going through moderation.
I simply don’t care anymore like I used to about uploads ratings and all that all I want is to have fun and the way things work for me currently the fun is on the low end like IP.

But that is a different Story, today I opened this topic from the view point of a customer.
I tried not to be offensive in any way here since I know that you guys don’t like it and neither do I but if you find something that was too harsh I’m sorry but I’m not so happy either r and my English doesn’t allow me to write this in a different manner currently. So don‘t be too defensive and offended by it. 

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 30, 2014 1:50:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK...you want animations that aren't a current feature. I don't use W8/8.1, and I don't know if it's a feature that's even possible with the OS. The fact that none of the other free software has those features makes me suspect it isn't, but I could be wrong. It's a good suggestion, mind you...I just don't know if it's possible.

As for the uploading? What are the "constant bugs and problems" you're facing? Have you written to Support, or to Jafo?

How about you add a detailed list of the problems you're talking about at the end of your OP (just edit it)? Don't define a feature you'd like but isn't in the software as a "problem". As for the rebooting business, I'd be interested to hear if other members with Start8 are experiencing the same problems, or if it's only you...could be something wrong with how it's installed, or where it's installed...I don't know.

I do know that Support wants to know, and help.

I also understand that you're frustrated - but just chucking it all and walking away won't help anyone at all. 

November 30, 2014 5:47:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've had some frustrations with SD apps over the years, but when it comes to a skinned UI or naked windows, the choice is obvious.  I'd rather have it skinned than not, despite something not working properly.  For the most part I've been happy and have enjoyed creating custom desktops with the apps and various skins, but IconPackager has been in need of some much needed love for some time now, and yes, sometimes I have been frustrated that 'Live Folders' don't work properly on Win8.1 x64.  Also, I'd dearly love it if desktop shortcuts were included in IP, where users can nominate the shortcut and apply a custom icon of their own choosing.

Having said that, whatever failings or shortcomings there may be with some of the apps, the alternative is not worth contemplating... and before anybody says it's what I get for going with Win 8, I've disliked the Windows GUI since Win 95 - Win 98 right through XP Vista and Win 7.  They've either been plain boring and/or uninteresting, or damned butt ugly [read XP], so I've always dressed Windows up to suit my tastes, using various apps from various publishers.  At the end of the day, however, while other vendors apps filled a need, the only ones I've retained/kept up my subs for have been those from Stardock and Winstep.

So, to sum it all up, the alternative [a naked GUI] could cause nightmares and a sedative dependency, so don't toss out your SD proggies jut yet, orright?  You may have frustrations over apps not behaving as you'd like, but you don't wanna end up in a strait jacket because 'naked' Windows sent you insane.  No, we don't want that, so please stick around with your SD apps and keep the rest of us nut jobs company, okay!

November 30, 2014 7:35:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Functions of start8 & compatibility list in link,it only supports fx5 no mention of windowblinds,which makes sense as it's a separate program,it would take a programmer to answer what issues/conflicts there would be for wb to skin while using start8 me thinks butting heads.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/index.asp#features

I recall pre vista being released that ms were going to effect changes to make skinning less friendly i see whatever they implemented has come to pass if your post is anything to go by,it was mentioned in an article here at sd

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 30, 2014 8:49:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://goo.gl/fT0yoH ,the last comment from the programmer. 

November 30, 2014 10:47:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As a general rule ANY software and computer related problem can be solved by going from Windows 8.x to Windows 7. As easy as that...

December 1, 2014 1:39:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cdexholm,

As a general rule ANY software and computer related problem can be solved by going from Windows 8.x to Windows 7. As easy as that...

If that had just a half ounce of truth I'd switch back yesterday... but most of my PC related issues were solved by going to Win 8

Okay so not everybody likes it, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

December 1, 2014 6:11:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I will repeat my answer from before.  In general WindowBlinds start menu and button animations work fine with Start8 in use.  There are a few skins which may use even more complex animations that may not work right but they are exceptionally rare.  I also feel it is highly unlikely any improvement in animation support would make the slightest difference to sales of Start8.

Regarding the missing font on Start8 when switching to a WB skin, this should only be the case when switching from the OS Default theme to a WB skin.  Once you are using a WB skin it should work just fine regardless of switching WB skin.

I am unsure what your font issue you mention with Decor8 is as you have provided no details so I cannot comment on that.  If you provide more information I can look into it for you.

Generally speaking if your display driver is crashing you need to contact the manufacturer of that as that would indicate a serious software or hardware fault.

Start8 does not support live tiles because customers wanted Start8 to provide the Windows 7 look on Windows 8 which is exactly what it does.

December 1, 2014 6:24:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To the uploading part Doc. No bugs here to be honest the constant bugs were more directed to the problems with the applications itself uploading works fine.
Uploading: What I experienced was, that even though the marker was set to show on PP only, it would wind up on the gallery vice versa sometimes.
SO there is extra work involved sending an email PM back and forth while it is easier to make a skin and send it to the person that requested it.

A list of Problems I faced with OD applications (Windows8.1x64 SB+WMC)
Windowblinds:
Whenever applying a skin the windowframe Top part or Captions will be missing you have to close all open windows to fix the problem
On chrome you will have 1-2 Pixels gap in-between windowframe-left and right and the actually window of chrome.
Whenever applying a skin while using start8 a restart has to be made because program list and places list will have no font assigned.

Start8:
Problem ^when using windowblinds and applying a skin applications will have no font.

Decor8:
Problems with text color and background color, causing the charmsbar to have a different color set up (for me it was plain black) I wrote a ticket about this issue and even contacted live support IRC I think.

Icon packager: Live folders- does destroy the visual experience if you have nice folders from a theme set up and then an ugly unskinned live folder in the middle. Please finally update it.

Fences: Slows up the boot process- simply because fences is waiting for each drive to respond before it will show up in this process windows explorer is crashed in order to finally let fences show up.
I wrote a pretty long text about this issue and even tested it "properly" at campus.
Fences cannot separate those things that are already loaded. For example i set up a fence only including files from drive C: 
In the campus tested case that was a supertalent RDII _ Fences is loaded the second i see the desktop- in fact everything is loaded.
As soon as we add another fence (even a separate one that only holds some files of an external drive), note at this point 2 fences are set up one with only files from C: and one with external files D:, be it an USB3.0 drive Fences will restart the explorer or require the legendary right click to load that also restarts the explorer.
The Problem here is that I have to wait longer or more to actually start using my system than without fences.
Without fences the system is directly usable in a matter that I can see my icons that are placed on the desktop, I can click those directly without having to wait for fences recognizing the slower drive to finally show the fences with my C: applications on it.
IT should handle those files separately. And this is no bug it is a problem especially if you read 2-3GB/s.

Deskscapes:
I only encountered smaller problems- while playing a demanding game fences is normally paused.
Had a crash once and after ending a game session I only had a black Deskscape screen, I’m not sure if it was the codec that had problems.

I have to say all of these do not seem like a big deal but for a person that barely restarts his system unless there are updates it is.
To revert my System to Windows7 is not an option, I enjoy Windows8 way too much despite the Problems that I’m facing, and I’m a windows8 guy and will become a Windows10 guy once it is out.

Alright i will add more this evening if i find the time have to get back to class.
cya 

December 1, 2014 6:58:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

Start8:
Problem ^when using windowblinds and applying a skin applications will have no font.

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Regarding the missing font on Start8 when switching to a WB skin, this should only be the case when switching from the OS Default theme to a WB skin.  Once you are using a WB skin it should work just fine regardless of switching WB skin.

December 1, 2014 7:13:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting benmanns,

Start8:

Quoting Neil Banfield,

sadly that is not the case for me when ever i switch a skin start 8 will not have a font.
Be it via windowblinds or skinstudio itself  

December 1, 2014 9:22:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Then you should write to Support...

January 26, 2015 8:38:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am going to have to agree with bemanns...

WB right now is breaking to many of my programs.. All my browsers are messed up, my pdf viewer, nothing is lining up correctly. I would even be ok if I could actually get WB to exclude the programs I ask it to ignore, but it won't even do that for me. This is a fresh install less than 2 weeks and I am so frustrated I am now not loading WB. The only thing I am still using is IconPackager and Fences. I know it would be almost impossible to make WB work with every program ,but these are mainstream programs we all use. Hopefully I will check back in soon and a new update will have happened and corrected some of these occurrences. For the meantime I guess it is plain jane Windows or look for an alternative that works.

I have used OD for years, I love the products, but my subscription is up for renewal in just a few days and I am not so sure I am going to renew again.

January 26, 2015 11:01:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Quoting cdexholm,

If that had just a half ounce of truth I'd switch back yesterday... but most of my PC related issues were solved by going to Win 8

Okay so not everybody likes it, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I concur.                   H8rz will be h8rz.  

January 27, 2015 8:28:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Grumbleskin,

WB right now is breaking to many of my programs.. All my browsers are messed up, my pdf viewer, nothing is lining up correctly. I would even be ok if I could actually get WB to exclude the programs I ask it to ignore, but it won't even do that for me. This is a fresh install less than 2 weeks and I am so frustrated I am now not loading WB. The only thing I am still using is IconPackager and Fences. I know it would be almost impossible to make WB work with every program ,but these are mainstream programs we all use. Hopefully I will check back in soon and a new update will have happened and corrected some of these occurrences. For the meantime I guess it is plain jane Windows or look for an alternative that works.

I would suggest writing in to support with details about your issues and letting us know which apps specifically are giving issues.  

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.