WindowBlinds and Windows 10

By on October 2, 2014 2:08:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mark Phelps

Join Date 01/2003
+9

Am very pleased to report that WindowBlinds works great with the Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Upgraded from Win8.1, rebooted, and WindowBlinds works fine -- no problems. 

I did have to uninstall both Start8 and ModernMix, but I expected it would come to that (in the short run)

UPDATE: Please NOTE: Windowsblinds does NOT work with the Released version of Win10!  As mentioned in numerous threads, if you force the install of Windowblinds on Win 10 now, you will have problems as a result.

66 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 1, 2015 8:45:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting NossieUK,

is there currently a simple theme that works with windows 10?

Did you not read my reply to your previous post (reply #43)?

August 1, 2015 9:21:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"If you utilized SkinStudio heavily while designing your custom skin for WindowBlinds, you may want to check out tutorials online about how to modify Windows theme files."

Would suggest the issue was as simple as changing the theme itself.  Oh it's not?  Well then.

August 1, 2015 9:44:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://forums.wincustomize.com/469524/page/1/

WindowBlinds is not yet compatible with Windows10.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 1, 2015 9:52:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting NossieUK,

"If you utilized SkinStudio heavily while designing your custom skin for WindowBlinds, you may want to check out tutorials online about how to modify Windows theme files."

Would suggest the issue was as simple as changing the theme itself.  Oh it's not?  Well then.

Really, because I'm certain I would have included that tidbit if it was the case, and considering i mentioned tutorials, one can infer its a bit complicated (thereby rendering what you just said moot and inapplicable).

August 2, 2015 1:05:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting NetBadger,

On July 30th, I installed the official release of Windows 10.  I made the mistake, that I expect many others made of quickly reading through the forums.  I saw some post about Windowblinds 8 working on Windows 10, and did not read the official Stardock section, saying that it didn't support it.  I had kept mt Object Desktop subscription, in force from its inception until last year.  This time around, I just bought Windowblinds 8 (newest version), and Windows Start Menu 10.  Which brings me to my two questions:

1. Officially, does Stardock have plans to make a version of Windowblinds, which is compatible with Windows 10?

2.  Will it be a free update to current subscribers of Windowblinds 8?

To those of you who don't speak "officially" for Stardock, feel free to voice your opinions, based on past policy.

1. Yes.

2. The existing policy for updates will most likely be applied...that is, for it to be 'free' will depend on how current/recent the existing purchase is.

Strangely, there are people 'out there' that claim any Windowblinds/Stardock software update for Win 10 should be FREE because Win 10 is a 'free update'.  Obviously such a statement is absurd - the 2 companies are entirely separate entities....

Thanks for such a quick and thorough reply Jafo,  In reference to item two, since I bought the subscription to Windowblinds 8.12 yesterday, would your advice be to request a refund, and purchase Windowblinds 10, when it is released?  I realize the mistake was mine for not reading the official release about compatibility, but the nice folks there are Stardock take pity on "slow" end users. 'specially them that's been loyal customers for over a decade <grin>.

August 2, 2015 6:24:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Will there be a "Skin Studio 10" for us skinners, and what updates will it have (I have addressed a few updates that are vital) ?

August 2, 2015 7:28:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If they are officially coming out with a Windowblinds 10, I feel confident they will have the companion program Skin Studio 10.

August 2, 2015 8:04:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting NetBadger,

If they are officially coming out with a Windowblinds 10, I feel confident they will have the companion program Skin Studio 10.

August 8, 2015 2:47:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

neone i love your work and id love to see what ideas/revamps you got on your mind for windowblinds 10 when it comes out

August 11, 2015 8:58:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting JW0914,

@Sosiosh

There's one small difference Start10 adds to the Win10 start menu, and I'll post back later what it is, that might make it more convenient for users.  You can still utilize the Win 10 start menu with start10, just select the option for the default win start menu on the main settings page.

• Start10/ slightly modifies the location layout of the options on the left hand side of the start menu, which makes it more convenient for users. 

I just switched to Start10. After a little time it became apparent the Windows 10 start menu was laking in search function as well as placement of applications. 

August 30, 2015 6:11:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Interesting... If you haven't already filed a ticket with Stardock, I would, as that's not normal. 

Just so you 're aware, it could also have nothing to do with Start10, so I'd recommend verifying your index by 1. checking if all indexing has completed or if it's still indexing, and 2. if indexing has finished and there's still a lag with results populating, I'd recommend re-indexing windows. 

• Re-indexing will take several hours to several days depending on how large your file system is and how large files that are indexed are. This includes Outlook pst and ost files, which take a significant amount of time to index.

Before indexing, if using a laptop, I would recommend shutting down the laptop, removing the power cord and battery, and holding down the power button for 30 seconds.  Once completed, boot the laptop back up and see if the lag is still there, and if so, try re-indexing.

August 30, 2015 10:46:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

why have a search function in start 10 when thats what cortana is?

win + s brings up cortana/search. you can even hide cortana and she still will work by right clicking taskbar and selecting cortana>hidden

if you use the windows 7 column layout it should include the search tab but if your using the default windows 10 look then cortana should be your choice.

start10 is useful and works well.i just dont see why this would be brought up as an issue.cortana is one of the most advanced searches weve ever had on our oses.why improve on something that isnt broke.

ps:i just relised this was in the windowblinds thread.this should be in the threads for start10 instead

September 1, 2015 6:27:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you have Windows10 installed and have not yet clicked on "the search windows and web bar" located on your taskbar.
You will be prompted with information about Cortana´s abilitys.

As long as you dont click anything and just ignore it Cortana will not crush your steel balls all day long, searching for useless crap.

You can then even use your old Windows8.x Keyboard shortcuts.
Like winkey+q to search for stuff on your computer. (I dont mind adjusting to winkey+s) but it is simply more convinient for me to push those buttons together)

Also using winkey+q would normaly activate the cortana voice input
If you have not clicked either No Thanks or continue in the box , one does not have to worry about it searching for the music playing in the background.
Cortana needs to be insanely improved otherwise they need to   it, like they did with the forced updates for Home users that they just recently got rid off.
A good choice so to say. Like always way to late, but that seems normaly meanwhile for MS.

October 8, 2015 5:52:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Waiting for a windowblinds 10 release as windowblinds I do not install under windows 10 I really hope stardock can do it missing my windowblinds so much the GUI on windows 10 is absolutely dull & boring also very hard to you read information just dumb! After you've used windowblinds you want it back so bad

October 8, 2015 7:08:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I will have to say that Start10 helps. It allows you to add texture/color/transparency to the taskbar. And the start menu.

Does nada for window frames, but it's a start..........get it?     Muahahaha...

October 8, 2015 8:58:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Does nada for window frames, but it's a start
Punny guy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.