The US government is spending $1 million to figure out memes

Hey! I can do that for them!

By on September 10, 2014 1:54:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Campaigner

Join Date 12/2004
+15

I hear a lot of crap about the current guy in power but this I didn't think they'd use money on.

"Indiana University is receiving nearly $1 million in federal grant money to investigate the genesis, spread, and demise of Internet memes.

The grant from the National Science Foundation awards four Indiana researchers $919,917 to for a project called Truthy that will, as the grant’s abstract explains, “explore why some ideas cause viral explosions while others are quickly forgotten.” (And yes, in case you’re wondering, the name was inspired by Stephen Colbert’s neologism “truthiness.”

The government-funded research is aimed at identifying which memes are organic and which ones are mere astroturf. “While the vast majority of memes arise in a perfectly organic manner, driven by the complex mechanisms of life on the Web, some are engineered by the shady machinery of high-profile congressional campaigns,” Truthy’s About page explains.

Truthy pulls in tweets using what its website calls a “Gardenhose,” deletes messages that are deemed “unlikely to contain political discussion,” and highlights hashtags, usernames, and Web addresses in the remaining tweets. The project can evaluate “thousands of tweets an hour.”

Example memes in Truthy’s online gallery include #TCOT, or "top conservatives on Twitter," the popular conservative conversation hashtag; #NVSEN, the hashtag used by political observers and activists for the 2014 Nevada U.S. Senate race; and #AMPAT, which Truthy describes as “a political hashtag used by many users on Twitter.”

The Truthy team gives us a glimpse of its analytical process in its description of the #AMPAT hashtag. “What makes this meme suspicious,” Truthy’s researchers write, “is that the bursts of activity are driven by two accounts controlled by the same user, in violation of Twitter TOS, and in an effort to give the impression that more people are tweeting about the same topics.”

Predictably enough, some conservatives on Twitter are not happy that the federal government is sponsoring meme analysis—especially given the fact that #TCOT is at the top of Truthy’s meme gallery."

Yeah americans, that's what your taxmoney today were used for 

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 10, 2014 2:02:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there a "truthy" meme?

September 10, 2014 2:13:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Our great and fantastic US Government strikes again. Stupid assholes! Spend the money on something worthwhile, like helping the poor or looking into medical cures! Sheesh!

I'm ashamed now to be living in Indiana, although not by choice! 

September 10, 2014 2:36:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To get to the truth of this, read all the way to the end of the grant:

"Additionally, we will create a web service open to the public for monitoring trends, bursts, and suspicious memes. This service could mitigate the diffusion of false and misleading ideas, detect hate speech and subversive propaganda, and assist in the preservation of open debate."-OP link

Translation Key:

"Open to the public" - translation? This site will track and report you.

"False and misleading ideas" (translation? Anything someone in the power structure doesn't like, i.e. the truth).

"Trends, bursts" (translation: A bunch of folks unhappy with something like 'government waste') and exercising the dreaded First Amendment.

"Suspicious memes (like cats: They're really suspicious).

Hmmm. Wonderful. More surveillance we pay for. More tools for the Phobiarchy, (or Intimidarchy - my newly minted words...don't steal!).

Maybe we'll even get a whole new, nifty spectrum of warning colors, too.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 10, 2014 3:14:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had to go and search to find out what a meme is so I wouldn't feel so stupid........didn't help. 

September 11, 2014 12:16:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

To get to the truth of this, read all the way to the end of the grant:

"Additionally, we will create a web service open to the public for monitoring trends, bursts, and suspicious memes. This service could mitigate the diffusion of false and misleading ideas, detect hate speech and subversive propaganda, and assist in the preservation of open debate."-OP link

Translation Key:

"Open to the public" - translation? This site will track and report you.

"False and misleading ideas" (translation? Anything someone in the power structure doesn't like, i.e. the truth).

"Trends, bursts" (translation: A bunch of folks unhappy with something like 'government waste') and exercising the dreaded First Amendment.

"Suspicious memes (like cats: They're really suspicious).

Hmmm. Wonderful. More surveillance we pay for. More tools for the Phobiarchy, (or Intimidarchy - my newly minted words...don't steal!).

Maybe we'll even get a whole new, nifty spectrum of warning colors, too.

well ... probably yes.

but that's not the real purpose. their problem is that the gap between public and published opinion has become so huge that newspapers or tv are loosing credibility in rapid speed.

these studies are not so much about surveillance but rather about how to create memes themselves.

September 11, 2014 12:30:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

I had to go and search to find out what a meme is so I wouldn't feel so stupid........didn't help.

yeah... I'd never heard of it either... sounds like something Marcel Marceau would be into...      

September 11, 2014 12:48:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

September 11, 2014 1:44:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The US federal budget for 2013 was something like 3400 billion dollars. To care even a little bit about this 1 million seems laughable.

September 11, 2014 2:20:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sydneysiders,

yeah... I'd never heard of it either... sounds like something Marcel Marceau would be into.

September 11, 2014 2:20:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

The US federal budget for 2013 was something like 3400 billion dollars. To care even a little bit about this 1 million seems laughable.

Yeah but it surprising how quickly those 1 million dollar programs add up to real money.  Oh, wait a minute, it is all real money.    

September 11, 2014 6:14:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

American logic:

$1 millions spent on meme study- "Wow look at these gov idiots, can't they spend that money on the POOR?"

*Gov tries to create new healthcare/anti-poverty programs*- "Wow look at these gov idiots, can't they realize spending money on the POOR never works?"

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

September 14, 2014 8:11:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
September 14, 2014 8:57:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RoaringWarren,

American logic:
$1 millions spent on meme study- "Wow look at these gov idiots, can't they spend that money on the POOR?"
Gov tries to create new healthcare/anti-poverty programs*- "Wow look at these gov idiots, can't they realize spending money on the POOR never works?"
Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

You cannot be serious I live in poverty not by my own hands but because of a debilitating diease I AM POOR ! I NEED HELP but because of attitudes such as yours the elderly the disabled and the indigent don't have a snowballs chance in hell.AS the GOP goes they say if you are sick and POOR please DIE quickly so we don't have to support your ASS. very pompous attitude if i say so

September 14, 2014 9:06:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Our great and fantastic US Government strikes again. Stupid assholes! Spend the money on something worthwhile, like helping the poor or looking into medical cures! Sheesh!

I'm ashamed now to be living in Indiana, although not by choice! 
I am on board with you all the way have no need for arrogant selfserving jerks thanks for your words!!

September 14, 2014 9:36:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sometimes....sarcasm can be lost in the written word.... Spell checker

September 14, 2014 10:09:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am sorry Jafo i am not understanding sarcasm can be lost in the written word what is the point of sarcasm it is just hurtful period.I do not like hurting people so when i see something like that it strikes home do not generalize the poor all being the same many end up poor not by their own hands but by tragedies or other circumstances they have no control over !!

September 14, 2014 10:21:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What comment #11 is attempting to indicate is the 'silliness' of a country complaining about wasting tax money on a meaningless study when that same country is the only one in the developed world not to seemingly even want to spend it on a national health service/the poor.

Meanwhile, the topic will invevitably become 'political argument' at which time it [the thread] will be removed to the appropriate forum.

Few years ago the Australian tax-payer funded an investigation into developing a female surfboard....

Equally an absurd waste of public money....

...unless of course the plan was to breed the surfboards....

[that, too is called 'sarcasm'] ...

September 14, 2014 12:27:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So sorry Jafo misunderstood the whole thing I just get upset when it comes to the poor flew of the handle please except my apologize. As far as our government goes they have always wasted taxpayers money it's like a little kid with a pocket full of money burning a hole in his pants it will always be frivolous spending of taxpayers money what can we do they will not listen to the people any more it's for thyself and by thyself attitude these days!!  

September 14, 2014 5:42:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you control the memes, you control the dialog. Very scary.

They already get people to vote against their own self interest by merely waving a flag.

I can't imagine what will happen when they are able to shape/mold fundamental beliefs.

September 15, 2014 12:46:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frankly, I think the US Gov't should fund a study to discover why the US Gov't is a bunch of insensitive; uncaring; self-centred; egotistical pricks [or female counterparts]

Oh wait... the Abbott Gov't here in Aus should fund something very similar, with the outcome being an early election upon the establishment of fact, that they are a bunch of insensitive; uncaring; self-centred, egotistical pricks [or female counterparts]

The Pirate hath requested...er, demanded.

September 15, 2014 4:05:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Few years ago the Australian tax-payer funded an investigation into developing a female surfboard....

and it was money damn well spent... we ended up with the 'pink' surfboard...

....after much in the way of exhaustive observations & research...

now females can to go to the beach confident they have the perfect accessory....

because we now have.... Chick Sticks...  .. has a government ever spent money better....  

Quoting Jafo,

[that, too is called 'sarcasm'] ...

September 15, 2014 6:29:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

O.K I got it I said I was sorry I jumped the gun what more can I say!

September 15, 2014 7:21:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bodadog,

O.K I got it I said I was sorry I jumped the gun what more can I say!

I was just funnin' with Jafo's comment.... bit of off-topic eye-candy for the boys....  

lighten' up... 

September 15, 2014 7:21:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Frankly, I think the US Gov't should fund a study to discover why the US Gov't is a bunch of insensitive; uncaring; self-centred; egotistical pricks [or female counterparts]

Oh wait... the Abbott Gov't here in Aus should fund something very similar, with the outcome being an early election upon the establishment of fact, that they are a bunch of insensitive; uncaring; self-centred, egotistical pricks [or female counterparts]

The Pirate hath requested...er, demanded.
that's the best thing I ever heard thanks Starker

September 15, 2014 11:47:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The history of the comic book, a hammer and a toilet. All studies funded by Uncle Sam. BTW - the hammer cost $100,000 USD.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.