looking for windows 8 skin for windows 7

By on August 18, 2014 6:59:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

dsbig123

Join Date 10/2007
+1

I having trouble finding windows 8 skin for windows 7.

most of ones I seen are skin packs which involve system files. dont want to have to go through that.

has anyone seen a windows 8 skin for windowblinds. not the one that comes with windowblinds. I want the solid color skin.

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 18, 2014 9:53:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The only ones I'm familiar with are the ones that are included with WindowBlinds.  Most people try to create skins that look different than the default OS.

August 18, 2014 7:54:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Deviantart may help. 

August 18, 2014 9:28:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

dsbig - I looked at the deviantart site a while back and found nothing.  I'd really appreciate if you should find anything, that you post a link.  I'll do the same.   Thanks.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 19, 2014 6:56:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not perfect,yet,the closest theme: http://caeszer.deviantart.com/art/Windows-8-Ultimate-unofficial-147597295

August 19, 2014 10:21:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Gasper.  Those screenshots don't look anything like Windows 8.  Also, I think the skin was designed to be used on XP - at least what the author states. What I'm looking for (and I think the original poster wants too) are themes for Win 7 like the Win 8 ones that come with WB, but with different color options and different colored (preferably glow) min/max buttons.  The black Win 8 theme with WB is very nice, I'd just like to have more color and button choices to switch to easily whenever I'm the mood to change my desktop.

August 19, 2014 11:23:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Then what you'd need to do is open Skinstudio and learn how to make the changes. Plenty of people around to help.

August 19, 2014 12:21:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah - hopefully you didn't intend it that way, but I found your response disrespectful.  I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if anyone has seen Win 8 skins with different colors.  I also don't think it's unreasonable to give a little more detail what one is looking for just in case work like that exists.  I surely didn't need the leave us alone and go do it yourself lecture.   Sorry about that.

August 19, 2014 6:45:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was going to say the thing as Uvah,yet,rescinded. Instead of nitpicking the perfection,I do think DIY will suit your need as long as there is scant people keen doing Windows 8 theme for the degraded OS as Windowblinds users.   

August 19, 2014 7:19:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like the original poster I was simply curious if there were any good Win 8 skins to be found.   I learned my lesson.  Thanks guys.  

August 19, 2014 7:59:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

a windows8 skin on windows7
1.But what would we do with the startmenu? A similar look as Start8 offers or should it have  "0" opacity or should it be one giant solid block with a similar style to the windows8 startmenu with the background background and if so which one?
2.What main color would you prefer? Windows8 adjusts the color automatically so it fits the wallpaper.
3.Should it have solid windowframes on active windows or slighty transparent ones? ( windows8 ) has solid active windowframes for active and passive.

Edit: well since you are not responding im guessing that someone already volunteered making one, which means 
more time playing games for me 

August 23, 2014 7:44:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks benmanns.  I appreciate your offer.  It s very kind, but not necessary.  My question was more to support the original poster and to determine if anything already was available.  Sorry for the slow response.  After the replies I received above, I've pretty much written off coming here anymore.

Hope you're enjoying your games 

August 23, 2014 8:19:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry, I would volunteer had it not been for the fact that I build skin to change the fugly Windows GUI not to emulate it. The idea for me, goes against the reasons that I skin. Please no offense to the OP, Just stating my reasons for not wanting to do it.

August 23, 2014 11:44:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MeSleeper,

Uvah - hopefully you didn't intend it that way, but I found your response disrespectful.  I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if anyone has seen Win 8 skins with different colors.  I also don't think it's unreasonable to give a little more detail what one is looking for just in case work like that exists.  I surely didn't need the leave us alone and go do it yourself lecture.   Sorry about that.

Sorry you took it that way Mesleeper but it was not intended to be disrespectful. And certainly not the 'leave us alone' type thing nor a lecture. I was simply pointing out a solution, nothing more nothing less. 

August 23, 2014 1:09:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Started on one however im uncertain how long it will take me to finsh it currently having issues with skinstudio that does not allow me to continue since i cant open it anymore.
Also i will have to get in contact with Stardock and Dani for permissions to actually upload it since its based on an existing skin.

August 23, 2014 3:01:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

benmanns - sounds wonderful.  Thank you for your kindness.  I will watch the WB skin offerings.

Uvah - sorry.  Hard sometimes to interpret the words without the voice inflection.  We move on.

August 23, 2014 3:15:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought someone would have said this already........might as wait for Windows 9 preview.  

August 23, 2014 3:41:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,

Started on one however im uncertain how long it will take me to finsh it currently having issues with skinstudio that does not allow me to continue since i cant open it anymore.

Very strange.....I can't get sks to work on my windows 7 lappy either. It crashes every time I open it. Strange because I used to have sks installed on the same lappy. It's now the family (kids) computer and I installed WB and SKS on it today so that I could finish off the skin I'm working on.

Off topic......sorry just caught my eye.

August 23, 2014 6:48:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

Very strange.....I can't get sks to work on my windows 7 lappy either.

Well iam on win8.1 but im glad that im not the only one having this problem.
I wrote a ticket today but havent recieved feedback on it yet.
To decribe my problem in detail ... i started up skinstudio and was promted with the first setup message, you know bla bla are you new to skinstudio or experienced...filled that out and had only the option close for it to confirm my selection.
When i pressed close Skinstudio turned off. When i started it up again it instantly closed and still does so without an error report.
DID bunch of things even cleaned the registry but no cure.
But i know someone will look into it   until then gaming time hehe

August 23, 2014 6:55:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have 8.0 on my Windows 8.....works fine. It was v 8.1 that crashed on the Windows 7. You described exactly the same behavior I am experiencing.

August 23, 2014 9:40:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

I have 8.0 on my Windows 8.....works fine. It was v 8.1 that crashed on the Windows 7

Mine says 8.0. glad I stuck with that. Not going to touch 8.01 with what i'm reading.

September 2, 2014 6:50:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

News Flash: 
I build the skin based on win8 not Diamond...
I made a request for permissions got feedback today
"For personal use we do not mind if you use it. Any other use is prohibited."

So there is a problem...im sorry but my hands are tied 

September 2, 2014 7:49:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks benmanns for trying and for letting us know.  You effort was very kind and appreciated.  Not sure who is not giving you permission, but I am sure they have a reason.  

September 4, 2014 11:57:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry again... 
Dont get me wrong but im pretty pissed by that E-Mail myself, it is not that im incapable of make the skin, but this is how I look like in this topic now.

Quoting MeSleeper,

"For personal use we do not mind if you use it. Any other use is prohibited."
this was the original feedback of Stardock.
Basically there is no reason to decline the request...
It is not any different than using Diamond and in the end IM NOT MAKING PROFIT it contributes to the skins section for Stardock products.

Im thinking about just throwing everything into Diamond.

But after this weekend because im celebrating.

September 4, 2014 12:40:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

benmanns - on the surface there doesn't appear to any consistency.  When Vista and Win 7 were released, there were multiple offerings to transform XP to a Vista/Win 7 lookalike.  There are offerings now to make Win 7 look like a MacOS or a Linux system. It's seems odd that your attempt to make Win 7 into a Win 8 lookalike was rejected.  Perhaps there are some unstated legal issues?

It's been quite awhile since I used any downloaded skins.  People pour their heart and soul into their work and while it is great stuff to look at, I find the very dark skins with lots of frilly art art work hard to use on a daily basis.  I was hoping for some additional minimal options like the ones you proposed.  

Anyway, thanks again.  Sorry that your request was rejected.  I can tell that you worked hard on this and I'm sure the rejection feels disappointing.  

September 4, 2014 1:38:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Diamond is the default skin in SkinStudio.  Win8 is a skin that was designed for WindowBlinds, so that is why it cannot be modified and distributed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.