Explorer.exe

By on August 13, 2014 12:58:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

GregII

Join Date 02/2005
+20

I'm getting multiple instances of explorer.exe which is shooting up my CPU to 50-75%.  Does anybody know what is causing this?  Thanks.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2014 3:41:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi,
check these things first:
what os are you using?
Do you have big files in C:\ or in the folder you are using ( like desktop folder ) that are needing previewing (big images and videos)  ?? .
explorer.exe updates sometimes preview images for some reasons. ( the same thing happens also on linux with nemo or nautilus ( both explorer.exe equivalents)!).
Think that is the case on your system.

Also do you have enough space left on your main hard disk ?

Is a disk or floppy or cd/dvd/bluray disk attached /inserted that is corrrupt or damaged . ?
It  Don' t need to be physical or cause data loss , sometimes its only a simple software based sector fault for unused space. ( happens often for Eink- readers or cheap sd/MMC/SDHC cards!)) ??. A case like this won`t cause any data loss ( except for deleted files ), but can slow down the system a lot ( even prevent from booting).
So try to run chkdsk or scandisk on your smaller disks . ( they schould be included in win7 (even if they aren hte ones from w95/98bluedxca93 anymore)

On my 3ghz dual core win7 64 bit explorer.exe crashes every 2 minutes. Have only 1 gb left and my file system is nearly damaged.But i do know why ( cause of writing files with other  OS to disk ) and i don`t mind it .

b.t.w im still a visitor on this site and it took me 3 min to open this reply window ( damn interente connection)
regards bluedxca93

August 13, 2014 12:43:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can't tell you the exact problem, but I can tell you what worked for me.

I was having the same problem. I googled it and found a lot of responses about having any "arguments" on any explorer shortcut, such as renaming one, or changing the file it points to.

I had renamed a few libraries on my start menu, and pointed them to another directory.

But that didn't seem to be the problem, I reverted those to default.......no help.

I found that unpinning the libraries icon from the taskbar, and just navigating to the library I wanted to open, fixed the problem.

Dunno why, but it worked for me. I seem to remember losing that shortcut before, accidentally removing it. I think when I replaced it with the actual explorer.exe, I caused the problem.

August 13, 2014 8:10:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, guys.  None of this has worked.  Anybody else have any suggestions?  Thanks.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 13, 2014 9:27:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Disable some services may ease up a bit . 

August 14, 2014 6:36:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hi  

check  to be logged in only once. ( on windows you can normally use the switch users section b.t.w).

Its hard to find the  problem with explore.exe since it controls a huge part of the microsoft systems. 

Disabling some system startup services could help Gaspershooters is right there  ( on my pc there were some unecessary macafee + toshiba + nero services. ). Also some programs do start there support "service" with the windows service list and not autostart ( cause its harder to remove them this way). Happens  often with toolbars or wrong antivirus software. Some applications also use it for their registrated/activated control programm services. 

But be also aware that disabling the false system services might even break your system or a part of it. Normally you can decide if the service is essencial for the system  by their description but not always, if you are unsure google which ones are necessary and which ones aren`t.  Look also how much cpu they use (perhaps there is already the connection with the explorer instances bug).

regards bluedxca93

August 14, 2014 6:47:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What OS (XP Vista 7/8)?  is it a x32 or x64 version?
Please provide some system specs.
Any Antivirus installed ? If so what brand ?
Is there any explorer like total commander installed?

Common reasons for having several explorer tasks running in taskmanager:
1.Explorer crashed and was restarted...
2.Virus, Malware  

If the Taskmanager is opened and F5 is pressed the explorer tasks is mouseovered ( the list should refresh ) afterwards there should be only 1 running task remaining.
If thats not the case right click on any running explorer task and then select propertys, check the datapath it should be C:\Windows check another 2 just to make sure all have the same path if they dont have the same path see below
If that is not the case, i would recommend scanning the system.

Before you check these steps below open your Taskmanager now navigate to rider "view"
under the option refresh, should be something named refresh speed is that set to Fast ? if not set it so.
And press F5... check for the remaining Tasks.

PS you can try this if on WIN7

End the explorer.exe, but the safe way!
After opening the Startmenu  hold ctrl + shift and move the mousecursor to an empty spot in the start menu and make right click,  a window should come up with END Properties and Explorer , click on close explorer.
The Start-menu + desktop + taskbar are now beeing closed.
Now, restart the taskmanager, to do so press ctrl + shift + esc!
After that is done check the Taskmanager whether any multiple/several explorer.exe  are running. 
If yes it can indicate Trojan / virus, if there is only one visable now, then the explorer.exe is probably 
damaged !!
repair / get a new one over @ Microsoft
Restart the explorer inside Taskmanager: apllication/new Task/open .... now type in explorer.exe 

Enter in the task manager --- Applications --- new task --- Opening --- Explorer.exe and OK (Enter) Explorer starts and everything is normal.

August 25, 2014 1:31:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I finally found the culprit. After a repair reinstall of Windows 7 didn't fix the problem, I went all out and did a full format and reinstall of Windows 7.

Installed all windows updates, all is well.....

Installed several of my Must Have Stardock Products, and the problem returned.

So, I uninstalled all Stardock products, problem is gone again.

After several install/uninstalls of various Stardock products, I finally narrowed it down to DeskScapes 8.  Without DS8, I have no multiple explorer.exes in task manager bogging down a system with 12 GB ram, a 6 core cpu, and an SSD.

I am currently running DeskScapes 3 with no problems.

Also running Fences 2, WindowBlinds, CursorFX, WindowFX.

So, if you still have the problem, try uninstalling DeskScapes8. Remember to deactivate it first, via about.

August 25, 2014 1:40:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I put in a ticket on this, guys.  Waiting...

September 1, 2014 1:42:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Deskscapes 8 version 8.10 works without the multiple explorer.exe as well.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.