Bit defender screwing with browser

damn thing will not uninstall completely.

By on August 11, 2014 1:34:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+737

I did the free offer from Bitdefender and all was good but it didn't quite do the job it was intended for. I got better results using Avast which I went back to. Unfortunately Bit defender is a real PITA to remove. I was able to uninstall it using ASC's uninstaller but two folders remain and I can't delete them. Tried stopping processes in Task Manager but all I get is 'access denied'. Tried taking ownership but that doesn't work either. I remember, vaguely, something about this popping up in another thread. Any clues?

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 11, 2014 1:43:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Use this........  http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

IMHO, BitDefender is garbage and is best left at the curb.

August 11, 2014 1:48:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I remember, vaguely

MAYBE you should do your homework before installing such junk.

August 12, 2014 12:45:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This..........https://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

Never tried it but MWB seems to be a good source.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 12, 2014 8:39:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, the only problem I can find about BD and browsers involves Firefox...and sandboxing...

Did you dl it from the actual BitDefender site? What version did you download?

August 14, 2014 10:33:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From the BD site and the latest version.

Unlocker doesn't do anything. Click unlock and the window vanishes then comes back and all the files are still there even though I set the action for delete.

August 14, 2014 12:34:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We all think the best AV is what we use and that is fine. Maybe some don't work as well on their machine as others do. 

I did my homework for years trying different ones. Been using BD for about 6 to 8 years now and it has always worked just fine for me. Be nice if I could pass something on to you about a problem but I haven't had any as of yet and I'm totally updated. Hoping you can find one that is best for you and gets rid of your problem. I think sometimes it may be something someone uses in the way of programs that things don't agree with. It appears I haven't used any of those programs at least not yet.

August 14, 2014 2:26:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Go here.

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Downloads/uninstallIntro/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

Find the version you had and click on the green download button

Follow the prompts to get the uninstaller.

Run the tool as instructed.

Have a nice day.

August 14, 2014 4:05:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've had BD for years, without a problem. Not with browsers, or anything else, for that matter.

Can't fathom what it didn't do for you that Avast does...maybe you could explain that I might learn...

Anyway, you could have availed yourself of their tech support...too bad you didn't.

August 14, 2014 9:15:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BitDefender was my weapon of choice before Kaspersky ....and the only reason for the switch was BD was a little slow putting out a compatible ver for Win 7 .... and I'd just updated to 7. [early adopter].

Interestingly...the only issue I've had with Kaspersky has been its insistance [via email] that my sub was about to expire....it wasn't....had another 18 months to go.   But that could just be the Ruskies are in a different time zone...

August 15, 2014 5:05:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

details on the "screwing with browser" and "better results" parts would be interesting. i got a feeling though that you could actually get a good price for this computer if you'd sell it to an anti-virus company.

August 15, 2014 9:59:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LMAO!!!

August 15, 2014 10:36:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's nice, it's real funny when you need help. 

Search with Google for Revo Uninstaller and Piriform CCleaner. Both have Pro versions with 15 or 30 day free trials. Personally, I recommend you come up with the few bucks and install and configure these two beauties. For that matter, go on Amazon and buy Malwarebytes Pro forever license for $29 while you can still get it. They are changing to a one year subscription model but it is the best deal available. Regarding Revo, just ask it to uninstall Bitdefender in Advanced mode. If that doesn't catch it you may have to use Revo as an installer, track it and reinstall Bitdefender. Then use Revo, in Advanced mode to wipe the whole thing again. Then go back at it with a general hard drive cleaning using CCleaner. Like I said, buy and keep Cleaner, Uninstaller and Malwarebytes Pro, on your machine. Configure all three programs to run and scan and update automatically. This will be the best investment you ever made

Just remember, when all things that seem possible will not work, try the one that you thought was impossible. 

August 15, 2014 9:37:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Site Admins are the deciders of who is a 'numnutz' or not.  Usually followed by a 'banning'....

August 16, 2014 11:14:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You tell 'em Jafo.

*runs away really fast*

August 16, 2014 11:21:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

*runs away really fast*

You can run....but you'll only die tired....

August 16, 2014 11:22:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

lol...you're not the one who should be running, Uvah.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.