How do i make a non recolorable skin!

By on August 11, 2014 4:12:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

bluedxca93

Join Date 07/2014
+7

Hi,

Im searching a way to create a non recolorable skin / Just for fun. This is my first attempt to make one ( using simply no colors so you can`t recolor it).

BTW: do someone know how to remove damn unwanted startupprgorams like this damn help head at right button.?

regards bluedxca93

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 11, 2014 7:11:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Type MSCONFIG in to your Start Menu and click on StARTUP tab....un tik the ones you don't want to start with Windows

August 11, 2014 8:58:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's almost impossible to make a non recoverable skin because there is a method that will add a plain colour on top of the original graphics, though the default method will try to change the hue.

Anyways, if you create a monochromatic skin, it's harder to recolour, grayscale even harder.

August 11, 2014 9:32:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi,

yeah it seems so. However i did now try a bit more with my greyscale skin and it works well , but textures can still insert color artefacts damn .Skin in screenshot will be posted soon. perhaps it' ll go trough moderation  (  would be funny ...) 

regrds bluedxca93

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 11, 2014 9:39:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All skins go through moderation Frieder until you reach the Master Skinner level. Then your free skins would bypass moderation but any Master Skins you submit would still go through moderation.

August 11, 2014 11:00:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And if you upload a skin 2 times due to your buggy interent connection , Island Dog likes to let both uploads not go trough moderation.thx for that. Hope he is usually more friendly. ( i assume so, perhaps he does understand this problem). Thx for your comment.  

August 11, 2014 11:13:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you upload a skin and it does not work right, you just go to your profile and edit it to upload the files again, you don't upload the skin a second time.

August 11, 2014 11:21:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bluedxca93,

And if you upload a skin 2 times due to your buggy interent connection , Island Dog likes to let both uploads not go trough moderation.thx for that. Hope he is usually more friendly. ( i assume so, perhaps he does understand this problem). Thx for your comment.  

If two uploads are the same, I have no way of knowing which is the one meant to be used.

August 11, 2014 11:31:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

All skins go through moderation Frieder until you reach the Master Skinner level.

"A Journeyman's skin is automatically made available upon uploading, not having to go through moderation"

August 11, 2014 11:44:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Quoting LightStar,

All skins go through moderation Frieder until you reach the Master Skinner level.

"A Journeyman's skin is automatically made available upon uploading, not having to go through moderation"

Hmmm, don't remember it being that way, but it's been a while! Thanks. 

August 11, 2014 12:22:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

If two uploads are the same, I have no way of knowing which is the one meant to be used.

Hi,

thx for your quick replys. I won't upload different files. And don`t also  post the same theme with different names.

Think this misunderstanding is fixed now. I’m used to other sites that have another "moderating" technique so i’ m sometimes a bit confused.Wb is not gtk, even if there are huge similarities.

I think  i' ll upload two real themes at a time, since i can then review my uploads after having uploaded at least two times ( the first won't show at first ( so editing trick from lightstar1 wont work in direct way )= ) but after second upload first would be shown too ).

Did misunderstand the moderator sry for that Island Dog / Hope that wont happen in future.

regards bluedxca93

August 11, 2014 12:29:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bluedxca93,

I think  i' ll upload two real themes at a time, since i can then review my uploads after having uploaded at least two times ( the first won't show at first ( so editing trick from lightstar1 wont work in direct way )= ) but after second upload first would be shown too ).

Please no.  Only upload one theme that is intended for the site.

August 11, 2014 12:39:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hi, 

Yeah and then i don`t see this upload and can' t edit it if something went wrong )=. Not good. Someone at visitor/citizien level  can't do much btw.

Posting two different skins  both intended for the sites at a time would be easier.

But if it has to be only one theme its okay too. ! . 

regards bluedxca93

August 15, 2014 12:47:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hi,

im posting now an simple screenshot of a sample theme (Might improve the theme a bit before moderation): so others might look and see what is possible if you assume that theme is flat, colorfree and at consequence NOT RECOLORABLE ( tried grey gradients too but to be honest i did make the theme looking really really bad   . animations do work sometimes [e digicons]:')[/e] )

regards bluedxca93

screenshot

August 16, 2014 11:12:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess I'm just missing the point of why in the first place. It's one of the perks of WB to change whatever to suit the end user's desires.

August 16, 2014 11:29:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

I guess I'm just missing the point of why in the first place. It's one of the perks of WB to change whatever to suit the end user's desires.

I'm with gmc2 ... the reason Windowblinds exists is to add originality/colour/difference/individuality/personality to the Windows GUI.

Yes, you can certainly make a theme that looks like no WB is even loaded...or is simply like the basic non-aero 16bit windows style...whatever....but why would you?   Just because you can? ....

August 16, 2014 11:48:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Why?

Because always using colors is boring and using half monochrome is also so common. 

See it as an retro theme for remembering old DOS times, where color screens have been not so sharp than colorless ones. 

I’m sure ill get at least one positive comment for it soon.

regards bluedxca93

August 16, 2014 11:56:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting gmc2,

Yes, you can certainly make a theme that looks like no WB is even loaded...or is simply like the basic non-aero 16bit windows style...whatever....but why would you?   .

That is false. Already because aero doesn`t have this design. Look at the theme when its out and then you will see the differences. It has a lot. The theme is maked on a per pixel level win7 isn`t. This theme has originality/colour/difference/individuality/personality you just have to use it for a while and you will notice why im writing that 

regards bluedxca93

August 16, 2014 12:36:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any and ALL GUI versions have been made into Windowblinds skins... some of the earliest were Win 3 ...BeOS, Amiga...Mac... various Linux...even CBM64.

NOTHING there is new. Pretty-well ALL of my WB skins [for example] were simply grey...and they date back to the beginning of this century.

GUI skinning has been around since Adam was a pup.....if it can be done then it already has been.  Even 'per pixel' isn't new.....and I'm still doing it that way.

Greyscale...and/or plain monochrome becomes simply old...simply quickly.  Certainly WB's modern capacity to colourize or colour-shift skins means more people are likely to find a skin appealing because they CAN alter the hue to their personal taste...

August 16, 2014 1:24:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I do think that even some master skins are getting old with time.

Think a bit about how people do  download skins actually. If you haven`t published a theme in a month you will berely have one download for a theme. Thats an non pleasurant fact i did notice even on other themes sites. So why not publish a greyscale  theme in year 2014? 

It would at least make  people think about your other themes and some would comment. Also they are so few new greyscale theme that i decided to make one. soon i' ll post a different colored version ( brown yellow green). Ignore this post if you want to .

b.t.w you can recolor nearly monochromatic ( not exact monochromatic skins the best). and yes i did copy the look of win7 and mac os + osx to linux,such a simple task .

regards bluedxca93

August 16, 2014 2:09:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bluedxca93,

If you haven`t published a theme in a month you will berely have one download for a theme.

You are saying if I upload a WB and wait 2 months or 3 months or more I won't get good downloads?

If that is what you are saying are you so wrong. At least here on WC. I can't speak for other sites but WC has very loyal people that like new WindowBlinds no matter when they come out. Not every style is for everyone but that is the same for anywhere. However it's not depended on how long a person takes to upload their next windowblind.

August 16, 2014 2:46:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bluedxca93,

Because always using colors is boring and using half monochrome is also so common.

You create your windowblind for yourself and if you like it, share it with others. If someone likes it but with a blue tint or a wood grain texture, so what. You're not going to see it anyway.

August 16, 2014 3:08:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think what people are trying to say Frieder is design for yourself, what you think looks good. There are lots of gray scale skins out there, but it does not matter if they are old or new as long as they work on the operating system you are using, and you like them of course. I sometimes put out a new or updated skin every 2 weeks or so, but that's only because I have been doing this for around 18 years or so, and have tons of older skins I can update. If I start a new skin from scratch, it usually takes me a full two weeks or more to finish it, and as I am changing my design looks now probably longer. Maybe a new skin once a month or so. But it would not matter even if it was 6 months, if someone likes a design they will use it no matter how long it took the designer to create it.

P.S. A word of recommendation, you might want to work on the start button, it's a bit rough looking. Unless of course you want it that way. 

August 16, 2014 3:18:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What Tom said.

August 16, 2014 8:59:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The issue with an attempt to make a skin 'non-colourable' is that even 1-bit graphics [that's 2 colours....black and white with no greyscaling] are being painted by the OS in whatever colour depth you ascribe to the desktop...typically true-colour or full-colour 16.7 million of them.

A program with the capacity to colour-shift will still be able to alter simple black and white.

If you can dumb-down the desktop colour res then you might prevent it happening...but you'll find many programs will spit a dummy because your colour depth isn't supported....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.