I hate Facebook

By on August 8, 2014 4:41:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Timmaigh

Join Date 05/2009
+37

...with passion. 

Not only the stupid thing constantly drops shitloads of notifications into Gmail, only to remind me what a no lifer i am in comparison to my peers and to remind me about certain people and things i really dont want to be reminded, cause they tend to break my mood, but once in a million year, when i fucking need it and want to use it, i find out it wont work the way i want....RAGE....

More specifically, i sent a message today to a certain person i am not a "facebook friend" with. I would really want that message to be read, the thing is, as i found out after i sent it, cause we are not "friends". said message would be dropped into some kind of "Other" inbox instead of regular one . I did not even know there is any Other inbox myself and the best part is, you apparently dont even get notified about new message in that inbox, not even with that "red alert" icon on top of the screen... you just have to manually and intentionally open the inbox to see if there are any messages there... so the chances are pretty high, the message wont be read at all.... now how retarded is that?

sorry for foul language, but i cant help it. fucking facebook!

42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 8, 2014 4:48:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't do facebook, but it seems to me you are 'raging' because facebook won't let you do something that might (and likely would) be abused by every 'spammer' in a heartbeat if they did?

August 8, 2014 5:06:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

I don't do facebook, but it seems to me you are 'raging' because facebook won't let you do something that might (and likely would) be abused by every 'spammer' in a heartbeat if they did?

Yes, the thing is i am not a spammer not a spambot. It just a single message. I dont think its anything unusual to send something to someone who is not your "friend" yet, before you sent actual friend request or he/she does... just put some kind of spam filter in place ffs and let people to send messages to whoever they want to...

imagine gmail putting all the mails from adresses not in your addressbook automatically into spam folder, without doing any kind of filtering, how awesome that would be...

August 8, 2014 5:17:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't do Facebook either. I find it a waste of time.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 8, 2014 5:31:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yeah.. me too.. plus.. its not even really a book. How stupid is that?

August 8, 2014 5:37:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i sent a message today to a certain person i am not a "facebook friend" with. I would really want that message to be read

It appears you wish FB to operate on your terms. News flash, it doesn't work that way so what. 

Why don't you just friend that person and if they accept send your message. If they don't than oh well. If they do and you are not happy just with whatever you wanted to say just un-friend. It really is that simple. Why people get so upset over things they have no control over I will never understand. Here is an idea. Start your own social Media site and you can control it all.

August 8, 2014 5:55:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not only the stupid thing constantly drops shitloads of notifications into Gmail,

Facebook is emailing you because you've not told it not to. It's most likely notifications about comments on posts you've commented on yourself.
Change it in your settings.

*sigh* How fucking hard can it be....

August 8, 2014 6:00:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Eh, only reason I ever had a FB account was because my Ex made me create one.  Not long after we split, I found I was using/paying attention to it so little, I deleted it.  Haven't looked back since.

August 8, 2014 6:02:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DaveBax,

i sent a message today to a certain person i am not a "facebook friend" with. I would really want that message to be read

It appears you wish FB to operate on your terms. News flash, it doesn't work that way so what. 

Why don't you just friend that person and if they accept send your message. If they don't than oh well. If they do and you are not happy just with whatever you wanted to say just un-friend. It really is that simple. Why people get so upset over things they have no control over I will never understand. Here is an idea. Start your own social Media site and you can control it all.

Because said person knows me only "by sight" (honestly dont know how to say this in english. LOL) and does not know my name nor anything about me, and it seems kinda weird to me to ask someone to be a "friend" with me under such conditions...without saying anything first. Does that not make enough sense?

And i sent the message already anyway, without knowing about all the hidden Other inbox folder BS, and obviously, i cant take it back...if i sent the request now, the message would maybe stay in that folder anyway, even if my request was accepted...which clearly is not guaranteed to happen, but as you said, in such case, oh well...why should anyone give a shit about what i want anyway, right? But why even bother to offer certain service to people, if its fucked up be design?

You keep wondering why people get upset about things outside of their control. I keep wondering how such a massive system as Facebook involving many bright people building/managing it can have such obvious basic flaws and nobody does anything about it. 

August 8, 2014 6:09:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Not only the stupid thing constantly drops shitloads of notifications into Gmail,

Facebook is emailing you because you've not told it not to. It's most likely notifications about comments on posts you've commented on yourself.
Change it in your settings.

*sigh* How fucking hard can it be....

I barely go there, last time i posted there was on 25th May - before today. Meanwhile i got about zillion mails from it, rest assured 99,9 percent of them had nothing to do with me nor my comments.

That part of the OP was meant as semi-joke anyway. I am annoyed by it, but not enough to bother to go to FB and deal with any settings. I just try my best to ignore it.

August 8, 2014 6:12:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the difference here is one's definition of "friend".  A lot of people (in my experience) consider anyone they talk to as a "friend" ("Oh, I have thousands of friends!").  I think FB kind of blurred the lines on what a "friend" really is.

August 8, 2014 7:14:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting furyofthestars,

I think the difference here is one's definition of "friend".  A lot of people (in my experience) consider anyone they talk to as a "friend" ("Oh, I have thousands of friends!").  I think FB kind of blurred the lines on what a "friend" really is.

Could not have said that any better myself.

Just a litter adder to that. I actually know people that think all those people on his or her list are actually their friends even thought they live thousands of miles away.

Timmaigh - To many things in life to think about and take care of. Try not to let something like FB get you down. It's social media and they will do it their way. So just let it go, shake it off and  smile

August 8, 2014 8:19:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting vStyler,

yeah.. me too.. plus.. its not even really a book. How stupid is that?
And where's the face!?

I mess around on facebook mostly because I'm bored and for laughs. I do see some cool shit on there as well though.

And dude....turn off the email notifications....problem solved. Unless I actually got to my facebook page I don't even know it's there.

August 8, 2014 8:24:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The absurdity that is Facebook...

I have an account that I almost NEVER access.

I did the politically-correct thing recently and responded to /accepted 'friend' requests from a bunch of people...the number had been accumulating over months....

...and at least THEY might appreciate a response [even if I don't care for the program myself].

I had my access suspended for 'spamming'.

It wasn't 'spamming', you fucking useless Facebook....it was supposedly part of your FUCTION [sic].

I won't be back on it.

August 8, 2014 8:40:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I had my access suspended for 'spamming'.

It wasn't 'spamming', you fucking useless Facebook....it was supposedly part of your FUCTION [sic].

How about that!? They don't want you to have "to many" friends on there at once...lmao

August 8, 2014 8:48:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I signed up years ago for my son's boyscout troop, but almost never used it.

I hear a lot more people say they don't use it than those who say they do use it.

Even my step sister and sister in law who were heavy users a number of years ago, almost never use it anymore.

Which makes me wonder who is still using it....

August 8, 2014 10:13:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't like Facebook, Don't use Facebook. Simple but don't complain about it, that's pointless moaning

August 9, 2014 1:23:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i'd guess attractive females are rather happy that their inbox doesn't get flooded by creeps they don't even know.

August 9, 2014 5:29:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've lost people to the terrible mister that is fb. Won't talk to me in person but online is fine. :/

August 9, 2014 8:24:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Facebook is brilliant!!

August 9, 2014 9:08:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Had and account there, past tense. Got to the point where it made no point so...delete...delete...delete. Gone! History. No more FB.

August 9, 2014 12:38:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

Facebook is brilliant!!

Don't say that, Bryan.
All the moaning freaks will just join and ruin the fun for those who enjoy it.

Twitter was made for them.

August 9, 2014 1:41:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

Facebook is brilliant!!
   I second that ! 

August 9, 2014 3:29:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah....facebook isn't that bad...it's what you make of it.....I find lots of useful stuff on there....and like the net you find not so useful stuff. People just like to complain I guess. It's like anything else....if someone's bothering you get rid of them....someone has a huge ego...same thing....the one thing you will find on facebook is tons a fake friends that are easily ignored or removed.

August 9, 2014 3:36:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

the one thing you will find on facebook is tons a fake friends that are easily ignored or removed.
Quoting WebGizmos,

.the one thing you will find on facebook is tons a fake friends that are easily ignored or removed.

..... and you can find those gems, that make you smile, think, cry, and laugh till you can't laugh any more.  

August 9, 2014 4:22:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I regularly use Facebook and there is some value in that it does aid somewhat in keeping in touch with friends who have busy lives.  I do agree with the OP though that concerns targeted messages and conversations which should by default NOT be shared with your friends list en masse, because the obvious intent was to a single person, not a general share.  I would go so far as to say ALL of my FB friends/family hate the continuous changes to Facebook  and feel that their privacy is under constant attack.  There are certain websites/services I quit using because they want to datamine my FB friends list.  It's a problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000954   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.