PC is still slow to boot. I tried all the usual steps to improve. Any suggestions?

By on July 25, 2014 10:10:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Borg999

Join Date 02/2006
+36

My PC:

Windows 7 64bit w/ Latest update

Processor: i5

Ram: 8GB

Cleaned registry

Checked start up programs, and deselected unnecessary items

Deleted temp files

Defragged hard drive

Ran full scans of Malware bytes and NIS.

I use both C Cleaner and Wisecare to perform some of these tasks. I perform the above steps on a regular basis.

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 25, 2014 10:18:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Take up golf...

Seriously...how 'slow' is slow? ...

July 25, 2014 10:34:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Take up golf...

Seriously...how 'slow' is slow? ...

Anything but golf. I'd rather watch paint dry.

It varies between 1 to 2 minutes.

July 25, 2014 10:48:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Golf....'ruins a good walk'....

I'll never take it up...even I have better dress sense....[and that's saying something]...

1 to 2 minutes....I wouldn't fret it...unless you cold booted your computer 3 times a day.

I'm lucky to cold boot mine 3 times a month.... 2 minutes or so is absolutely no issue.  It's how it responds once booted that matters...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 25, 2014 11:21:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Get an SSD. 

July 25, 2014 11:26:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting heft,

Get an SSD. 

Yea that would probably work, but I reallty don't want to spend  a lot of money.

Whatever happened to those PC's that had liquid nitrogen surrounding the CPU and other components?

July 25, 2014 11:34:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Golf....'ruins a good walk'....

It's how it responds once booted that matters...

Every now and then, Firefox or Chrome, and Windows explorer will take a half minute to load once I click on them, but it's inconsistant. Weird...

Also, my wall paper seems to take a while to load on start up. It may have something to do with Windows Blinds as I set up the wallpaper from the control panel rather than via WB..but that's an easy fix. Just have to move the jpeg to the WB directory.

July 25, 2014 12:35:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you have a raid array, a failed drive can greatly increase the startup time, and there may not be any indications without going into disk management, that a mirror drive isn't functioning.

Various games install AMD Dual Core Optimizer, even on Intel machines, and royally fuck things up.  This particular bit of malware will take some light reading to properly remove it.

If MalwareBytes and NIS are on your system and running, that could be your problem as well.  They "should" play nice, but you never know when an update to one will cause issues with the other, and conflicting antiviral software can have a diverse array of negative performance impacts.  Competing real time scanning modes can easily duplicate the inconsistent performance issue.

You could also be having memory issues, run a memory checker.  If you built a page file on a fragmented drive, the defrag didn't necessarily fix it.

July 25, 2014 1:51:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Borg999...this article might give you a systematic way to examine your boot time and analyze where the delays are...

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what%E2%80%99s-taking-so-long-how-to-fight-slow-startup-times-in-windows-7/

July 25, 2014 2:05:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting psychoak,

If MalwareBytes and NIS are on your system and running, that could be your problem as well.  They "should" play nice, but you never know when an update to one will cause issues with the other, and conflicting antiviral software can have a diverse array of negative performance impacts.  Competing real time scanning modes can easily duplicate the inconsistent performance issue.

Thanks for the info. I will defintely look into those things!

I've turned off MWB's real time protection to avoid a conflict, so that shouldn't be an issue.

July 25, 2014 2:05:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Borg999...this article might give you a systematic way to examine your boot time and analyze where the delays are...

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what%E2%80%99s-taking-so-long-how-to-fight-slow-startup-times-in-windows-7/

Thanks!

July 25, 2014 10:23:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

If MalwareBytes and NIS are on your system and running, that could be your problem as well. They "should" play nice, but you never know when an update to one will cause issues with the other, and conflicting antiviral software can have a diverse array of negative performance impacts. Competing real time scanning modes can easily duplicate the inconsistent performance issue.

Yes, listen to psychoak ....it's never really a good idea to run two [or more] AV proggies...and if both are 'real-time' even worse...

July 26, 2014 3:23:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

If MalwareBytes and NIS are on your system and running, that could be your problem as well.

It is probably best to run just one [trusted] AV program at a time... and IF you encounter an issue then run something like an anti-malware program to determine its source/cause should your regular software miss it.

As for the "slow starts", how old is your Win 7 installation?  As will any Windows version Win 7 will slow down over time... regardless of registry cleaners and the like.  To simplify it, Windows saves data in various caches and this can cause things to slow down some over time. However, this does not mean anything is wrong with your installation, just that it may be a little cluttered with data that regular cleaners do not ordinarily touch.

Frankly, if it's not too big a worry, you can carry on as normal and use your regular maintenance tools to clean things once a week or so, or you can do a clean install of Win 7 and start with a clean slate.  This would give you faster boots for a time, but as previously stated, Windows will slow over time due to data accumulation that Windows thinks it needs.

July 26, 2014 7:40:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey guys I don't run both NIS and MWB at the same time. I run them one at a time. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I appreciate everyones imput!

July 26, 2014 7:46:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If they both have active protection then they are both running...without you opening them to do a manual scan.

July 26, 2014 7:57:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^ Tru dat.

They are both running in the background by default. You can check that under the "Processes" tab in your Task Manager. 

There is a conflict when running NIS 2013 and Malwarebytes...here's the search page url, Borg999: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Malware+bytes+and+NIS+conflicts

It's a case where "If one's good, two are better" doesn't hold true.

July 26, 2014 9:22:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

If they both have active protection then they are both running...without you opening them to do a manual scan.

Yea, I turned MWB's real time protection off a while ago.

July 26, 2014 2:23:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote]If MalwareBytes and NIS are on your system and running, that could be your problem as well.  They "should" play nice, but you never know when an update to one will cause issues with the other, and conflicting antiviral software can have a diverse array of negative performance impacts.  Competing real time scanning modes can easily duplicate the inconsistent performance issue.[/quote}

I had MalwareBytes, then got NIS. MB still kept cycling through for viruses, but it could no longer perform a complete check. I removed it, and gained back a measure of speed.

But an SSD as your primary drive is really a good idea. I've got one, and use it only for core executables. As long as you don't do a lot of writing and erasing from that drive, you should be fine, and you don't really need a very large one, either.

July 26, 2014 3:27:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Borg,

Have you checked your windows logs?   Not everything that is 'crashing' and/or 'faulting' causes a big window to pop up or present the user with a balloon notification etc.  Make sure you sift through those logs and view everything at or around your system's boot-up to ensure there isn't a service or other system/application module faulting silently in the background.  Even if nothing as obvious as that is found in the logs, they often times tend to shed additional light on the issue(s) etc.

In my opinion, the OS logs are often the place with the most pertinent information to help a user in troubleshooting their system, unfortunately they are also too often ignored/forgotten.

EDIT:

In case you don't know.   START > RUN > compmgmt.msc  and once the snapin loads drill down in EVENT VIEWER.

July 26, 2014 4:45:16 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Pay heed to the_Monk.  He knoweth.

FWIW, I have Avast Free and MWB Premium running concurrently on my Win7 Pro 64b rigs without issue.

July 26, 2014 9:38:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry, late to the party. You can always do a repair install of Win7 to give it that like-new feel. Complete instructions here:   http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.