I will never subscribe to stardock products again. Shocking

Loss of access to software after sub expired. No help from support

By on July 23, 2014 4:50:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ian_stagib

Join Date 12/2012

My subscription to object desktop ended in December. I can't ever remember reading somewhere that once the subscription ends that I won't have access to the files for download. In fact, as I am accustomed from any other software that I purchase these days, that the software I buy is available in my account for me to get at any time. 

So the other day now I decided to go grab a few things from my account to spruce up my HTPC and guess what... it says I can't and have to get a subscription. I browsed a bit and other people managed to get support to send them a link to the files. I tried to email support but they were about as helpful as burnt toast and said that I had to get a subscription and couldn't help me. So basically stardock is holding my files, which I paid for, to ransom and there's no way for me to get the files which I frikken bought. So much for actually doing the honest thing and buying your software, guess from now on I know what I'll be doing and recommending other people be doing when it comes to stardock software.. only stardock won't be seeing any of our money.

Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 23, 2014 5:23:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thats a tough one all around.

I remember recently some links set up to get downloads, but they were for current subscribers who paid for the new softwre versions.

You are not un allowed to use your paid for software, but you are expecting that stardock stored it for you, not many software companys save you a back up. That would be your responsibility. If you had all your original files and reg. or keys, you would still be using what you paid for I would assume, but without update availability.

That OD subscription contains continuously updated and changing features like skins and programs, so in actuality, you buy a subscription, get permission to use software and rights to special download privelages and forum access and more. Not really like buying a os disc.

Just my take is all. Maybe you can salvage your already paid for stuff from your files and some external sites with old versions, probably not on the latter though unless you have your reg. files and such. Good luck and 50.00 isn't so bad?

July 23, 2014 6:30:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess you haven't been around Forums since that has been discussed extensively, and not just once.

You are entitled to your version of the licensed software you subscribed to until your subscription expired. Stardock can't keep hundreds of installers on its servers. That's just impossible, and so is devoting manpower and endless hours to such a task as verifying purchases, etc. It's a small company.

So, it was up to you to download the most up-to-date version of your software installer and back it up.

It sounds to me like you never backed up your system because if you had, you'd at least have some version of the software available to you.

Sorry you're choosing to leave Stardock...hope you'll change your mind.

July 23, 2014 6:46:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

I guess you haven't been around Forums since that has been discussed extensively, and not just once.

You are entitled to your version of the licensed software you subscribed to until your subscription expired. Stardock can't keep hundreds of installers on its servers. That's just impossible, and so is devoting manpower and endless hours to such a task as verifying purchases, etc. It's a small company.

So, it was up to you to download the most up-to-date version of your software installer and back it up.

It sounds to me like you never backed up your system because if you had, you'd at least have some version of the software available to you.

Sorry you're choosing to leave Stardock...hope you'll change your mind.

I mentioned in my first post that I was never aware that I wouldn't be able to access my files after my sub ended. I feel that stardock should have made that part perfectly clear with their users, and they didn't. This leads me to believe that they purposefully like forcing their clients into another subscription.

Other software companies would also state that if you purchase their software then you would be entitled to that major version of the software but not the next major versions, and something like that would be easy for stardock to keep track of and provide me with the ability to download the major version I'm entitled to.

This just stinks, especially since when I got my subscription there was constant promise of Windowblinds 8 being released "soon" and I had to wait 6 months of my subscription for the only real reason I wanted the subscription in the first place (and windows 8 had been out for plenty time before that).

If companies like steam and gog and so on can provide me the ability to have my software hosted with them ad infinitum then why can't stardock? Are they such a mickey mouse company that keeping a couple of hundred megs worth of files for a user is gonna break them?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 23, 2014 7:29:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please post your support ticket number.

July 23, 2014 7:49:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can't ever remember reading somewhere that once the subscription ends that I won't have access to the files for download.

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1/112/what-is-an-object-desktop-subscription

July 23, 2014 8:05:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the link, Hank. 

July 23, 2014 8:35:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Hankers,

Please post your support ticket number.

ALC-375-10434

July 23, 2014 8:38:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Hankers,

I can't ever remember reading somewhere that once the subscription ends that I won't have access to the files for download.

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1/112/what-is-an-object-desktop-subscription

having something stated in the knowledgebase doesn't mean that it is clear to the user. If that were the case all of us would be super proficient at everything windows related due to how large their knowledgebase article database is. For something this important I'd expect an email just before the subscription ends reminding us that we should back up our files. In fact, not just one email but a few, which would also go hand in hand with your trying to remind the client to renew their sub.

July 23, 2014 9:00:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It appears you still want to use one or more StarDock programs. If you re-new each year it's only $29.99. Not the $49.99 for a new customer. You get all updates and any new software that may be added to Object Desktop for one year. If one is really interested in customization with a wide variety of programs available stardock is the only way to go.

I understand this doesn't help your present situation. Maybe if you think it over and decide for $29.99 it is a good deal and would like to come back something may be able to be done. If you decide send a ticket and explain you let your sub run out but would like to come back at the renewal price. Don't know if this is policy or would be done but worth a try.

July 23, 2014 9:13:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ian_stagib ...it's unfortunate that you have encountered what actually is a commonly occuring issue, particularly with online purchases.

Any and all such purchases NEED the purchaser to NOT rely on the vendor maintaining/retaining copies of a customer's purchases.  The correct process is that once you have made a purchase you download AND RETAIN copies of the product AND its relevant activations/serials, particularly if such purchase is via a 'subscription' basis which it is intended [at some time] not to continue.

The responsibility is yours, just as it is mine - with my purchases.

The definition of what an Object Desktop Subscription entails is well stated, on the link above [product description], on the Stardock Official Forums, and, if subscribing to Stardock's Newsletter /email notifications  you'd likely be reminded of, and conversant with exactly that.

Your options are one of two.

Resubscribe AND access your software versions/updates,

or,

Approach Stardock via sales@stardock.com and request special consideration in your particular case.

I certainly have had similar situations with third party products over the years.  Sometimes account expiry/renewal deadlines are simply missed. It happens....

July 23, 2014 9:40:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

ian_stagib ...it's unfortunate that you have encountered what actually is a commonly occuring issue, particularly with online purchases.

Any and all such purchases NEED the purchaser to NOT rely on the vendor maintaining/retaining copies of a customer's purchases.  The correct process is that once you have made a purchase you download AND RETAIN copies of the product AND its relevant activations/serials, particularly if such purchase is via a 'subscription' basis which it is intended [at some time] not to continue.

The responsibility is yours, just as it is mine - with my purchases.

The definition of what an Object Desktop Subscription entails is well stated, on the link above [product description], on the Stardock Official Forums, and, if subscribing to Stardock's Newsletter /email notifications  you'd likely be reminded of, and conversant with exactly that.

Your options are one of two.

Resubscribe AND access your software versions/updates,

or,

Approach Stardock via sales@stardock.com and request special consideration in your particular case.

I certainly have had similar situations with third party products over the years.  Sometimes account expiry/renewal deadlines are simply missed. It happens....

When you say it's well stated then you are only pointing out the knowledgebase article. I went back to look at all the emails I've received from stardock since the day I purchased and there is not a single one of them that either stated the fact that I need to make backups or pointing me to that knowledgebase article. So therefore we as clients were not told of this. And as it's not common practice for all distributors to leave the client to handle their backups I think it is only fair that stardock should take that little bit of effort to make sure we understand how they work. That is not unreasonable or unfair to expect.

As for my options, I already asked stardock for some consideration and they thumbed their noses at me. As for resubscribing.. well consider that I'm being held hostage for software I paid for i'm not likely going to give them more money just to say thank you for doing so.

July 23, 2014 9:57:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ian_stagib,

As for resubscribing.. well consider that I'm being held hostage for software I paid for i'm not likely going to give them more money just to say thank you for doing so.

A bizarre way of looking at a subscription.

You did not buy the software. You do not 'own' the software.

You bought a subscription to the software, good for updates one year. Check your receipt and check the Stardock website.

You are entitled to use the version updated to the day your subscription ends. You are entitled to use that version forever.

That's why it's important to save the installer.

Every piece of software on my computer is that way as well, except Adobe PhotoshopCC 2014.

For that, I pay a fee for use monthly.

July 23, 2014 10:01:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ian_stagib , I'm not Stardock Support [or Sales]  but am, like you a Stardock Customer too.  It should not be my place to suggest you were remiss in not actually checking directly yourself as to what would happen 'if' your subscription expired.  To avoid the situation you now find yourself in at any time prior to its expiry you had opportunity to determine that Stardock's Subscription was akin to many others [but as you say, not all others].

How Stardock responds to an individual's case can very much depend on the quality of the approach for consideration.

Were I in a similar circumstance as you I would not have posted such a thread as yours.

Subscriptions to ANYTHING entitle people to ACCESS a product for the DURATION of that subscription.  What they do once the subscription expires is outside the purview of the Service Provider.

July 23, 2014 11:56:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I lost my last two months of Sports Illustrated, and my subscription has expired. Can you believe the twits won't resend the last two issues?

I'll never order their magazine subscription again.   Greedy asswipes.  

July 23, 2014 12:08:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My sub expired awhile ago but I still have access to my software. Why...I save all the installers as backups.

July 23, 2014 3:58:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just a reminder regarding THE 'support' forums.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/328594/page/1/#2546098

There are many [some say TOO many] forum titles/subjects/sections on Stardock's sites....cross-linked and otherwise......however ONE particular one....THIS one here [look up....see the title] is for those poor lost souls [just like you and me at one time] who find themselves 'stuck' and in need of help.

This isn't [and SHOULDN'T] be an opportunity for anyone to entertain themselves at others' expense.

If you cannot provide actual assistance - simply move on.

I do, [and I possibly know more than many...but if I cannot help I leave it to someone who CAN].

Remember...everytime someone's dramas/problems/issues becomes the target/source of facile entertainment it's simply another reminder that we as a Community really CAN do better.

July 25, 2014 5:05:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

ian_stagib , I'm not Stardock Support [or Sales]  but am, like you a Stardock Customer too.  It should not be my place to suggest you were remiss in not actually checking directly yourself as to what would happen 'if' your subscription expired.  To avoid the situation you now find yourself in at any time prior to its expiry you had opportunity to determine that Stardock's Subscription was akin to many others [but as you say, not all others].

How Stardock responds to an individual's case can very much depend on the quality of the approach for consideration.

Were I in a similar circumstance as you I would not have posted such a thread as yours.

Subscriptions to ANYTHING entitle people to ACCESS a product for the DURATION of that subscription.  What they do once the subscription expires is outside the purview of the Service Provider.

I tried to be nice first, then they weren't nice back, now I'm upset. Being more nice won't help any more.

July 25, 2014 5:12:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@redneckdude and @uvah, so very helpful you are. @redneckdude, how's this... i have subscriptions to magazines too, they're in zinio... they're expired and oh wait I can't still get them any time I want, I just don't get new magazines. Shame, guess you're all in the dark there.

Regardless of what others have as their opinions on what subscription software should and shouldn't do, there is clearly a lack of worldwide understanding of this and I would think that if stardock cared about taking more of my money then they could care to take it seriously when I say it's only fair to make it abundantly clear how their company works so that we don't get it confused with anyone else.

The fact that I haven't gotten any official response or any attempt to help me after I feel I've made a pretty clear and honest case about this also goes to show what I could expect from stardock if I even entertained the idea of renewing my sub. Thus my stance remains the same and I will warn everyone I come across to not buy their products anymore.

July 25, 2014 6:47:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

i

I doubt you really understand this. This is the current situation of Stardock,unless otherwise.  

July 25, 2014 7:13:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ian_stagib,

Regardless of what others have as their opinions on what subscription software should and shouldn't do, there is clearly a lack of worldwide understanding of this and I would think that if stardock cared about taking more of my money then they could care to take it seriously when I say it's only fair to make it abundantly clear how their company works so that we don't get it confused with anyone else.

1. There is an official Stardock policy: Not an "opinion".

2. That you didn't know it doesn't mean anything except you ASSUMED, but did not check.

3. There is no "clearly a lack of worldwide understanding". It is you who don't know/understand. I'd leave the rest of humanity out of it. It is also you who refuse to acknowledge that you caused your own situation by not following the policy more than adequately explained here in Forums in the past. You also refuse to understand the difference between 'owning' software and having a 'subscription' to update and use the software. 

Stardock is not responsible for that. While I regret your upset, you should (to prevent further future 'misunderstandings') ask questions before purchasing a subscription. Threatening to badmouth Stardock for your not bothering to check things before purchase really is silly.

July 25, 2014 8:00:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Re-subscribe, only 2.50 a month broke down, really a good subscription.

A giant package of pc beautification!

Someone has to use my skins, c'mon, re-subscribe.

Also, then you can save some backups for next time,lol, with you, not at you, okay.

July 25, 2014 8:37:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ian_stagib,

The fact that I haven't gotten any official response or any attempt to help me after I feel I've made a pretty clear and honest case about this also goes to show what I could expect from stardock if I even entertained the idea of renewing my sub. Thus my stance remains the same and I will warn everyone I come across to not buy their products anymore.

ian_stagib, to be fair you HAVE had official response from Stardock [mine] with regards to how a subscription service functions, AND you have had recommendations as to an APPROPRIATE course of action to possibly resolve your issue in this particular instance.

None of this condones your intention to 'warn everyone to not buy [Stardock's] their products anymore' as that is simply a knee-jerk reaction to your own personal failing to ensure your product access was continuing beyond a subscription expiry date.

That is simply unfair, inflamatory and unjustified.

I subsequently [earlier] suggested you contact Stardock sales/support [again] directly for possible assistance...however there has been no indication of your so doing.

I cannot condone the use of Stardock's forums for the UNREASONABLE and unjustified vilification of Stardock in this instance.

If you still feel suitably aggrieved I suggest you contact legal@stardock.com to engage in formal argument.

July 25, 2014 9:18:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This thread serves no purpose.

Any help or inquiries about subscriptions can be handled through support.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.