One of the most annoying messages you can get in Windows is this one:
“The action can’t be completed because the folder or a file is open in another program
Close the folder or file and try again.”
The source or destination file may be in use
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
The file is in use by another program or user
There has been a sharing violation
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
Well, File Governor (32 and 64 bit) is available in portable and in MSI versions and it will show you each file/folder is shown with the process name, linked object process path, type and handle. As opposed to Unlocker (last updated a year ago), it’s updated regularly. It’s also free.
Then it gives you the choice of 3 actions:
“It is possible to kill the process or processes that lock the file or folder, or use the unlock buttons instead which performs other operations such as unloading dll files so that you get full access to the files or folders again.
You can right-click on a line instead for additional options. Here you can for instance look up the file on Virustotal or perform a search for it on the Google search engine.
Other options include opening the local program folder or file properties. All of these options can be useful in analyzing the issue further before you use the unlock or kill option provided.
You can use the settings to add an entry to Windows Explorer's context menu so that you can run File Governor comfortably selecting it, use the utilities menu to open core Windows administrative programs such as the Task Manager or Registry Editor, or use the program's own tools menu forcefully delete selected files directly or on reboot.” – gHacks
Key features and characteristics
- Unblock files and folders locked by other applications
- Terminate processes that lock a file or folder
- Scan files and folders for locked objects
- Close opened handles and unload loaded DLL modules
- Unload DLL modules loaded in running processes
- Unlock all locked objects with a single mouse click
- Scan files and folders through the Windows explorer context menu
- Safely delete a locked file on the next reboot
- A valid and powerful alternative to the popular Unlocker
- Run it from the USB flash drive with the portable version
- The application can be translated into multiple languages
- Supports all Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Very lightweight in the memory and CPU usage
also the software home page.