Return from 2020: Super Cruise Control

By on July 1, 2014 12:32:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

The time machine worked like a charm (this time anyway) and I got to spend a few hours in 2020.

Things haven’t changed nearly as much as I imagined (I was hoping for Amazon delivery drones, but alas, none to be found).  But my friend drove me up north and showed off a relatively new feature on his BMW: Super Cruise.

Now, admittedly, I had hoped there would be self-driving cars by then but apparently they still aren’t a thing in 2020 which was a big bummer.  However, most of the high end cards do have Super Cruiser (different companies call it different things – Ford calls theirs “Smart Cruise”).

Anyway, the way it works is that you get on a highway, get to the speed you want and set “Super Cruise” which will then keep you on the road at that speed, in that lane and handle acceleration and deceleration as well as steering.  It only works on certain highways under certain conditions (all GPS / road condition based – which has come a long way) but otherwise it’s pretty neat.

I wasn’t there long but if anyone has any questions on 2020 I’ll try my best to answer. Smile

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 1, 2014 12:38:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
...I wasn’t there long but if anyone has any questions on 2020 I’ll try my best to answer.

The Draginol!

While Super Cruise is engaged, do the driver and passenger seats rotate 180° to take care of the "Are we there yet" creatures?

July 1, 2014 12:46:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Primal_Savage,

quoting post...I wasn’t there long but if anyone has any questions on 2020 I’ll try my best to answer.

The Draginol!

While Super Cruise is engaged, do the driver and passenger seats rotate 180° to take care of the "Are we there yet" creatures?

Not in the car I was in.  It was a BMW i5.  I'm not really a car guy. Do they even make those yet?

July 1, 2014 12:53:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is there a traditional windshield or have they perfected a video so you can watch the roads backwards.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 1, 2014 12:55:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Not in the car I was in.  It was a BMW i5.  I'm not really a car guy. Do they even make those yet?

No idea, let me exercise my Google Fu...

Concept car...

July 1, 2014 12:56:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How do people communicate? (In 2020, not in the BMW...)

July 1, 2014 12:59:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What kind of filter did the ventilation system have for keeping out the radioactive dust covering the entire world? What kind of technology was used to keep the tires from going flat while driving over fields of bones? Also, how did you even get permission to "own" a car from our sentient machine overlords - you're not a collaborator, are you? Mr. AI programmer?

July 1, 2014 1:03:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uh oh......busted!

July 1, 2014 1:05:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who's the new Overlord?

EDIT: Doh, I guess Heavenfall edit actually answers this.

July 1, 2014 1:08:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Putting cars aside: how strategy games look like in 2020? I'm interested in both turn-based and RTS games. And do people still play Counter Strike 1.6?

Also: which programming language is the most popular in game development in 2020?

July 1, 2014 4:12:39 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Also: which programming language is the most popular in game development in 2020?

At Oxide, we used C++ in 2020.

July 1, 2014 4:49:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheRealWarpstorm,
At Oxide, we used C++ in 2020.

For making engine I guess. But what about other stuff, like AI, game logic, scripts, etc.

July 1, 2014 6:30:21 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

For making engine I guess. But what about other stuff, like AI, game logic, scripts, etc.

For everything, except for graphics shaders, IIRC.  C++ is a great choice for AI and game logic, why would you want those parts to run slowly?

July 1, 2014 7:08:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wasn’t there long but if anyone has any questions on 2020 I’ll try my best to answer.

What are the winning numbers for next week's lottery?

July 1, 2014 7:47:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How has this affected car accs and congestions?

July 1, 2014 11:58:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Do I still have my hair?

July 2, 2014 12:19:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is Al Gore still bloviating?

July 2, 2014 1:21:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If I wanted to remove myself from the 'joys' of driving I'd get a chauffeur...

Reason I bought my 9-3 Aero Convertible is because I can drive it......fast....wind in the hair...bugs in the teeth....

....when I have neither I'll give it away [the driving]...

July 2, 2014 1:56:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay competition!

I wonder if those screeching tire sounds were added later...

July 2, 2014 3:42:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For everything, except for graphics shaders, IIRC.  C++ is a great choice for AI and game logic, why would you want those parts to run slowly?

As far as I know people use different languages than C/C++ for non-engine stuff because it's faster to write and debug.

In C to iterate though an array/list you have to:

Code: c++
  1. for(i = 0, s = sizeof(an_array); i < s; i++)
  2. {
  3.     printf("%s\n", an_array[i]); // you have to worry that type is it
  4. }

In Python:

1. for item in a_list:
  2.     print(item) # you don't care what type is it

When you have to change values between two variables in C you have to:

1. temp = var1
  2. var1 = var2
  3. var2 = temp

In Python:

1. var1, var2 = var2, var1

Etc. 

So writing in C takes longer, and it's more susceptible to little mistakes. I know that C/C++ is way faster and memory efficient than Python. That's why Python could be used in less demanding areas as scripting, or whatever. Or am I mistaken?

July 2, 2014 7:44:29 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Python is a great language, I've used it on many things in the past.  If you can live with the perf hit, go for it.  We choose not to.

July 2, 2014 7:55:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If memory serves EVE Online is written in stackless python.

July 2, 2014 3:45:45 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 11
> For making engine I guess. But what about other stuff, like AI, game logic, scripts, etc.

I agree with TheRealWarpstorm.  C++ is a terrific language, and it's very useful for a lot of game logic / AI / UI / tools stuff as well.

I've used a lot of interpreted languages and text-based scripting languages over the years (standardized ones, like Lua, plus a lot of customized, proprietary scripting languages I've ended up having to use for different projects), and it's always been a net negative.  You end up missing out on the debugging and profiling tools that a standardized programming language provides, and you often end up paying a performance penalty.

I've also seen some horror stories of teams that tried to make proprietary languages that ended up basically being just programming languages, or that tried to integrate alternative languages into another code base in ways that didn't pan out in the long run.

My team is using C++ in Unreal Engine 4, and we're also using UE4's "Blueprint" visual scripting system for a lot of the more scriptable elements.  We only do ~5-10% of our work in Blueprint (we expect it to grow to 15-20%) but it ends up being a real time-saver for design-centric and art-centric tasks since it's type-safe and tightly integrated into the engine.

TL;DR: Secondary languages often seem like a good idea at the start but there's a lot more risk and benefit there than you'd think.

July 2, 2014 7:38:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting stuff guys. So nothing is going to replace C++ in gaming in foreseeable future?

July 2, 2014 7:43:45 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Interesting stuff guys. So nothing is going to replace C++ in gaming in foreseeable future?

It's not going away anytime soon, but there are some other options for sure.  It depends what your game is, what engine you want to use, and what platforms you're targeting.  Unity uses C# and JS and a few other things, some iOS games are written in Objective-C, and I know C# and a few others are still popular outside of that.  You can also make entire games in Unreal Engine 4 Blueprint.

July 2, 2014 7:50:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks. What about Python (I'm currently learning Python, that's why I'm interested)?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.