How do I create ExplorerFrame.dll navigation buttons?

By on June 13, 2014 9:56:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

AeroFTW

Join Date 06/2014

I'm making a Windows 7 theme, and as a flat, metro-inspired theme, it's not very complex. With that said, I couldn't find any ExplorerFrame.dll's from other themes that would match this one. I'm trying to make my own explorer buttons, but it's apparently more complicated than I thought. I know how to extract and save the bitmaps from the dll and everything. The issue is actually creating the images themselves in photoshop. I don't know how to keep some parts of the button (i.e., everything but the arrow) translucent while keeping the arrow opaque white. I've heard terms like "alpha channel" and "alpha layer" thrown around when I was googling this, but I don't really know anything about that. All I got out of the few tutorials on alpha channels was that it's a way to save selections. That doesn't even seem relevant. When I tried to re-insert my bmp into the dll, I got a floating point error.  Anyway, what I'm going for is a translucent blue square with an opaque white arrow in the middle. 

Help, or even a tutorial, would be really appreciated!

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 13, 2014 10:16:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been designing Windowblinds skins for many years, but I have no idea what you are talking about. ExplorerFrame.dll's?

Are you designing your skin using SkinStudio 8? 

June 14, 2014 1:01:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-replace-explorerframe-dll/

June 14, 2014 1:44:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Folks in here mostly create skin with Skinstudio which a commercial skinning product. The way you are seeking should hover somewhere else that skinning in MS theme (.dll) which intruded the system file.  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 14, 2014 8:54:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, between the two of them gevansmd and Gaspershooters got it, but this site does not promote or offer assistance in the hacking of system .dll files. May I suggest your using SkinStudio and Windowblinds, they do not hack any system files and they are much easier to use. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.