windows 8.1 x64 bug

By on June 12, 2014 12:32:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

adelphiom

Join Date 11/2011

The animations stop working after about an hour. All other functions still work though.

Turning windowsFX off then on again usually resolves the problem. Though sometimes it doesn't and a restart is required.

Please Help

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 12, 2014 1:06:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Same here. Dunno why.

June 12, 2014 5:41:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What graphics card do you have?

June 12, 2014 6:48:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm sure you're talking to the OP, but I have two Nvidia GTX 650 cards and 4 monitors. 12 GB ram.

For me it is sporadic, not happening all the time.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 16, 2014 4:44:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can also confirm this behavior on Windows 8.1 Pro. The animations; all of them, stop working without warning. Dragging a window form causes it to completely render 100% transparent until mouse release when the form reappears. This started a few weeks ago which makes me wonder if either a Microsoft Update or Graphic driver is overwriting a WindowFX dependency.

Stopping (Off) the "WindowFX Features" restores the functionality however restarting the WindowFX Windows Service does not.

* WindowFX 5.12

* Sabertooth x79; 64GB RAM INTEL i7-3930K

* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti driver 5/19/2014 9.18.13.3788

June 20, 2014 12:23:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Intel HD Graphics 3000

July 2, 2014 7:59:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not certain why Stardock would not respond to paying customers over such a simple issue; however, I will post how I fixed this and send Stardock my support bill.

The issue does seem to be Windows libraries on which WindowFX depends that are overwritten by an update or driver installation. I reinstalled WindowFX and the issue did not repeat until a recent Microsoft update after which I reinstalled WindowFX again and the proper functionality was restored and has remained so.

Perhaps the Stardock coders should deploy these DLL versions into a special folder (similar to the concept of the GAC) not overwritten by updates.

July 3, 2014 3:15:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nicholas59246,

Not certain why Stardock would not respond to paying customers over such a simple issue; however, I will post how I fixed this and send Stardock my support bill.

The issue does seem to be Windows libraries on which WindowFX depends that are overwritten by an update or driver installation. I reinstalled WindowFX and the issue did not repeat until a recent Microsoft update after which I reinstalled WindowFX again and the proper functionality was restored and has remained so.

Perhaps the Stardock coders should deploy these DLL versions into a special folder (similar to the concept of the GAC) not overwritten by updates.

The only libraries we would install and rely on would be some Direct3D (D3DX*) ones, but they are ones which there is only one version of as Microsoft changes the filename each version and our installer wouldn't replace them if they existed.

Perhaps uninstalling some other product deleted them by mistake?

Though we also include them in our program directory so they should be loading up fine even if the OS ones were deleted.

The other case where it would go wrong would be if someone installed WindowFX on 32 bit and copied the install to a 64 bit install as the wrong versions would be included.  Likewise if someone were to install the 32 bit libraries to the 64 bit system32 directory.

But in both those cases the animations would simply not work at all.  The only explanation for them stopping working over time would be a leak in some component and that would probably be in a video driver.  Our usage is very different to a game and we reuse Direct3D devices with very long time gaps in between usage.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.