No longer functions after latest windows 8.1 update

By on June 11, 2014 1:21:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

kenruben

Join Date 04/2013

After the latest windows update this evening, Window Blinds would no longer allow Windows 8.1 to complete the boot up process.  All I would get is a black screen.  After booting to safe mode and changing Window Blinds to the default theme could I get Windows 8.1 to complete the boot up.  After I got Windows to boot up, I changed my theme back, then none of my programs would run including Photoshop CS6 and Office 2013.  I had to change the theme back to default.  Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 11, 2014 5:03:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please check that you have WB 8.05 installed as it had a fix for an issue with an optional update.

June 13, 2014 2:09:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With an issue as critical as "will prevent your computer booting" (I just spent two days with sfc, dism, system restore, and all manner of other stuff before narrowing it down to WindowBlinds) wouldn't it be a good idea to somehow notify customers of this issue?  I realise that's a little challenging, but not everyone updates their addon software the instant an update is available while Windows will transparently apply its own updates without your involvement - so people are going to run into issues like this.

June 13, 2014 4:34:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kyanar,

With an issue as critical as "will prevent your computer booting" (I just spent two days with sfc, dism, system restore, and all manner of other stuff before narrowing it down to WindowBlinds) wouldn't it be a good idea to somehow notify customers of this issue?  I realise that's a little challenging, but not everyone updates their addon software the instant an update is available while Windows will transparently apply its own updates without your involvement - so people are going to run into issues like this.

I am sorry you had problems.

The update on Windows Update is an optional one (or certainly was when the WB update went out) which is why we have so few reports and the WB update should have been telling people every week about the update.  In fact if your build was sufficiently old it prompted you every hour due to a small bug in the earlier releases update checking code.  Unfortunately we have no ability in the builds to show a message other than there is an update out.  In the future I believe this capability is being built in to the update system but that will require another WB update.

The instant we became aware of the issue we put out the update.  On the one hand auto installing updates would be a good thing, on the other I know how irritating it is for apps to require a reboot all of a sudden.  It is an exceptional event indeed for a Windows Update to trigger a compatibility issue of that nature with WindowBlinds, it was an unexpected change on the MS side which exposed a bug in some code in the 64 bit version which didn't correctly handle it.

For future reference if you hold down the ctrl key when logging in you will find WindowBlinds is disabled, or safe mode would also do the same thing.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 13, 2014 11:00:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have similar issue after latest Windows Update. Applying/starting up with WindowBlinds causes my screen to flash and alternate between the desktop and the tile (Metro) interface. I'm using the latest 8.5 version of WindowBlinds. Only able to use PC if default skin is used or WB disabled. Hope you find a fix soon.

June 14, 2014 4:55:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ufotofu,

I have similar issue after latest Windows Update. Applying/starting up with WindowBlinds causes my screen to flash and alternate between the desktop and the tile (Metro) interface. I'm using the latest 8.5 version of WindowBlinds. Only able to use PC if default skin is used or WB disabled. Hope you find a fix soon.

What version does WindowBlinds say in the about box?

June 14, 2014 11:11:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The about box says 8.04 but Stardock Central says 8.05. Looks like it didn't update properly. When I refresh SC it doesn't show an available download for WB.

Downloaded & installed 8.05. Everything okey, dokey now . Thanks Neil.

June 14, 2014 8:26:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I already had 8.05 installed and it did this to me after this week's Windows 8.1 update.  I uninstalled and Windows worked again.  I am hesitant to load Window Blinds back again.

June 14, 2014 8:42:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting davet15156,

I already had 8.05 installed and it did this to me after this week's Windows 8.1 update.  I uninstalled and Windows worked again.  I am hesitant to load Window Blinds back again.

Are you sure it was 8.05 and not the same issue with files Ufotofu had?

8.05 should work just fine.

June 15, 2014 3:37:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It was definitely 8.05.  I double-checked the version before I uninstalled.

June 15, 2014 4:26:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting davet15156,

It was definitely 8.05.  I double-checked the version before I uninstalled.

Did you check in WindowBlinds or did you check the version shown in SDC / ObjectDesktop Manager?

June 18, 2014 2:49:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would install 8.05, if had any registrations left? Why do you guys have "log in", when you use this rather old school "8 registrations, then youre screwed if youre support guy isnt really nice and reset them for ya"? Look at the system they have with Daemon Tools Pro, there you can keep track on all youre installations in youre profile page, and then "un-register" if you want to or have to re-install windows from scratch. This way youre customers, or rather, paying customers, wouldnt feel so cheated and annoyed so they go and download the software illegally just because its easier and faster...?

Please can someone reset my WB8 regs, they are all gone because i had several bad win8.1 installations... Same with my Start8 registrations?

I cant install WB 8.05 without the help, and I cant use the cracked version (which i would If I could just so I dont have to come here and beg)?

Thx.

June 18, 2014 3:11:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

SisuPower303 ...Stardock's "support guy"/s ARE "really nice" and at this stage it is required system that registration resets are manual [after request].  It's equally problematic if one would need to 'un-register' prior to a reinstall after a system issue as typically that same issue would likely get in the way of the process.

I'd suggest waiting for the requsted reset from Support and preferably avoid references to potential warez use...

June 18, 2014 4:30:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thx youre propably right!? Lets hope so...

June 18, 2014 6:29:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, that's what happened to my laptop!

It was fine on Friday night, then Saturday morning (I don't turn it off every night) all I had was a black screen. My browser was open so I didn't notice it right away until I went looking for my start button and realized I had no taskbar. I spent hours trying to figure it out, going into safemode, checking for viruses.

Finally ended up using my restore disc to set it back to factory settings, lost a few programs, and forgot to export my firefox bookmarks. I didn't know what else to do, so thanks for this post as it would never have crossed my mind that it was an issue with Windowblinds that caused the problem.

June 18, 2014 6:36:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting karmat,

It was fine on Friday night, then Saturday morning (I don't turn it off every night) all I had was a black screen. My browser was open so I didn't notice it right away until I went looking for my start button and realized I had no taskbar. I spent hours trying to figure it out, going into safemode, checking for viruses.

Finally ended up using my restore disc to set it back to factory settings, lost a few programs, and forgot to export my firefox bookmarks. I didn't know what else to do, so thanks for this post as it would never have crossed my mind that it was an issue with Windowblinds that caused the problem.

What version of WB did you have installed?

It sounds like you didn't install 8.05 or if you did it had an issue during install and failed to replace files.

June 18, 2014 7:55:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting karmat, reply 14

What version of WB did you have installed?

It sounds like you didn't install 8.05 or if you did it had an issue during install and failed to replace files.

At this point, I have no idea which version I had, probably not a newer one as I've been working non-stop for the past month and a half on an election so everything has been put on the backburner.

It was a pain to go through, but my laptop is nice and clean now!

June 18, 2014 12:41:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had the same problem after an optional Win 8.1 update. However, after looking it up on my other computer I found that about 50% of the people who did the update had this happen. I finally managed to boot into the troubleshooter and got it fixed. As much as I love WB I would find it really hard to believe that the 50% who had this happen after the update all had Windowblinds!  

September 13, 2014 7:48:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have posted this problem in another thread, but if I had seen this thread first, I would have posted it here.  I have had the same problem.  I do have the latest version of WindowBlinds, version 8.06.  I am having MAJOR problems with WindowBlinds since the last few updates came out for Windows 8.1 in August and September. This morning I tried to install some updates from Windows Update, and I almost thought I was going to have to wipe out my hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch! My computer would not finish booting up -- it would start to load the desktop, and then it would keep flashing up a blue screen and then starting over loading the desktop. I couldn't even get System Restore to work! At first I wasn't even able to reboot in Safe Mode. After tinkering for a long time, I finally managed to get into Safe Mode. I could tell that it seemed to be when the taskbar changed colors, as it does when WindowBlinds loads, that the system was hanging. So, purely on a hunch as an act of desperation, I removed all of my Stardock software (Start8, ModernMix, Fences, and WindowBlinds) and then restarted my computer. That worked -- it booted up normally. So I decided to reinstall the Stardock applications one by one, to see which one was causing the problem. Start8, ModernMix, and Fences all worked just fine. But as soon I tried to reload WindowBlinds, the problems started again. Thankfully, this time, I was able to get into Safe Mode right away, uninstall WindowBlinds, and restart my computer. It came up fine after WindowBlinds was uninstalled So obviously, WindowBlinds is what is causing the problem.

I've had WindowBlinds on my computer for quite a long time, and I never had any problems with it until around August. So I feel sure that something from Windows Update has created a compatibility problem that wasn't there before.  I did create a support ticket about it, #UGJ-662-24855.

September 18, 2014 11:02:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am using Win 8.1 here, fully updated Windows and Window Blind 8.06 and Windows FX 5.15 won't let me register the products as you click on it, it just stuck of 3 choices of Trial/ Purchase Key/Enter Product Key, so can't close it either with X, I gotta go Task Master and End it. I CAN register/Log in Cursor FX Plus and Stardock Central no problems. I hope there a fix Soon amd all started in Aug 2014. 8.1 Themes DULL boring!

September 18, 2014 11:40:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ksubzero - Please start a support ticket here - http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.