Nothing works after installing

I can't even open control panel to uninstall

By on May 17, 2014 11:44:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

maureenstadnik

Join Date 12/2012

I'm having so much trouble since installing Object Desktop!! I cannot even open my control panel to uninstall - I have a "black" box and that's it. I can't use PC settings - i.e., cannot access system restore. I'm now worried that after all of this I'm going to have to take my PC in to a professional just to get rid of this program. Can anyone help me please!!! The trouble seemed to have started when I tried using the theme manager. I'm VERY VERY sorry I purchased this program and just want to get rid of it! I like Start8 and Decor8 and maybe fences but the rest I would like to remove. Any help is very much appreciated!!

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 17, 2014 11:52:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you running Windows 8 or 8.1 update 1? After the install did you reboot your PC? Also...what programs are giving you problems? If its Windowblinds you need to reboot after the install. Another thing to do is email support@stardock.com with a reference to this thread.

May 17, 2014 12:40:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I know that I have Windows 8.1, not sure about the update 1 part. On my laptop now since desktop is essentially non-functional. I did email stardock support but didn't come and post a thread until after emailing them. I actually installed the program several days ago and only started trying to play with some of the individual pieces today. I had used a them from wincustomize and didn't like it so tried to apply the "Mint" theme instead and then went into deskscapes to change my desktop background and that's when everything hit the fan. I know that I rebooted after install and I have rebooted several times today with no luck.

May 17, 2014 12:53:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

See if this thread relates to you. If you've installed  Optional update KB2955164 and are not using the latest version of WB's (8.05), you will have what you describe. 

Hold Ctrl while logging on to bypass WB then either uninstall that update or update to the newest version of WB's available in your account page.

Reboot and see if that has fixed it.

P.S. You are better off just using each programs UI to apply skins. Theme Manager is flakier than Granny's biscuits. You'll never get consistent results using it. (or trying to)

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 17, 2014 2:06:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think it's something like what is referred to in the thread you referenced - but also I can't close programs, can't move windows, can't open PC settings, can't open control panel, can't open task manager... almost nothing works and that which does work doesn't work normally. When I get back to my computer I will try updating window blinds. How do I "undo" the application of theme manager?

May 17, 2014 2:51:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting maureenstadnik,
How do I "undo" the application of theme manager?
Once you get WB's squared away, open Theme Manager and select the Default Windows Theme and apply it.

May 17, 2014 3:40:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also what you can do is uninstall Theme Manager as it doesn't work correctly. Then go to your account page and download ObjectDesktop Manager which replaces it. That one works.

May 17, 2014 4:02:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
ObjectDesktop Manager which replaces it.
That is incorrect. ObjectDesktop Manager is a software updater/management app for the apps included in ODNT.

Theme Manager is was a "All in one solution" for applying skins to your desktop as a suite. Not the same animal at all.

May 17, 2014 4:14:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay...I sit corrected.

May 17, 2014 8:54:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you, thank you. I think I fixed it. I downloaded the new version of Window Blinds and that seemed to fix the biggest of the problems and I also figured out that the "default" windows theme is just the windows aero theme. Whew... so relieved!

May 17, 2014 9:10:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting maureenstadnik,
I think I fixed it.

That's good to hear. In the future I suggest using each apps interface to apply skins  and icons. Theme Manager is sitting in drydock rotting away in Plymouth. That boat won't float.

BTW,  no need to avoid using WindowBlinds, it is kept well updated so any issues that arise are quickly dealt with. Additionally, almost everything else in ObjectDesktop works reasonably well on Win8.1 so have fun and enjoy your software.

May 18, 2014 6:15:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good to hear. Glad to welcome another newbie to the ranks. Now go play.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000421   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.