Virtual desktops

Looking to create mutliple desktops on the same PC

By on May 17, 2014 8:21:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

V

Join Date 03/2006

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for some software that allows me to create multiple desktops aka virtual desktops on the same PC. For those of you that may be unfamiliar with this, I'll try to explain what I mean in a way that hopefully makes sense.

So, for example, once windows loads, the main desktop appears (you can choose which is the main one). Then you can switch between desktops in various ways depending on the software you're using to bring across a new desktop.

Do any of you know of and/or recommend/have any personal experience with virtual desktops that you'd be willing to share please?

Thanks

Edit:

I probably should have made it clearer that I'm aware of a number of software options that offer some of what I'm looking for, I'm just interested in peoples personal experiences/opinions on any that they've used.

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 17, 2014 9:17:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
May 17, 2014 11:51:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks.

May 17, 2014 4:32:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If anyone else is feeling generous with their time, reading your thoughts on any virtual desktop software you have used would be greatly appreciated

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 19, 2014 1:39:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dexpot is actually pretty good (for a Windows VWM) and it also has some nice eyecandy features.

http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

on Windows RabidVWM for LiteStep is my personal favorite, but that's really not for everybody (this includes you )

May 26, 2014 8:12:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post your reply's here, it's greatly appreciated 

On the off chance that anyone else is reading this/is interested, I'll mention that most of the software that I've tried works quite well, although some are more clunky and limited than others. I found Dexpot to be among the better ones (thanks moshi).

I'll also mention that I use Deskscapes and Fences, and so far, they seem to work quite well with the virtual desktop software. However, I'm unable to e.g. have different dream backgrounds for the different desktops which is a shame.

Also, I'm unable to use web browsers the way I'd like to in the different desktops. I'll try to explain what I mean. For example, lets say I have a web browser open in desktop 1 with multiple tabs, (lets call them A through to F). Then in desktop 2 I have the same web browser open also with with multiple tabs, although this time they're different tabs, (G through to N).

Upon launch, the browser is set to open the windows and tabs from the last session. What happens when I'm using virtual desktops is that only in desktop 1 does the browser open the tabs from last time, launching the browser from any of the other desktops doesn't, and that's some functionality that I'd be interested in.

The closest I've got to what I'm looking for is setting up multiple accounts on the same PC and switching between them, but I'd much prefer being able to remain in one account and have the functionality I've described. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that can provide me with this (at least not on Windows).

Anyway, thanks again everyone

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.