Themes do not work with new firefox (v29.0.1)

By on May 13, 2014 6:34:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

luukvth

Join Date 01/2014
+1

With pretty much all the themes for WindowBlinds, the tabs in new firefox are unreadable. A few days ago my firefox got updated to version 29, and it has major interface changes. So now I wonder is this a theme problem, or a firefox problem, or windowblinds problem?

And how to solve this.

This is what I mean with 'tabs are unreadable':

This same problem occurs with numerous other themes.

I am using:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
WindowBlinds 8.04 (025 - Windows 7 Edition) - 64 bit OS
Theme from screenshot: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/8040/

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 13, 2014 6:51:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Obviously it would be an impossible mission for the windowblinds devs to make sure it´s 100% compatible with every future update of any program / software etc.

My advise is to Exclude FireFox from being skinned in Windowblinds settings or simply change FF version or Browser completely 

May 13, 2014 7:02:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

By the looks of it that's a theme issue.

It has a dark top part of a titlebar and then a lighter bottom area.

Other skins such as Corporate which comes with WB work just fine because they were designed with glassy areas in mind.

I wouldn't be shocked to discover they hardcoded black text for the inactive tab text though which if it is the case would be a firefox issue.  Their text becomes invisible on Windows 8 with the default OS theme if you set your frame colour to black too.

May 13, 2014 10:05:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think it had something to do with the transparent tabs in firefox. Anyway I installed an addon called 'Classic Theme Restorer', that did the trick

So anyway this is a good solution for now. But we are talking about firefox here, not some 'any program/software update' neone6 was referring to. I dont know if im the only one here with this problem, but I guess WB needs to update in order to be compatible with the new firefox version which  about 25% of all people connected in the world are using to browse the web, dont you think so?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 13, 2014 10:21:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting luukvth,

I think it had something to do with the transparent tabs in firefox. Anyway I installed an addon called 'Classic Theme Restorer', that did the trick

So anyway this is a good solution for now. But we are talking about firefox here, not some 'any program/software update' neone6 was referring to. I dont know if im the only one here with this problem, but I guess WB needs to update in order to be compatible with the new firefox version which  about 25% of all people connected in the world are using to browse the web, dont you think so?

As explained above, the problem is not WindowBlinds.

The theme you were using was not designed for glassy titlebars and the app unfortunately looks like it may have hardcoded black for text on inactive tabs.  This means no dark theme will work right with Firefox, but again that's not a WB issue, that's a design choice by the Firefox devs.

May 13, 2014 4:10:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am using "Diamond" Stardock theme and after Firefox update buttons that close and minimize window disappear when browser is windowed:

Also some white edges appear on the sides.

I've excluded Firefox in WB settings but it only helped with fixing those buttons on fullscreen mode. Only changing the theme (some work, some don't) or unloading WB completely works on windowed mode.

Is there any way to fix this temporarily?

May 13, 2014 4:42:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ViridianD,

I am using "Diamond" Stardock theme and after Firefox update buttons that close and minimize window disappear when browser is windowed:

Also some white edges appear on the sides.

I've excluded Firefox in WB settings but it only helped with fixing those buttons on fullscreen mode. Only changing the theme (some work, some don't) or unloading WB completely works on windowed mode.

Is there any way to fix this temporarily?

Under no circumstances must you exclude firefox from WB.  Doing so will break things as you have seen.

Make sure you are not using any custom firefox themes as they could impact things.  By the looks of it your firefox is not stock.

Generally speaking firefox is happiest with a theme with a titlebar that's not too tall.

Having checked here with diamond I see no issues with the titlebar buttons when maximized.  They appear just fine, though when maximized the black inactive tab text is a pain, but again that appears to be a poor design decision by the firefox team.

Edit: One option is to enable the titlebar option in firefox by right clicking the titlebar and picking customize and clicking the Titlebar button at the bottom left.

May 13, 2014 6:16:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Edit: One option is to enable the titlebar option in firefox by right clicking the titlebar and picking customize and clicking the Titlebar button at the bottom left.

This actually worked, thanks a lot. Yeah i am using FT DeepDark theme because stock "Australis" (or w/e its called) theme is too bright and generally looks bad in my opinion

Unfortunately bottom part of the window appears completely transparent when titlebar and FT DeepDark are enabled which is also annoying. On the bright side - Australis and Diamond theme work fine together - i don't see any issues with inactive browser tabs.

May 13, 2014 6:23:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Under no circumstances must you exclude firefox from WB.
Oops, my bad 

May 26, 2014 3:03:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had an issue with Firefox 29.0.1 and Windowblinds 8.0.5 that seems to only creep up when I access the computer via logmein remotely.

Firefox would open but would be totally blank -- I could alt - key and access tabs and the url box but nothing would display.. I enabled the "title bar" this allowed firefox to 'render' and I could access the tabs opened and url box but the areas below the title bar where "clear" .. solution was to install a 3rd party theme on Firefox instead of default.

July 9, 2014 12:46:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I haven't found any workarounds that will display the titlebar correctly; at least if I want to use my favorite Firefox and WindowBlinds themes.  For now, I reverted back to Firefox 28.

Does anyone know if Stardock is working on a patch that fixes this issue in the next WindowBlinds beta?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.