Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

What I've Been Up To....

By on May 9, 2014 8:40:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo

Join Date 03/2001
+929

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B58-2D-pit-4.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	8037

It's a photo....re-jigged and made 'functioning' as a 2D cockpit for a Convair B-58 Hustler ....the thing we have to thank for all those horrendous 'Yank-tank finned things' [cars] of the '60s.  It was worth its weight in gold...way back then...

It's a 2D 'pit for the Glowingheat release of the '58 for FSX.   So far it's been about 4 days - of hunting down suitable detail/info... and tweaking a photograph to be a functioning '3-D' animation with gauges, knobs, etc...

Still more to do... but the intent is to end up with a weathered/ functioning cockpit that's pretty faithful to the real creature...

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 9, 2014 11:35:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dang, lotsa dials!    

May 9, 2014 12:56:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I was about 8 or 9 I built a plastic model of the Hustler...man, that jet was a nuclear bomber as well. I thought it was the coolest thing EVER.

It had the look of swift lethality...

May 9, 2014 2:17:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Got more flippin' patience than I have... all that fiddly stuff 'd likely send me over the edge.  Yup, I'd use a few f words, rant a bit before using a few more, and then I'd ring somebody [think nice young men in their clean white coats] to come pick me up before I went ballistic and hurt myself doing irreparable damage to something while letting off steam over something I couldn't get to go right.

Nah, fech that, and I'll leave it up to you.... but then it's more your thing so all the best with it.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 9, 2014 6:28:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc...when I was a kid I must have built every plane from WWI up to Viet Nam in many versions. The Hustler was a purpose built nuclear bomber with supersonic capability. That big thingie under its belly carried the bomb and additional fuel. There was no internal bomb bay. It served from 1960 to 1970 and was replaced by the F-111A swing wing. The Revell model was a real pain to build. So much flash on the parts tree. I spent hours just cleaning them up.

May 9, 2014 8:38:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I remember that, Uvah. They wanted a smaller, more versatile bomber. It was a pig with fuel. 

The flash? I remember working hours with a razor blade from dad's razor to get the parts off the trees. Also, sometimes parts would warp in opposite directions. I remember softening them with mom's iron set on the lowest setting and straightening them slowly.

May 9, 2014 9:28:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hot water would have been a safer option.....terminal melt-down isn't a good thing when modelling ...

On the sim site [SOH] I've caught up with both the people who were in volved in both versions of the Commercial add-on.  Hopefully they can help with details re unknown/unfound gauges.  Meanwhile there's another 8 'levers' to convert to functioning animations.

There's really no difference at all between skinning the OS GUI and skinning a plane's 'GUI' ....

May 10, 2014 5:08:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Hot water would have been a safer option.....terminal melt-down isn't a good thing when modelling

Yeah, I remember that from my days of 'Airfix' modelling with my uncle when I was an almost teen.  He was just 3 years older than me so we were quite close in terms of interest and hobbies and the like... though he continued to make models well into his 20's and beyond, while I stopped around 14 or so to work with my father on non-school days, as well as be somewhat more adventurous in the great outdoors.

Anyway, we would always place the parts in a bowl of hot water after unpacking them from the box.  This served two main purposes: one, to remove the parts from the parts tree more easliy without damaging them; two, any excess plastic was more easily removed and sometimes would just fall off in the water, thus reducing the risk of damage with a craft knife.  Ah, they were the good old days... a Lancaster Bomber for 2 shillings and sixpence, and a cold Winter's weekend indoors was catered for.  Mind you, 2 & 6 was a lot of money in those days.

Speaking of the cost, I saw an Airfix Lancaster Bomber model in a Toys r Us shop window just recently and was staggered/completely gobsmacked at the price... $105.95.  Being that I quite enjoyed model making as a kid, it could be something that could get me off the PC more and doing something a little more constructive with my spare time, but I don't know that I'd pay out 106 bucks for one.

May 10, 2014 5:37:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There was a store a few blocks from my house that used to display models in a showcase. I made a deal with the owner of the store. I'd get a free model in exchange for putting the ones I already had in his showcase. I told him his showcase wasn't big enough, lol. Hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom was, no exaggeration, 100 model planes, 72nd scale, smallest one at the time. Then I went to the 48th scale and the 32nd scale. I had three favorites in the larger scale, ME-109...P-51 Mustang and the F/A 18 Hornet. The Hornet I modified a lot. I used those plastic fiber optics strands you get from a novelty shop, the ones attached to a globe. In the cockpit I drilled out the holes for lights, cut out squares with an x-acto knife and used clear plastic stock for displays. Tiny grain of wheat bulbs, no LED's then, to light 'em up. And painting them...tons of fun but tedious. I even had a separate display with several jets, all with the same paint scheme, from different countries. But like starkers said the cost these days....prohibitive! Those were the days.   -Sigh- 

May 10, 2014 9:26:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Currently I'm 50-something installments of $20 a time in a weekly construct of a fuel powered RC Red Bull F1 car ....it'll be about 2 grand before it's done.... but it's pretty impressive...priming damper oil in the shocks....grease in the diff....

...not exactly a 'toy'...

May 10, 2014 11:00:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
a fuel powered RC Red Bull F1 car

Will have to post some pix, sounds cool.. used to love racing real RC cars back in the day.. not the plastic things found in the toy section..Remote alone with Frequency chips could run up to $600-$700..

May 10, 2014 11:23:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
May 10, 2014 6:56:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sweet.. going to race against others? or just put around the neighborhood?

May 10, 2014 8:01:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting HG_Eliminator,

Quoting Jafo, reply 9a fuel powered RC Red Bull F1 car

Will have to post some pix, sounds cool.. used to love racing real RC cars back in the day.. not the plastic things found in the toy section..Remote alone with Frequency chips could run up to $600-$700..

A former neighbour of mine had a remote controlled 4WD that was worth over 2 grand.  He built it himself and used to race it at a special track in Kingston, a suburb not too far from where we lived. He won several cups and trophies while we were neighbours and was building a XJS Jaguar that he said it would cost him about 3000 grand by the time it was finished, but I moved before he'd completed it so I don't know how well it went.

It was a family thing, too. His brother had several RC cars that he also raced, and his 14 y/o son had a 4WD that was worth around $1200.  We lived in a relatively quiet street traffic-wise, and often they would be out in the street testing their cars after making adjustments, etc.

May 10, 2014 8:07:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting HG_Eliminator,

sweet.. going to race against others? or just put around the neighborhood?

I'll definitely run it...but not 'race'....the real 'entertainment' is in its construction...

May 13, 2014 1:36:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B58-2D-pit-6.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8154

Latest [final?] version of the cockpit panel.  Recoded some xml in a few gauges ....added 28 bezels to 'clean things up a bit'.  Essentially all the knobs, levers, etc function...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.