[2.20.0.850] Collective bug reporting thread / Still unfixed bugs / Suggestions

By on May 8, 2014 12:42:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

-TiM-

Join Date 01/2010
+8

As promised in another thread (http://forums.stardock.com/452133), here is my personal list of bugs – as far as i remember it since this spans over several years of unfixed issues and it is most likely NOT complete yet; i will add stuff when i remember or experience some more (one gets used to bugs standing for all this time so i have to see what still is there). Back then i thought it is enough to report something and not having to write it down somewhere also. Silly me. For more background information please visit the mentioned thread.

Near everyone of this has been reproduced by the Stardock support and has an internal ticket as far as i have been told by support. Everything is also tested on several different systems, all with very potent hardware, always up-to-date and well maintanenced and also tested by their support tool. If someone has a suggestion to fix anything i would love to hear it! The systems were/are running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) and now Windows 8/8.1 Pro "Update" (x64).

Maybe it is also a good thing to make a collection of all open bugs together. This could be easier for the developers to track them and we hopefully will see an approvement one day. I will update this as far as something changes. However, the statement below that "Stardock cannot do any better" by them does leave some open questions ...

Bugs:

01. Boot delay: ObjectDock slows down "booting" (meaning when the desktop is already shown and until the system responds normally; so, "system availability" is more correct) seriously. This has been slightly better with the newer versions, but not much. Especially when the weather docklet is on a dock, this is even worse (maybe because of the internet lookup – and, no, this is a 50 Mbit/s cable connection wich is blazing fast).

After further and more complex investigations i came to the conclusion that this most likely is caused by Windows 8/8.1 and its way of booting and starting the system and how it gives feedback about its state to the user. Quit not absolutely sure but closer than the other guess.

02. Network links: When linking to a place on a LAN, for example a simple folder, and you do NOT set that folder link to "Show folder in a menu" in the links settings, it takes up to several minutes (depending on network timeout i guess) until the link responds when clicked on the dock. Setting it to the folder view is the only workaround i found so far.

03. Tray icons: Several tray icons just don't work on a dock. Meaning, that if used (clicked) on the Windows taskbar, everything is fine. When right-clicked on a dock, in some cases at least the context menu opens still, but most menu entries are not clickable and don't get highlighted on mouseover. An example application would be cFosSpeed (www.cfos.de).

Addendum: cFosSpeed's tray icon context menu works now with a newer version. This means, this one is most likely not an OD bug. All other problems refering to this stayed the same of course. Another example is uTorrent but there is also the question if the application is causing the problems when trying to oopen/close by double-clicking the tray icon. A yet better and easier example for not working icons is AIMP (the media player). When it is set to open/close by double-click (default behaviour) and started, the first time double-clicking its tray icon on a dock does simply nothing. With the second and each other double-click, it works fine. Closing ObjectDock and using the Windows taskbar/tray immediately works and does so every time. Another example for a broken tray icon when on a dock is uTorrent. When minimized to the tray, in 8 out of 10 cases you are not able to re-open it the same way and do have to use the context menu instead. No problem with the Windows taskbar tray itself.

04. Previews: When setting a dock to show running applications and let them have full previews that show the content as miniatures of the program/folder on the dock, this has several bugs. Besides some performance and crash problems that mostly seem to be fixed, this sometimes leaves the application icon overlay on the dock even an application is closed, causing it to overlap with the next preview appearing (reproducable with Adobe applications for example). Also, when the dock is closed and started again, the previews are not refreshed automatically as they surely should. Sometimes it is enough to minimize and re-open a program/folder, sometimes it must the closed completely and re-opened. Screenshots added:

Image 01: The previews on one of the dock top center on my second screen. I have Firefox open and have closed Adobe InDesign just a few moments before. As you can see, the icon is still there and the dock behaves as if there is something else open (no, it is not; InDesign IS closed, no task still running or such). Also, both are positioned as if there were two applications running.

Image 02: I opened a second Application now (Adobe Photoshop). The Photoshop icon is overlayed by the In Design icon and in the middle is a space as if three applications are running (what is not wrong). Mostly, the icons do not overlap but one is bottom left on the preview and one is bottom right where it should be.

Addendum: This somewhat seems to be a little better with Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 so there might be a cause by the application and not the dock. Needs further investigation ...

05. AppImages.ini: This file is a crap collector. Every time you add a link to the dock that points to an executable, it saves a path. However, every time you remove something from the dock, it still keeps it. If you are backing up those files wich hold your configuration, this file is growing continouusly by abandoned path entries.

06. Focus: Several problems with the application focus and the dock. Sometimes, application lose focus when the dock is hovered (activated by mouse-over); other times, the dock itself cannot be hovered over an application with focus. Especially with several browser windows (hardware-acceleration problem?). Often it occurs with just normal windows or other applications in fullscreen or just maximized. Seems that the "sorting" of applications sometimes is messed up.

07. "This PC" link: When using a link to what formerly was "Workplace" (before Win8) and now is known as "This PC" (or such; loosely translating from the german version) on the dock and right-clicking it, one will see a trimmed down context menu. Therefore, one should hold shift and right-clicking when wanting to access the full entries from dock and OS. Those do show up, but selecting "Properties" for eaxample just shows the link properties and not the OS ones like over Control Panel -> System. This works on Start8 as it should if there is a "This PC" link on the Start Menu.

08. Link lables: When bringing the dock on top with mouseover when anything like an application or folder is maximized, the titles of the links are not shown. Correctly, when only the desktop is behind the dock, one sees the names of the links displayed over the docks (or dock tab labels as in my case) when hovering them with the mouse. For example a link to "This PC" would show the same text as a name. When something else is maximized, the dock is brought to top but those text label are not.

Seems to be fixed with update 2.20.0.850 beta.

09. Collapsing Start Menu: The Start Menu, wether used by a ObjectDock docklet or Start8 over ObjectDock often collapses in several cases before one can click the wanted entry. Most often this happens when trying to shut down or restart by hovering the bottom of the screen with the mouse (in my case) to bring ObjectDock to the foreground (because hidden), clicking the Start Menu docklet (wich open Start8 in my case) and selecting the arrow beside the "Shut down"-entry. Most likely everything collapses here (dock and Start Menu) and one has to repeat. Often this fails permanently and one has to shut down by other means. This also happens when the Start Menu/Start8 opens and the dock returns to its hidden state, wich will result in the Start Menu/Start8 menu to also collapse. This is VERY annoying!

10. Tray icon missing: When using tray icons on a docklet (i use a small, separate dock as a tray replacement) it sometimes happens that some tray icons are not remembered. This happens for sure wich the tray icon of Trillian (www.trillian.im), for example. When telling the dock to show this tray icon, it does so until next restart. Then there is an entry of an inactive (but checked) and an active (but unchecked) tray icon in the selection dialogue for the SAME program! This is alos represented in the corresponding INI file. With every try, the INI contains one more entry. It seems that the method by wich ObjectDock identifies or remembers tray icons fails in those cases.

11. Window sorting: I am not completely sure if this is caused by the dock or Windows itself, but since it works in all other applications by now, i guess it is the dock itself. This went worse since Windows 8 (and went more worse on 8.1/"Update"): when using a dock as taskbar replacement, one needs it to sort Windows and their front/back status. But every now and then it fails at this, resulting in the maximized application in front not allowing to bring the dock back to focus wich keeps the user from accessing his "taskbar" (replacement dock). Especially when the dock is hidden by default, this becomes even more annoying. Of course, Alt+Tab still works and systems without ObjectDock also. It just fails to manage the focus correctly. This may be a bit vague for a description, but i will try to do better if a developer ever gets interested in this thread ...

12. (by M4he, post #10): When JPEGView (freeware, link) is started, it is initially not displayed in OD (as a running application). It only shows up, after something else happens on the dock: a new application is started or any window is minimized (while the display of minimized windows is enabled) so that the dock gets refreshed.

13. Hide Windows taskbar: This option often does not work correctly. From Windows 7 on, it sometimes is normally shown together with the dock even when set on an freshly booted machine. Extremly annoying when the dock also sits at the bottom of the screen where the taskbar normally is. Also, way more often, the taskbar is shown only as a line (hidden) and dissappears completely only when hoevered. If it is not hovered, it stays. In rare cases, the whole system must be restarted to hide the taskbar (in some others, it is enough to restart the dock).

14. Label fonts: When changing the settings for the font used on the labels of a tabbed dock, this does nothing. Even affter restarting the whole dock. This might be a settings problem of some kind, but i tried nearly everything to fix this to no result.

15. Link to "This PC": When setting a link to "This PC" (formerly "Workplace") on the dock, this link does not work after several occassions on Windows 8 and up. First, after reinstalling Windows, even with the same versions and without changing anything. This especially happens when a newer version of Windows is installed (for example Windows 8 to 8.1 and now "Update") and lately it even happened after several Windows updates or even without anything. Sometimes, when clicking the link, it just does nothing at all; doing a new link to "This PC" on the dock immediately makes it work again. On Windows 7 this was never a problem and the link was working all the years, so there is a chance that this is caused by changes in Windows itself.

Suggestions:

01. Start menu: The location of the start menu is somewhat senseless since it opens over the dock and not bottom left on the screen the dock is on as it does on the taskbar or with the Windows key. I have been told this was a suggested feature. However, it should be at last configurable.

02. Stack docklet: This has been wanted by far by the most users and has been requested that often i just would like to show that i support that idea. However, there should be some kind of a toolkit or better API for docklets or just some more default ones coming with the dock. There have been tons of good ideas around here that need no more introduction.

03. (by M4he, post #10): Option to add an adjustable horizontal spacing between icons for a whole dock. (The icons are too close together for some skins I think)

25 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 8, 2014 2:57:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

01. Start menu: The location of the start menu is somewhat senseless since it opens over the dock and not bottom left on the screen the dock is on as it does on the taskbar or with the Windows key. I have been told this was a suggested feature. However, it should be at last configurable

I would be interested to know who else has this problem. I open my SM from OD often. It opens exactly the same way and position I may have it set at. Have it mostly set at the bottom left as you stated and doesn't matter if I open it from a top or bottom dock it opens on the bottom left. For the 7 years I have been here it has always open correctly.

May 8, 2014 4:29:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
I would be interested to know who else has this problem. I open my SM from OD often. It opens exactly the same way and position I may have it set at. Have it mostly set at the bottom left as you stated and doesn't matter if I open it from a top or bottom dock it opens on the bottom left. For the 7 years I have been here it has always open correctly.

Support guys told me that it was a "requested feature" that the start menu does not open completely bottom left of the screen as it does via task bar or windows key (the default position). My dock is bottom middle on the screen and it opens directly over the dock now, depending on where you place the corresponding link on the dock. However, there is no way to configure this aside from the link placement i know of. They just seem to take the bottom left corner of the start menu and place it over your cursor where you click the link; some ugly way to do that – however, a minor annyoance besides all the others. This has been added in one of the two last updates.

May 12, 2014 7:49:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

09.* Collapsing Start Menu: The Start Menu, wether used by a ObjectDock docklet or Start8 over ObjectDock often collapses in several cases before one can click the wanted entry. Most often this happens when trying to shut down or restart by hovering the bottom of the screen with the mouse (in my case) to bring ObjectDock to the foreground (because hidden), clicking the Start Menu docklet (wich open Start8 in my case) and selecting the arrow beside the "Shut down"-entry. Most likely everything collapses here (dock and Start Menu) and one has to repeat. Often this fails permanently and one has to shut down by other means. This also happens when the Start Menu/Start8 opens and the dock returns to its hidden state, wich will result in the Start Menu/Start8 menu to also collapse. This is VERY annoying!

10. * Tray icon missing: When using tray icons on a docklet (i use a small, separate dock as a tray replacement) it sometimes happens that some tray icons are not remembered. This happens for sure wich the tray icon of Trillian (www.trillian.im), for example. When telling the dock to show this tray icon, it does so until next restart. Then there is an entry of an inactive (but checked) and an active (but unchecked) tray icon in the selection dialogue for the SAME program! This is alos represented in the corresponding INI file. With every try, the INI contains one more entry. It seems that the method by wich ObjectDock identifies or remembers tray icons fails in those cases.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 12, 2014 8:18:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hello -TiM- I never realized how many actual problems their are with O.D as far as the problems you listed I have pretty much most of them I thought this was actually normal now I see I was completely incorrect. On my laptop I use windows 7 ultimate 32bit and O.D works fine no problems,but on my desktop I run Windows 7 64bit and having (with what obviously are more problems than what i thought) it seems to be centered mostly around 64bit O.S. I sure hope here in the near future that Stardock see's these posts and help us O.D users a bit of help please!!

May 12, 2014 8:39:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey bodadog!

Maybe that is what many other users think also? I don't know. However, as for my personal understanding, in this modern days bugs get reported and solved and the story ends there. But in this case it is something special as you can read in the other thread by c242 i linked to at the beginning of my first posting.

Surely there are major and minor problems, but when you take all this minor problems and look at them together, doesn't that make it a major one of some sorts?

Many programs have special or additional difficulties and bugs under the x64-platform. That comes from stricter security and other different settings in the Windows OS. But also we are going more and mor to this platform and most companies just adjust their programs, even when this is not that easy as with a dock (for example, Sandboxie had some hard times in this context as it is by far more close to the Windows core). Hopefully, also Stardock will maybe try some other ways to adress this as other applications can do those things even on x64.

This thread is just meant to bring it all together in one place to support the developers and maybe motivate them to fix the issues and not have to read through the whole forum with their surely less time! But that implicates that other users join and help, like communities normally do. I for myself like to support projects i use and like; even when they are freeware (or especially then), wich ObjectDock is not wich should be rememvered here also.

May 12, 2014 8:56:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I sure hope you are right if we all come together on this maybe it will register with Stardock to address these obviously known problems and or bugs I love the Stardock apps have all but windows 8 apps and they are just Cool as Hell especially the great skinners in this awesome community!

May 12, 2014 9:08:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There seems to be a lot of threads on O.D how could they possibly disregard this. As for the booting problem I don't let it run in my start up I open it manually once my PC is completely booted.

May 12, 2014 4:07:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bodadog,
There seems to be a lot of threads on O.D how could they possibly disregard this

Been asking this for years.

May 16, 2014 6:20:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

11.* Window sorting: I am not completely sure if this is caused by the dock or Windows itself, but since it works in all other applications by now, i guess it is the dock itself. This went worse since Windows 8 (and went more worse on 8.1/"Update"): when using a dock as taskbar replacement, one needs it to sort Windows and their front/back status. But every now and then it fails at this, resulting in the maximized application in front not allowing to bring the dock back to focus wich keeps the user from accessing his "taskbar" (replacement dock). Especially when the dock is hidden by default, this becomes even more annoying. Of course, Alt+Tab still works and systems without ObjectDock also. It just fails to manage the focus correctly. This may be a bit vague for a description, but i will try to do better if a developer ever gets interested in this thread ...

May 22, 2014 5:23:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You may add the following bug to the list:

• When JPEGView (freeware, link) is started, it is initially not displayed in OD (as a running application). It only shows up, after something else happens on the dock: a new application is started or any window is minimized (while the display of minimized windows is enabled) so that the dock gets refreshed.

And, if you agree, the following suggestion as well:

• Option to add an adjustable horizontal spacing between icons for a whole dock. (The icons are too close together for some skins I think)
May 23, 2014 5:02:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey M4he,

it's not a question if i agree, if someone has a suggestion than that is fine enough!

I will collect know every report in the first posting as long as the forum allows that by its length. Thanks for your contribution!

May 28, 2014 4:31:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

13.* Hide Windows taskbar: This option often does not work correctly. From Windows 7 on, it sometimes is normally shown together with the dock even when set on an freshly booted machine. Extremly annoying when the dock also sits at the bottom of the screen where the taskbar normally is. Also, way more often, the taskbar is shown only as a line (hidden) and dissappears completely only when hoevered. If it is not hovered, it stays. In rare cases, the whole system must be restarted to hide the taskbar (in some others, it is enough to restart the dock).

June 4, 2014 4:43:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

04. Previews (Addendum): Had the chance to take pictures of this one. Added in the first post.

June 6, 2014 8:58:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

03. Tray icons (Addendum): I found out by chance that at least the cFosSpeed tray icons context menu works now. Since they brought out a new version and OD stayed the same version it seems this one is not an OD bug. All other tray icon problems however stayed the same why i keep this point still up. Added in the first posting.

June 6, 2014 1:34:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

14.* Label fonts: When changing the settings for the font used on the labels of a tabbed dock, this does nothing. Even affter restarting the whole dock. This might be a settings problem of some kind, but i tried nearly everything to fix this to no result. Added in the first posting.

June 11, 2014 7:14:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

15.* Link to "This PC": When setting a link to "This PC" (formerly "Workplace") on the dock, this link does not work after several occassions on Windows 8 and up. First, after reinstalling Windows, even with the same versions and without changing anything. This especially happens when a newer version of Windows is installed (for example Windows 8 to 8.1 and now "Update") and lately it even happened after several Windows updates or even without anything. Sometimes, when clicking the link, it just does nothing at all; doing a new link to "This PC" on the dock immediately makes it work again. On Windows 7 this was never a problem and the link was working all the years, so there is a chance that this is caused by changes in Windows itself. Added above.

July 2, 2014 7:04:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bugs:

03. Tray icons: Added a new and better example this time definitely caused by Object Dock above.

July 17, 2014 1:30:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was asked by support if the new beta does anything listed above better or even solves it. After much testin i am afraid it does not. I found a single point that seemed to work better. After the beta is now official, i guess i can update this here now also. However, when looking at the changelog it is no surprise nothing above is fixed because it does not even mention anything close to it. I do not know why they even asked then.

Anyway; in the end it is an update we all waited for long enough even if it does not fix my personal bugs or anything i ever saw on my systems.

July 17, 2014 1:49:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To be honest I didn't expect any more...

July 17, 2014 3:23:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is the best Stardock can do given that the Windows OS has been locked down quite considerably from being able to handle some of these “buggy” situations. Some of them were just not fixable.

We understand your concerns, but we aggregated everyone’s issues and fixed everything that was possible.

July 17, 2014 3:51:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First time someone tells me that more is not possible; that is quit a new situation then. But i was wondering since some of my friends use the same system but the Nexus dock that does not have this issues and even still offers a free version. However, i prefer ObjectDock so far.

If you really cannot fix this issues, you may close this thread as it has no further use. I am afraid that one day ObjectDock will lose many features as Windows surely won't be easier to modify in the future.

July 20, 2014 11:29:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not a thing changed on the new update....what a Bummer.

The settings window close X is still broken.

Closing the task manager makes the rest of windows 8 lag for a while, and that ONLY happens when OD is open....what kind of beta testers do you guys have?

I happily moved to Rocket Dock and I think I will never look back.....not at least until these guys come with OD3 completely re written from the inside out.

July 21, 2014 7:25:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I dont know what to do more. I was hoping for the communities support withing the forums. However, when Stardock tells me it cannot do a better product than this, what for should i continue? It's a sad thing since other companies can do better and offer for free as mentioned above.

I would prefer Nexus dock over Rocket Dock since the later is not worked on for more years than even ObjectDock. It is a bit messy and has far to much senseless features but does way better than ObjectDock actually. Also, Winstep does still develop Nexus Dock and does relatively regular updates when needed. I install the free one on PCs i administrate. Under the current circumstances i cannot advice for ObjectDock any more to friends and family.

Don't know what to say asides that. I am really disappointed. Before Fences 2 there were also so many announced features like backgrounds and such that never arrived by today. It really seems to be the time to move on; reminds me of the Microsoft desasters with Vista and 8. Sadly, there are no really good docks around actually. They even wouldn't have any compatition!

Bla.

July 21, 2014 4:50:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Problem is : Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeendless patience by long time regulars. And those, that dared to say somthing from time to time where gagged by the ones that think we all should be thankful for what we got instead of trying to make it even better. Some ran away frustrated. Some expressed their anger and were demoted. Some became quiet, some opportunistic. You see the picture...

What makes me angry: The software (as other like IP also) is still being sold and people still run into the same problems as seen for years in the forums. If not the CEO, as a developer I would be ashamed.

July 22, 2014 3:43:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I guess there may be new limitations with Windows 8 and up, okay. And they said STARDOCK is not able to do better (what does not mean others can like in the examples above). At least they are so honest to admit that.

On the other side many reported stuff is not colliding with Windows at all (a not working close button as Spyrofunk put it for an easy example). So you guys tell may be right and it is really time to move on.

Sadly you even cannot sell this products.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.