Still using Win XP PRO

By on May 7, 2014 1:25:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

johnnybay

Join Date 05/2014

Changed from IE8 to Firefox, anything else I can do? Or should I just take it out back and shoot it?

40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 7, 2014 4:50:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you go online make sure your A/V programs are kept up to date. I'd go with Advanced System Care and MS's Security Essentials backed up by MalwareBytes and Threatfire but instead of the free versions use the paid ones as they have more capabilities and are very good when it comes to blocking unwanted stuff on your rig. The new WhiteHat browser is also very good. It has adblock and no track built in and is made by a security firm. The latest patches MS released will probably be the last. When all is said and done its about the best you can do. Barring that...take it out back and give it a decent funeral. One more thing...create a separate user account with the least privileges. This way anything that does get through can't access anything because the administrator account, your's, is not active. Good luck.  

May 7, 2014 10:26:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

At this point, I recommend that anyone who runs Windows XP needs to upgrade if they have the means.

May 7, 2014 11:28:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^ That's the correct recommendation.

Short of that? Get on some serious virtual software. 

But you're asking for a disaster you can ill afford, johnnybay.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 7, 2014 12:34:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have Compaq Operating System Disc. Is there a Limit of how many times it can be used. Is there something I could do while reinstalling it to help my ~Xstinction~,. What do you say over a dead 14 yr old Cumputer that's become part of the Family. Is there anything inside I can save for My nexy 14yr.old machine?

May 7, 2014 3:36:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting johnnybay,
Is there a Limit of how many times it can be used.

Don't know.

Quoting johnnybay,
Is there something I could do while reinstalling it to help my ~Xstinction~,.

Not really, the problem is that the o/s is no longer being supported/patched going forward.

Quoting johnnybay,
Is there anything inside I can save for My nexy 14yr.old machine?

Extremely doubtful, different slots, interfaces, o/s drivers. Even if there were something that happened to move over, you really wouldn't want to use it - headaches, and it would be disproportionately slow for the new machine.

If you really want to keep the old machine around, the best thing to do is leave it alone, unplug it from the internet and leave it unplugged from the internet, and use it to run whatever software is already on it that will run without internet connection.

Nice job on the 14 years.   Nobody can say you didn't get a good life out of that one.

May 7, 2014 4:09:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hook it to your TV and use it as a media box.

May 7, 2014 4:24:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting johnnybay,
What do you say over a dead 14 yr old Cumputer that's become part of the Family.

Kaddish. 

May 7, 2014 4:58:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any suggestions for a cheap... I mean inexpensive desk top machine. I have keyboard. mouse and screen. Old Xp only had 1g memory don't need much more. Any place for used machines? A two year old machine would be like new to Me. Thanks for all the Help, real nice place you got Here.

May 7, 2014 5:02:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Media Box? It can take the place of a TWC Cable Box

May 7, 2014 5:09:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No, but if you have any movies on the PC......   and you can watch online video with it, but that would need to be net connected, maybe not a good idea on an OS unsupported by MS.

I use a windows 7 rig to watch movies, listen to music, run dreams or screensavers, on my 42 " plasma screen TV. Netflix too. I may even play a game now and then on the big screen.

May 8, 2014 3:33:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting johnnybay,
Any place for used machines?

Tiger Direct sells off-lease and refurbished.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2024-_-CatId_6

Scroll down about 1/3rd of the page, on the left side under the "Condition" category you'll see "New", "Off-Lease", and "Refurbished" links.

NewEgg sells refurbished.

http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-PCs/Category/ID-228

Left side of page, you'll see a "Refurbished" link.

May 8, 2014 9:59:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If I were still Using XP Pro I'd probably have myself committed to an asylum for the technically insane and ask them to put me in a strait Jacket and padded cell until someone had gone around and destroyed it or the fever broke.

Fortunately for them I'm not... and I mean 'them'  Yeah, last time I was in such an institution for a sabbattical I got under the skins of those nice young men in their clean white coats and some became inmates as well... you know, wearing those gowns that never quite close/do up at the back.  One of 'em, thought he was a bit of a ladies man, used to put his on back to front and trundle up to the womens ward so they'd cop an optic.

Anyhow, enough about the nuthouse [I feel a bit homesick] and back to the task at hand.  I was reading on NT Compatible the other day that Ubuntu 14 is a good replacement for XP and may suit those who cannot afford new hardware. Given its small footprint and being light on resources, Ubuntu will run on most older hardware quite well. 

Furthermore: it will receive 5 years support for OS updates and whatever patches are required; it has a software repository so there's no need to go scouring the net for apps/utilities, etc; it has a large forum community and help pages for any difficulties encountered, and best of all it's free.

Okay, so it's not Windows, but beggars can't be choosers and it's probably the easiest Linux distro to learn and use.  Besides, it will dual boot with XP so there is no need to toss it out.  For internet use and emails, etc, one would use Ubuntu, and XP for everything else... providing it is disconnected from the net and cannot access it.

Orright, so it's not Windows, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and if Ubuntu fills the void XP left behind, well I can see why not.  Money for new hardware does not grow on trees, so while you're saving for a new PC, why not make use of what you've got and stick Ubuntu on it.... and did I mention its free?

Oi, is it a full moon tonight?  If not it's close cos I'm feeling strange again.

May 8, 2014 12:09:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I'm feeling strange again

Again??

May 8, 2014 4:33:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll bet strange is liking that!    

May 8, 2014 11:19:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I bet Starkers is typing 300 words a minute. Thanks dark and gloomy. Yeah. thanks every body I guess I needed a push into the future. Do you guys deal with PhenomTT? That's the name he gave on the MarkandLynda podcast, I contacted him because I was banned from the site but I was getting back in until, I think they blocked everything from my Xppro. Can Jordan block everything from my ip address or is Xppro to easy to block? If i'm getting annoying just say so  

May 8, 2014 11:27:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can I acess the internet on my Xppro thru another Computer. Would that help anything?

May 9, 2014 12:36:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When you're IP-banned you're IP-banned.  It means your computer cannot access the site's domain.  There's little mileage to be gained from accessing the site from another's machine as the site's Admin/s will simply ban any new address you use.

When someone has access to a site revoked it is usually for a good reason, so no amount of attempting to circumvent it will go unnoticed or last....

May 9, 2014 12:38:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

...and 'Phenom TT' is an alternate nick for HG_Eliminator ...

May 9, 2014 1:16:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The access thru another computer is just for My Xppro. Thought it could catch viruses and stuff,  Entering thru another IP Address I'd reregister by another name. Wicth I've done before, I cant enter the MarkandLynda podcast but they also have Coolstories in music podcast which I still enter and leave comments on there shows. But if Jordon catches my code he deletes it before the members can sees it. I've contacted people inside and nobody knows why I was Banned. Ask TT why johnnybay was banned. No one will talk because they'll be banned. JAFO you'er not very smart, unless  you're Cop. then disregard the smart crack.

May 9, 2014 2:09:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

PhenomTT is my alternate nick As Jafo stated.. I went there simply to offer a service as requested by my wife. I do not know the reason as per why u were banned, Nor have I asked as it's not my place..

Being a site admin/moderator for many sites spanning almost 2 decades, I realized long ago folks run their sites according to the rule-set of their choosing, If I don't like the way someone runs their site, I have the freedom to not return. Griping about their rules will typically only see me finding a boot at my backside that much quicker.

Really the only way to solve your predicament is to email the admin and deal with them in a cordial manor. Hopefully with some hat in hand conversation you can come to an amicable resolution. If not, sometimes one has to just suck it up and move on..

Best of luck..

May 9, 2014 3:57:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Everything you said is exacty right. I mean every single word, i'm not kissing up. I broke no rule and was not told why I was Banned. I posted something Lynda didnt like, but she won't tell me or the site what it was and everybody is scared to mention johnnybay. Aaron A lied about me and called me a ~Troll~. I hate ~Bullies~..... ~I won't be wronged. I won't be Lied To, and I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these to others and I expect the same from them~  John Wayne, The Shootist. The've done other lying, deciveing but I ..Know,, you don't want to hear it.  It's not your place? You'er to scared to asked a Question .I'd tell you what I think of you but... your just one of the ~Pod People~. Any post in the web site ends with peace is mine.Jordan's got 7 of my e-mails . he dose'nt write me because  his protecting Lynda. You are talking to DR.Debooze, hes known me  since I started the site. Tell him you heard from ~Ginny~ ~Rick~ ~Kat~ ~Sallymay~ ~Webtv~ ~jack~ and ~Aaron A.~ it will make sense of are conversations. I log in as the real Aaron A. except with a period and I get some good information, I know it's not your place. Pleace!

May 9, 2014 8:29:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

johnnybay ... it appears you have an issue with another site totally unconnected with Stardock's sites.  Our sites are not an avenue for the disenfranchised [from elsewhere] to vent their spleen.

As HG_E has said...the 'solution' is to approach the site with which you have an issue...hat-in-hand and seek a resolution.

Attempting to bring external issues here will only see you removed from yet another site's forum[s].

The issue is not ours...it is yours - alone.

May 9, 2014 2:57:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Quoting starkers, reply 12I'm feeling strange again

Again??

Wot, you sayin' I shoulda said "strange still"?

May 9, 2014 5:53:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can I access the internet for My Xppro thru another computer. Would that help with viruses and stuff

May 9, 2014 6:01:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting johnnybay,
Would that help with viruses and stuff
If your goal is to expose two rigs to them, I would say yes.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.