What age is to Young for technology?

By on May 3, 2014 10:15:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WinMonster2

Join Date 02/2006
+44

Let me start off by telling you all why I am posing this Question. 

Yesterday I was driving down the road and a couple of young people with thier noses stuck in thier cell phones stepped off the curb in front me even though the walk sign said don't walk.

I pose this question because this is now the second time this has happened to me.

These kids did not look much older than 8 or 9 years old.

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 3, 2014 10:40:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey WM2...obviously their phones were 'smarter' than them...distracted walking gets idiots killed too. 

Darwin Prize in 3...2...1...

Get close, stop and hopefully your horn is loud enough to scare the shit out of them. Maybe they'll even drop the phones, and they'll break. Bahahaha.

May 3, 2014 10:57:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Age is not the deciding factor with this current scenario.. plenty of adults experience the same lack of attention span when using mobile devices.. driving, walking, jogging, bike riding.. it makes no difference..

A discussion on what age are youth old enough to be mature enough to handle such devises will be IMO problematic at best.. as maturity really is not age specific.. I've met plenty of folks middle aged who act about as mature if not less than my youngest teen..

I do however believe education to Kid's of "all" ages the dangers of tech when improperly used is imperative.. too many weirdos out there to put on blinders and pretend everything's fine..

May 3, 2014 11:07:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My two year old, Miss Ellie knows her way round our iPad better than I do...............

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 4, 2014 12:03:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

May 4, 2014 12:04:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kids are old enough to use technology as soon as they demonstrate they will not eat it or use it for teething. 

May 4, 2014 12:46:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you WebGizmos, there are always parts of our life that we fail to realize that we give up without even knowing we have that we can never get back.  Something to think about.  

May 4, 2014 12:54:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

nice find Giz..

May 4, 2014 4:25:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can remember back in the 70's when eveyone on the morning commuter trains had their heads stuck in the morning paper rather than talk to someone.

Not a lot has changed.... instead they are fiddling with mobile phones or tablets these days.... rather than talk to somebody.

And here on these forums... a handful of regular posters and 1000's of lurkers feeding off what's been said.

For mine, when someone can't even ackowledge that you're there and can't even be bothered to speak to you out of simple courtesy, well that's when you just kick 'em in the nuts and move on... a consideration that has crossed my mind yet again.

May 4, 2014 6:54:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting HG_Eliminator,
nice find Giz..

May 4, 2014 9:22:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Having lost my 7 year old daughter to some distracted 16 year old idiot in 1994, that video actually brought tears to my eyes Giz.

If only we, the human race, would put down our technological devices more often than we use them, the world might be a better place.

May 4, 2014 9:53:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice video WebGizmos , Sorry to hear about your daughter Lightstar I came really close to hitting these youngsters.

They were lucky that I was going slower than the speed limit when they stepped off the curb.

Personally I can live without my phone, But some people can't.

Quoting Cykur,
Kids are old enough to use technology as soon as they demonstrate they will not eat it or use it for teething.

Yes but are they mature enough to use it responsibly is the real question

May 4, 2014 10:05:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Having lost my 7 year old daughter to some distracted 16 year old idiot in 1994, that video actually brought tears to my eyes Giz.

If only we, the human race, would put down our technological devices more often than we use them, the world might be a better place.

So sorry to hear that, Tom - please accept my condolences. Didn't know. 

May 4, 2014 10:10:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks WinMonster2. I can definitely live without my cell phone too, most of the time it ends up shutting itself off because of the battery going too low, and I don't even know or miss it. For me it's just for emergencies and it just stays in its case.

May 4, 2014 11:01:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Let me start off by telling you all why I am posing this Question. 

Yesterday I was driving down the road and a couple of young people with thier noses stuck in thier cell phones stepped off the curb in front me even though the walk sign said don't walk.

I pose this question because this is now the second time this has happened to me.

These kids did not look much older than 8 or 9 years old.

I live near a prep school, and the kids act the same way. Practically lining up at the crosswalk like lemmings waiting their turn to get mowed down. Yea, these kids may be academic achievers, but they have zero sense of self preservation.

May 4, 2014 12:00:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,
I live near a prep school, and the kids act the same way. Practically lining up at the crosswalk like lemmings waiting their turn to get mowed down. Yea, these kids may be academic achievers, but they have zero sense of self preservation.

Children's minds under around 10 years aren't sufficiently matured to comprehend [interpret] speed and distance.  They also can become singularly-involved.... hence their propensity for chasing balls onto a roadway.

You 'shouldn't' allow your kids to even ride bikes in traffic ...until their age is in double digits....

As for mobiles, etc.... you may as well paint targets on them....just to be sure...

May 4, 2014 12:01:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting WinMonster2,
Yes but are they mature enough to use it responsibly is the real question

They might not be mature enough to use it responsibly well into adulthood.  I can't tell you how many times I've passed a weaving car to find someone texting or seen an adult walking oblivious to their surroundings with their nose in a smartphone.  Or for that matter having a loud conversation via mobile device in a small enclosed space like a coffee shop.

May 4, 2014 12:04:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Cykur,
Or for that matter having a loud conversation via mobile device in a small enclosed space like a coffee shop.

Isn't that what they're for?

You know....including EVERYONE in earshot into your conversation....because what YOU say is IMPORTANT and must be HEARD?....

May 4, 2014 12:57:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's the parents. They have a syndrome which makes them believe they are right, everyone else is wrong, and their kids are wonderful and don't need correcting.

Here's a good example. I went out for a drive today. Near me is a narrow but open country road. I passed some cyclists - two parents, and two kids, probably about 7-8 years old. I went past slowly, but, this road has a 60mph speed limit. What are parents thinking taking small children cycling on a road like that?

You see parents like this all the time, full of their own self importance and 'correctness'. When they speak to the child, they usually speak in the third person and in an over corrected form of English "Daddy said not to do that". That self importance is branded onto the child who then grows up with a sense of entitlement and a false belief that they are responsible adults.

May 4, 2014 1:42:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Borg999, reply 14I live near a prep school, and the kids act the same way. Practically lining up at the crosswalk like lemmings waiting their turn to get mowed down. Yea, these kids may be academic achievers, but they have zero sense of self preservation.

Children's minds under around 10 years aren't sufficiently matured to comprehend [interpret] speed and distance.  They also can become singularly-involved.... hence their propensity for chasing balls onto a roadway.

You 'shouldn't' allow your kids to even ride bikes in traffic ...until their age is in double digits....

As for mobiles, etc.... you may as well paint targets on them....just to be sure...

These kids are 12-18...old enough to know better.

May 4, 2014 3:33:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

First thing....I'm sorry to hear about your daughter Tom...I can almost imagine what you went through.

As far as these damn phones...and I'm sure I'll get flack for saying this...but they are turning people into morons/zombies/unsociables. And I never understood the texting crap...the phone has a speaker and microphone...use them already! Even computers are turning people unsociable....and no...I don't consider things like facebook to be social in any way. I honest;y feel that the best thing that cold happen to us is for the phones and computers to just go down...forcing people to interact like we once did.

And TV's are just as bad. If it weren't for the health problem I have I wouldn't be watching TV at all more than likely. All I see anymore are dumb ass "reality" which aren't and a million commercials for how obsolete the phone you bought last is. I can literally feel my IQ falling through my feet even seeing them for a few seconds. I've worn all the numbers ans letters off my controller from turning channels to avoid all the dumb crap on TV. And that should follow right along with the TV and phones. I'd be willing to bet society would come back to normal in no time if that happened.

May 4, 2014 7:02:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
First thing....I'm sorry to hear about your daughter Tom...I can almost imagine what you went through.

Thanks Steve. 

Quoting WebGizmos,
I'd be willing to bet society would come back to normal in no time if that happened.

I doubt that would ever happen though, but using your words, I would say that, 90% of the human race are "morons/zombies/unsociables" by choice. I doubt if anything would really change them. 

May 4, 2014 7:16:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OOPS

May 4, 2014 9:05:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
I doubt that would ever happen though, but using your words, I would say that, 90% of the human race are "morons/zombies/unsociables" by choice. I doubt if anything would really change them.

I would hope that having to actually leave the house and interact face to face with other people might snap them out of it...no more hiding behind a screen or alias. But if there is really no hope for that....any further discussion on that subject is pointless and it will just only get worse...sad...sad for all the younger folks that will never experience what we did.

May 5, 2014 6:32:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

Quoting LightStar, reply 21I doubt that would ever happen though, but using your words, I would say that, 90% of the human race are "morons/zombies/unsociables" by choice. I doubt if anything would really change them.

I would hope that having to actually leave the house and interact face to face with other people might snap them out of it...no more hiding behind a screen or alias. But if there is really no hope for that....any further discussion on that subject is pointless and it will just only get worse...sad...sad for all the younger folks that will never experience what we did.

Agreed.

May 5, 2014 1:03:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.